11/19/11 GB Update ... safe yet?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Ran a quick search through the recent threads and didn't see any mention of this yet - apologies if I missed something.
Since the debacle in August, I've been keen to check this forum before I accept any updates (I never updated, or attempted to, to GB.)

The last update a few days ago got pulled for being the same exact update as the one in August.

I just got another notification today for what I assume is the "corrected" version:
4.08.605.2 / 87.7MB

Is this safe to install yet, or are there more issues to come?

I'm running stock froyo and unrooted.

Thanks.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought 4.08 supposedly fixed the issues that 4.06 introduced (which I never touched) but if there are still problems with the new 4.08, I guess I'll hold in a wait-and-see pattern.

Thanks.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
got my notification of update this morning, think i will wait to see how this one works out before i hit install...

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did the first update and all the follow up including one that came yesterday. I've had no problems yet. And, at the risk of jinxing myself, I've yet to see that tormenting low memory notification since this last install. Keeping. My fingers crossed on that one!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I actually jumped in the deep end of the pool on this, and it installed and rebooted perfectly. So far all apps are showing and running as I expected.
Android version 2.3.4
Baseband version 2.15.10.07.07
Kernel version 2.6.35.13-g03546aa htc-kernel@and 18-2 #1 Friday Oct 7 10:52:52 CST 2011
Build number 4.08.605.2 CL 185897 release-keys
Software number 4.08.605.2
Browser version WebKit/533.1
PRI Version 1.28_002
PRL Version 52418
ERI Wersion 5

Anyone need more information????

Reactions: DMcKerrow

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Might have found something
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally came across an apparent glitch with today's one step upgrade:confused:.... my PC (Win7) shows two removable drives when I plug in to the computer, even when it just plugged in as Charge Only! I clicked on each separately, PC was unable to detect the drives (internal and SD card.) I disconnected the cable, unmounted the SD card, reconnected the cable as charge only, and yet the computer still popped up with two removable disk drives, and in Device Manager, two HTC Android Phone USB Devices show up when the charge only is plugged in.
INTERESTINGish.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Might have found something
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally came across an apparent glitch with today's one step upgrade:confused:.... my PC (Win7) shows two removable drives when I plug in to the computer, even when it just plugged in as Charge Only! I clicked on each separately, PC was unable to detect the drives (internal and SD card.) I disconnected the cable, unmounted the SD card, reconnected the cable as charge only, and yet the computer still popped up with two removable disk drives, and in Device Manager, two HTC Android Phone USB Devices show up when the charge only is plugged in.
INTERESTINGish.

Isn't this standard behavior?
I've only plugged in my phone to my PC like twice, so I don't remember, but I do recall seeing the 2 devices appear.

But just to clarify, did you upgrade straight from 2.2 > 2.3.4 with this 4.08 update, or did you go through that intermediary 4.06 update? Were you ever rooted at all?

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It was the one step 4.08 version put out on Nov 20th. And no, it was not normal when plugging in strictly as charge only to have two drives pop up, and it was never normal to have two drives show, but when clicked on, told that I needed to insert a disc!

BTW, second glitch in About Phone"Battery"...thin blue pixilated horizontal line that when the usage bar gets pulled down, turns into multiple blue 'bar code'esque lines across the bottom 1/4 of the screen.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got the update pushed to my phone again. Try to download. It counts down and then nothing. I am getting tired of this.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with the count down and then nothing...I followed the instructions in this thread and was able to get the update to install and reboot. Give it a shot and good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress