Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PvilleComp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can you backup apps?

Is it possible to backup applications (with data) without root on my Dinc?

I've got an app that is no longer available in the Market that I want to keep and another app that has downloadable updates that are not available.

Because of the "low on space" thing I need to do a factory reset and start over (ugh) but I don't want to lose these apps.

Thanks,

Johnie

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Default Re: Can you backup apps?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way.

What's your aversion to rooting? Besides the warranty for a phone that is well past most warranties being voided you really shouldn't fear rooting. You can root, us Titanium to make your backups but still keep your ROM exactly as is. Stock GB, stock Froyo, custom ROM, it's all up to you.

I tend to use Dropbox for apps that are no longer available on Android. I.e. Gameboid. (relax ive already bought it) then after ive flashed a rom I just re download dropbox and transfer the .apk back over.

@Wanda I know alot of people who dont root for a few reasons
    1) its scary and can be confusing
    2) in their eyes they dont see any real benefits from it.

This may not be the case here but from my experience thats what Ive seen from people.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

@weapondrift

I see what you mean...

Kinda scary and messy.

Sorry - Could not resist.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Weapondrift View Post
    I tend to use Dropbox for apps that are no longer available on Android. I.e. Gameboid. (relax ive already bought it) then after ive flashed a rom I just re download dropbox and transfer the .apk back over.

@Wanda I know alot of people who dont root for a few reasons
    1) its scary and can be confusing
    2) in their eyes they dont see any real benefits from it.

This may not be the case here but from my experience thats what Ive seen from people.
    Scary? Confusing? Maybe if you had to get out the command prompt and start entering lines of code with no guidance but Unrevoked Forever really made it as easy and could be...literally like 3 clicks and took all of about 10 minutes (going from memory and it's been a while so forgive if it takes more than 3 actual clicks of the mouse)

As far as benefits, well it's all in what you plan on doing with it isn't it? For me, when I first rooted, it was worth a bit of apprehension so I could get rid of the VZgarbage that was stuck on my phone...VCast, VZNavigator, Backup Assistant, My Verizon, and CItyID, and Twitter, and other stuff. I didn't want it, Verizon thought I should have it but I paid for the phone, not them. After I realized how easy flashing was and fool proof it is provided you take the necessary backing up steps first, well after that it was game on. In fact I held off on getting the Rezound until I was sure it was rooted and unlockable. Don't think I could ever go back to just having a regular phone loaded up with carrier bloat again...not to mention the fun of exploring a myriad of ROMs and Mods.

I'm not advocating everyone root their device, it's not for everyone and there are some risks though at this point the risks are very minor and almost all are easily reversable save for fooling with the radio.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates