If it's not one thing, it's another with this "Incredible"

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I gotta say I was really happy about the Incredible initially, despite the common problems, but it's getting too much.

Battery problems - sometimes the fixes on here work, sometimes it'll still use up battery in 4 hours, despite not changing anything.

Software related, but deleted all my texts, then backup program couldn't restore. Had to uninstall messaging software. restore. then reinstall

Keeps flipping to first screen to the right of the home screen by itself.

WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT PHONE, IT RESENT OLD TEXT MESSAGES, BUT TO THE RANDOM PEOPLE. This could have gotten me fired. Incredible violation of privacy.

FM Radio program no longer lets me scroll frequencies or press buttons (despite a restart). Just plays that one station.

And now no one can hear what me talking on the other end, despite 3 bars of service.

*** It's like it just won't let me enjoy the phone.

And even if there's fixes out there, it shouldn't be this hard for an average user to enjoy all the features should it?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't consider myself an average user, but I enjoy all my features. Maybe you got a bad phone? Have you tried a full factory reset? I know everyone always suggests that but it seems to solve more problems than anything. Most issues seem to come from third party apps.

My screen was doing the flip thing at first and it bugged the crap out of me. I then noticed when I went to lay my phone on the desk my palm was going over the optical joystick and making to do it. I was like really?? Then I realized the only reason it was doing it was because it was picking up my palm as a finger moving across it and it was me doing it!

As far as nobody being able to hear you, I'm not sure, I know I don't have to yell into mine, but I either use a blue tooth headset or the speaker phone most of the time. Haven't had any issues as of yet with using it the regular way either though.

Tough luck on that one dude, sounds like you haven't had a good time with your phone, and that sucks.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if a master reset doesn't fix your issues that are not self-inflicted, it may be time for a replacement.

lilnut13

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I had the not being able to hear me thing on the very first day I had the phone and I was FREAKING out.

I had checked and rechecked all my settings, and everything was fine. The only way I could communicate with people were text messages. So I was compairing all my settings to my brothers settings and everything was as it should be.

I was on my way back to the verizon store to have a fit and did a battery pull for one last ditch effort to get it to work and guess what, it did the trick and I havn't had that problem sense!

Hope it helps!

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Pulled the battery and now people can hear me.

I guess they mainly seem to be software related....but I haven't downloaded that many apps...and I think they're all fairly common / mainstream ones.

Just feel like 50% of my phone use time is spent on problem solving

Maybe that factory reset will help...

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Pulled the battery and now people can hear me.

I guess they mainly seem to be software related....but I haven't downloaded that many apps...and I think they're all fairly common / mainstream ones.

Just feel like 50% of my phone use time is spent on problem solving

Maybe that factory reset will help...

sorry for all your troubles! I have been using mine since the day it launched with no issues so hopefully yours will be worked out soon.

mchapman007

Apr 28, 2010
www.mobilematt.net
sorry for all your troubles! I have been using mine since the day it launched with no issues so hopefully yours will be worked out soon.

Mine as well, not a single issue to speak of. I have downloaded and installed 31 apps so far without a hitch, my battery will last all day, best phone I have ever had!

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
The flipping home screens happened to me once.

The other day, answering a couple calls the other people on the other end couldn't hear me.

Both were fixed with power off/on.

But, yeah, I'm having some weird things happen that I keep needing to "reboot" to fix.

I shouldn't need to keep doing this.

Yup, people say that maybe I got a bad one... Well, if I didn't read of others having these same problems, they were solid failures, or power off/on didn't fix, I'd agree. Instead, they are very intermittant adn happen without warning, and rarely. So I have to think its a problem with software on the incredible.

For those that say "factory reset, its probably a 3rd party app..." I don't want to have to test each app to find out those that work... that takes away from using and enjoying my phone.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
For those that say "factory reset, its probably a 3rd party app..." I don't want to have to test each app to find out those that work... that takes away from using and enjoying my phone.

Not like you are enjoying it now, you got nothing to lose. I have about 100mb or more of apps installed on my phone from mainstream to whatever and haven't had any major issues. I installed one app a couple days back that affected my media volume, made it half volume. And it was a mapping app, so remember sometimes apps you wouldn't think would mess with something do.

crash0515

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had no problems with my Incredible. But Qazme is right about the apps. When the Droid Eris came out I had it. I put a video app on it and I had to do a factory reset to get my phone to work without issues. In a sense its like a computer. Its not as much the OS the program has problems with, it's the other programs that program may have issues with.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT PHONE, IT RESENT OLD TEXT MESSAGES, BUT TO THE RANDOM PEOPLE. This could have gotten me fired. Incredible violation of privacy.

