Incredible and option of sense.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd gladly give up Sense if it meant getting 2.2 faster. Personally I'd had to disable or mess with a lot of settings within Sense just to get decent battery life. I love my Incredible, but if the Nexus One suddenly came out on Verizon I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Then you should have done your homework and gotten a vanilla Android device like the Moto Droid, it's been known for ages that the vanilla handets get it first ;-)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
My complaint isn't so much sense ui its that they force us to use it which is bs bc of the open feel I thought android was supposed to have, maybe that's just me. Also I wanted a slick non physical keyboard android phone on verizon, reason I went with the incredible.

I suspect they removed the non sense components from the ROM to save space. More space to install apps ;-)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Most people are missing the point thinking that I'm saying I HATE sense UI. While yes I do dislike it, I was just saying I'm forced with a more sluggish phone if I want to go with vanilla Android.(Reason I got a new phone other got ran over for a car, no real time to wait for those who will say why jump the gun and get Incredible)

Its not the point of if we get our way with a operating system why not DEMAND what processor, camera, etc we want in a phone and making custom phones much like computers, because that just sounds absurd and crazy compared to what I am asking(a simple fix/option). Its almost getting to a point where if you buy an HTC phone its got sense and you're stuck with it. I don't think that's right of them forcing folks to use that with a phone as where it should be an option much like an app. If I prefer an HTC phone over lets say a motorola its because maybe I prefer the name HTC, maybe I prefer the build quality of there phones, etc.

You could have just gotten the same phone (either by insurance or the same upgrade you used to get the Incredible). You chose the Incredible, and if you did any homework at all you knew that it had Sense and that it was not disable-able.

By the same token, if you dislike Sense that badly return it (you have 30 days) and get something more to your liking. LG Ally, Droid 2/Shadow, and who knows what else are in the pipe for the next 6 months).

But I do have to correct you on something. Sense UI does not in any way shape or form slow the phone down. The Incredible runs faster than any phone I have ever owned or played with (including the iPhone) and I have tested the Droid Eris with and without Sense and the Sense-less version is not any faster.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
i would go even further and say it's more like changing the fabric of the interior, with vanilla android being cloth and sense being leather.

i like sense too, and am happy with the phone, but with the abundance of storage on this phone, htc could easily have left the stock 2.1 apps and launcher on it.

Sense UI and Motoblur do a lot more than change the look of the phone. They replace core apps/widgets and add new ones. It's more like going from the cheapo base model of the car or the one with all of the extra features and enhancements.

When you buy a car with the stereo with the iPod dock in it they don't also provide you with basic model car stereo as well. The iPod dock is an upgrade and so is Sense. Don't like it, pick a different model. I'd personally prefer the extra app space we now have because they left out the unnecessary stuff.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Qazme you say you find it laughable bc I know it has sense and no easy way to turn it off and I bought it knowing that. Im just simply asking if there was a way or that there should be a way to disable/turn off sense. You make it should as if I said to hell with sense, htc worst company ever for baiting me into this sense ui phone lol. I just want options considering verizon screwed us with the nexus one.

To directly answer your question, once the device is rooted I suspect someone will port a Nexus One ROM to work on the Incredible, but until then you are going to have to to live with it.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
To directly answer your question, once the device is rooted I suspect someone will port a Nexus One ROM to work on the Incredible, but until then you are going to have to to live with it.

You could have just gotten the same phone (either by insurance or the same upgrade you used to get the Incredible). You chose the Incredible, and if you did any homework at all you knew that it had Sense and that it was not disable-able.

By the same token, if you dislike Sense that badly return it (you have 30 days) and get something more to your liking. LG Ally, Droid 2/Shadow, and who knows what else are in the pipe for the next 6 months).

But I do have to correct you on something. Sense UI does not in any way shape or form slow the phone down. The Incredible runs faster than any phone I have ever owned or played with (including the iPhone) and I have tested the Droid Eris with and without Sense and the Sense-less version is not any faster.

VZWRocks if you've read my posts which you have, I don't HATE sense, I dislike it yes and known what I was getting into with the Incredible. I had to get a replacement(due to mix up with insurance couldn't get an Eris replacement, so no phone to return and use for a while) and this was by far the best superior device that I could get because I had physical keyboard phones and dislike the bulkiness of them.

I never stated that Sense UI slows down the phone, don't know where you got that...

