PC can't see SD Card

merv007

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just updated to 2.3.4. Had to go back to factory default to allow the update to install. Now my pc doesn't see the sd card. In fact, when I connect the phone to the PC via USB cable the My Computer (Windows Explorer) will lock (it shows an hour glass forever and cannot be closed). The task bar on the PC also disappears. This occurs whether charge or disk drive has been selected on the phone. Once the phone is disconnected from the PC the locking problem is resolved.

I installed HTC Sync which has the latest USB drivers. After rebooting the PC many times and trying the HTC sync option I kept getting closer and closer to victory. Each time the PC gave messages that seemed to indicate that some additional driver was being installed. Occasionally I could see the phone's disk drive (actually 2 from the SD card and one which I assume is the internal drive from the phone listed as a CD). But I could not open them.

I have been trying this on two different PC's (both running Win XP SP3). One is a USB cable through a hub to the PC while the other is a cradle hooked to the PC by USB cable. Very similar results.

I did get one PC able to recognize and view the contents of what I believe are the 2 drives on the SD card. In experimenting with that PC hoping to find the answer for the other I turned on debugging when selecting the mount disk drive option. Now I can no longer access the SD card drives from that PC.

Any thoughts?

merv007

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have discovered the answer to my own question. I'll give the solution first and then how I obtained the solution.

Solution: According to HTC, Verizon adds to every phone that HTC makes for them some sort of software that enables media manager (I think that was it). Anyway, because of that, on the PC in windows device manager under the DVD/CD-Rom drives there will be an entry for "HTC Android Phone USB Device." (Click the plus sign next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives) That device tends to prevent the sd card showing up as a disk drive. So that device (HTC Android Phone USB Device) needs to be disabled (right click/disable). I have done that on both my home and office computers and the issue is now 100% resolved.

I have to thank HTC for being so diligent. I had called HTC initially with my problem but the young lady did a pretty poor job of tech support as she failed to ask the correct questions and went off on a tangent. HTC then sent me a survey request and I responded with a somewhat poor grade. I thought that would be the end of it. Good surprise #1: They then both called me and emailed me for more information. I sent them additional info on why I thought the young lady failed me and what my problem was. I thought certainly that would be the end of it. Good surprise #2: They then emailed me two suggestions to resolve the issue and requested that I let them know how it worked. I responded that neither issue worked. Fantastic Surprise #3: They then emailed me and requested that I call in and ask for a particular person in their escalation department. I did so and he resolved the issue as explained above in about 5 minutes (and it didn't take me more than maybe 3 minutes to get through to him). And the English was so good that I am pretty sure these people grew up in America so I could understand them without problems.

This is the type of support that I rarely see anymore. Yes, the initial support was poor, but no company is perfect all the time. But when a company follows up to make things right as HTC did, they obtain a lot of customer good will from me. Given this type of support, there is a high probability that I will purchase another HTC product when it comes time for a replacement cell phone.