Wait, what?? It resent old text messages that were sent / received on your other phone when you activated the Incredible??? That does not sound right or did you have Verizon transfer all your data over from your old phone to your new one and then it resent all the text messages that were ported over from your old phone?

If so, those data transfer machines are more problems then they are worth, they cause random weird stuff to happen as it's transferring data from phones that are not alike.

Do a complete factory reset, I had a problem similar to this going from one Blackberry to another and was told by Tech support that issues like this crop up when transferring data from phone to phone as it could pull it some corrupted data or something that is unsupported by the new phone. I did a wipe and the problems went away and never resurfaced.

Last edited:

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
i think you just got a dud, i haven't had any of these issues. just the usual battery life problems but mine still lasts me all day with pretty constant use.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to sound like a broken record for some of the other posts. Third party apps, as awesome as they may be, might be part of the problem. One day I had a problem where I could receive calls, but nobody could hear me. It was really annoying, had me thinking tha reception was poor no matter where I was. I thought through the recent apps I had installed and discovered that Slacker was the culprit. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether Slacker was the problem or whether it was a problem with Slacker and something else. The one concern with such a large variety of apps to play with, is that it is almost impossible to test all of the various combination of apps to identify conflicts.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out!

Steve in CT

anthonym83

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Have u used the Fm radio on your incredible? Does it work?
Yup, worked great. Then out of nowhere, the buttons went non-functional. They would move as if I had clicked them, but no response. Just opens to the one station now.

Wait, what?? It resent old text messages that were sent / received on your other phone when you activated the Incredible??? That does not sound right or did you have Verizon transfer all your data over from your old phone to your new one and then it resent all the text messages that were ported over from your old phone?
They transferred my old inbox/outbox from my LG Dare...as soon as I sent my VERY FIRST message (in the parking lot of the store), it gave me an error message (force close) I think, then started buzzing over and over. Took me a few seconds to figure out how to turn the screen on (from the sleep position) and saw it was resending all my texts. MULTIPLE times. It flooded so many friend's inboxes. Including my boss. The texts weren't even all going to original owners! That could have been bad bad.

And at least one text that one person read to me was NOT one from my old outbox. (I still had the inactivated phone, so I could go back and check for sure)

OH, OH, and just tonight, a new text came in while I was typing another. So, closed out of it. It popped a message saying Handcent was going to discard it b/c it didn't have a recipient yet. I clicked just that 1 okay button (if that...can't remember), and next thing I know ENTIRE INBOX WAS EMPTY AGAIN. Lost all the texts AGAIN in the same day.

So, then uninstalled Handcent and tried to restore texts with My Backup Pro... failed. gave me some error message. Only left one text in my box from "Anonymous" that wouldn't open.

IT'S NON-STOP. OMG

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The flipping home screens happened to me once.

The other day, answering a couple calls the other people on the other end couldn't hear me.

Both were fixed with power off/on.

But, yeah, I'm having some weird things happen that I keep needing to "reboot" to fix.

I shouldn't need to keep doing this.

Yup, people say that maybe I got a bad one... Well, if I didn't read of others having these same problems, they were solid failures, or power off/on didn't fix, I'd agree. Instead, they are very intermittant adn happen without warning, and rarely. So I have to think its a problem with software on the incredible.

It's very possible it could be a physical issue - something corroded, a weak solder joint, bum digitizer - any of these could look like a really random mess. I suggest a replacement. If the new one does the same, it's a software issue based on your usage and needs. If it doesn't -- you're in high cotton.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OH, OH, and just tonight, a new text came in while I was typing another. So, closed out of it. It popped a message saying Handcent was going to discard it b/c it didn't have a recipient yet. I clicked just that 1 okay button (if that...can't remember), and next thing I know ENTIRE INBOX WAS EMPTY AGAIN. Lost all the texts AGAIN in the same day.

So, then uninstalled Handcent and tried to restore texts with My Backup Pro... failed. gave me some error message. Only left one text in my box from "Anonymous" that wouldn't open.

IT'S NON-STOP. OMG

Did you install Handcent when you first got the phone like in the parking lot when this all happened? If so Sounds like Handcent might be causing the problem.

I would still try doing a factory wipe and see hoe it goes from there. In the mean time, I would keep your boss and co workers off your contact list until you are sure the problem is resolved, might keep random texts from going to them.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problems and now I'm on my third phone its crazy i have until 28 to decide if i want to keep before I'm stuck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21