Also I know once its rooted(hoping sooner rather than later) that I will possibly get a nexus one port over.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Most people are missing the point thinking that I'm saying I HATE sense UI. While yes I do dislike it, I was just saying I'm forced with a more sluggish phone if I want to go with vanilla Android.(Reason I got a new phone other got ran over for a car, no real time to wait for those who will say why jump the gun and get Incredible)

Its not the point of if we get our way with a operating system why not DEMAND what processor, camera, etc we want in a phone and making custom phones much like computers, because that just sounds absurd and crazy compared to what I am asking(a simple fix/option). Its almost getting to a point where if you buy an HTC phone its got sense and you're stuck with it. I don't think that's right of them forcing folks to use that with a phone as where it should be an option much like an app. If I prefer an HTC phone over lets say a motorola its because maybe I prefer the name HTC, maybe I prefer the build quality of there phones, etc.

This is what I was referring to and yes I misread it. :eek: But two things, the Droid is far from sluggish, it's not as fast as the Incredible but it blows the doors off of your Eris. Also just because it has a keyboard does not mean you have to use it. I bought it because it had a physical keyboard and I don't even use it because it sucks so bad.

Sense is a lot more than just an app, or even a collection of them, it's a completely different user interface in some ways. And yes HTC does put Sense on most of their device (including their Windows Mobile ones) and will probably continue to do that. The whole idea is a consistent user experience whatever device you have and for the most part what OS you have.

I had to get a replacement(due to mix up with insurance couldn't get an Eris replacement, so no phone to return and use for a while) and this was by far the best superior device that I could get because I had physical keyboard phones and dislike the bulkiness of them.

Another option you could have considered was a used phone off of eBay until a phone more to your liking was released, and Droid is only slightly fatter than the Incredible.

I'm not trying to nitpick this thing to death, just pointing out that there are always alternatives.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Two things...

1. The only thing I don't like about Sense UI is the lack of landscape home screens. I really wish they would build that into it.

2. Has anyone considered the possibility that they took out core parts of the OS and replaced them with Sense was to close security loopholes witch allow the phone to be rooted? I mean look at the Evo. You can turn sense off on that phone and its been rooted before its even been released. Just a thought...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The only people that care if the phone can be rooted or not is you service provider. I think it was an experiment to see how people reacted to not being able to turn it off. I didn't think you could turn off Sense in the EVO???

And the EVO was rooted so early because they gave devs a free phone, nobody got free Incredibles, so the people who have them to keep don't have it as an extra play pretty. That's my opinion, root will come eventually I hope.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I saw a post a week or so ago that showed you COULD turn off season the EVO. All I'm saying is that everything I've read has said that this phone is gonna be a tough nut to crack and one of the main differences is that they replaced core parts of the OS with files for Sense...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Who knows, there are a lot of really smart minds out there cracking away at Android, so sooner or later someone will find a vulnerability that will allow root, it may just take longer than normal, if you can put a time frame on normal.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
If you REALLY dislike Sense, you can download the stock Nexus One launcher, photo gallery, music player, etc. It will make it look like the Nexus One a lot more, but of course it won't remove Sense altogether.

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Its almost getting to a point where if you buy an HTC phone its got sense and you're stuck with it.

While that's not entirely true(as you pointed out), it's not a completely wrong assumption either. Sense is a big part of hTc, and it definitely is safe to assume that if you get one of their devices, you have a good chance of getting Sense. Hate comparing X to Y so I'm not going to do that!

I do really see where you are coming from. It's like me with Google Goggles. I love the app, but hate how they forced it on me! I was all over the Google Forums waving my torch at Google employees about that. Why the hell do I have to have it on my phone if I don't want it. It has nothing to do with the OS or functionality of the device. It's purely for entertainment. Google is just being greedy. However, I think its getting to the point where Sense is almost like an OS. Just like you know your gonna get Android if you buy a phone from Google, you know your gonna get Sense if you buy a device from hTc. It is what it is, and we gotta except that. hTc makes Sense phones. We either buy it if we like it, or don't if we do not.

Besides, Sense is pure win.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick thing here... Why can't you disable Sense in the Incredible just like they did in the video on the Evo?

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-turn-sense-evo-4g-and-return-stock-android-home-screens

You can do the same thing to "undefault" it. But when you hit the home button the only option it gives you is HTC sense. Which meaning the removed the Launcher.apk files. But in other posts you can add them as here:

HTC Incredible Goes Retro : Nexus One Launcher and Apps | WJD Designs

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
As I think about this, with the battery problems and HTC admitting it is there fault, wouldn't them only having sense on this possibly contribute do you guys think? If so another reason I dislike lol.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
unless you have a bunch of widgets (or linked accounts) refreshing very frequently, sense really doesn't take a lot of battery life, and if you do have a lot of things updating frequently, then you would have poor battery life even if sense wasn't there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis