Battery Temp, what is normal?

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Last night, while surfing the web, I noticed that my battery temp was 101 degrees. Seems kind of high, is that normal? What are other people seeing?

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Yikes, thats not a good thing. Are you using the stock battery? I have seen NUMEROUS reports of people with malfunctioning sensors on Seidio batteries.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yikes, thats not a good thing. Are you using the stock battery? I have seen NUMEROUS reports of people with malfunctioning sensors on Seidio batteries.

Are you serious? I just order the 1750 mah from them. I guess I could return it, if my battery has a problem.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Guys the operating range on most LiPoly batteries is 5-~130 degrees Fahrenheit. (-15 to 50C)

You would have to leave it charging on your dash in the middle of lunch with the windows rolled up to get it hot enough to damage it. Now the phone may have a predetermined limit that it kills the power to save it from doing anything dumb, but your battery will be ok unless you live in an oven.

I haven't heard of anyone with a bad sensor on the Seidio 1750 yet. At least that has caught my attention, so I wouldn't worry too much.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you serious? I just order the 1750 mah from them. I guess I could return it, if my battery has a problem.

Yes, there have been cases of bad sensors. What happens is the LED will start blinking (warning its overheating), however, the temps are normal. These people swapped back to the stock, and everything went back to normal. I wouldn't be too worried as this is like, 4-6 cases out of ALL the Seidio orders, so the odd's are insanely bad. Just something to keep in the back of your head incase it DOES happen.

Qazme, theres a few threads on Androidforums if you wanna check em out.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
So just to make sure, you are still using the stock battery correct? (because if you weren't then the possible reason could be what I already stated in this thread)

Also, what app are you using to measure the temperature? It could be a faulty app? Does the phone feel hot to the touch?

2WheelCowboy

May 19, 2010
Visit site
when you hit 120F you might want to see if there is a problem. The battery may handle higher temp but everything else above 120 and you might damage something. Heavy usage with GPS, navigation and pandora going, average 113F up to 115F No worries, it can handle that although the device gets a little warm.

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So just to make sure, you are still using the stock battery correct? (because if you weren't then the possible reason could be what I already stated in this thread)

Also, what app are you using to measure the temperature? It could be a faulty app? Does the phone feel hot to the touch?

Stock battery. I've used 3 different battery apps just to be sure it was reading correctly, I am currently using Battery Indicator. Thanks

dspcap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
when you hit 120F you might want to see if there is a problem. The battery may handle higher temp but everything else above 120 and you might damage something. Heavy usage with GPS, navigation and pandora going, average 113F up to 115F No worries, it can handle that although the device gets a little warm.

Wow, that's insane. Thanks for the response.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there have been cases of bad sensors. What happens is the LED will start blinking (warning its overheating), however, the temps are normal. These people swapped back to the stock, and everything went back to normal. I wouldn't be too worried as this is like, 4-6 cases out of ALL the Seidio orders, so the odd's are insanely bad. Just something to keep in the back of your head incase it DOES happen.

Qazme, theres a few threads on Androidforums if you wanna check em out.

Yeah I may browse over to the other forum and check it out. I normally only read posts from there when someone links to them lol. I'll go lurk a bit!

And as I said on the first page of this thread 5-130 degrees is the normal operating range of these batteries in case you missed it. When I would get the holy crap turn it off phase would be around 120 degrees. But I'm willing to bet the phone powers off before it gets around the high end.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Stock battery. I've used 3 different battery apps just to be sure it was reading correctly, I am currently using Battery Indicator. Thanks
Hmm, that is a bit strange. Although I'm sure it won't hurt the phone, I would assume that there will be longevity issues with the battery running that hot all the time, and maybe even issues down the line after a few months. Have you tried doing a battery pull and just resetting to see if it changes? Are you running alot of apps in the background requiring the phone to be syncing, even at idle? If I were you, I'd bring it in to VZW just to have them take a look at it. I mean, it can't hurt right? Maybe they'll be nice and just give you a new one.

Yeah I may browse over to the other forum and check it out. I normally only read posts from there when someone links to them lol. I'll go lurk a bit!
Haha, you'll see my username on alot of the threads on the Incredible forum there (almost at 1000 posts, eek). But in my defense, a majority of those were attempts to help out fellow Android users :) We were the first ones to leak alot of the inside info/pics on the Incredible pre-release.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
how the heck are you guys finding out what your battery temps are? i cant imagine that many people running around with thermometers :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles