Pic's From Space

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Putting a camera up to the lens and taking a half way decent picture of the moon, saturn, or jupiter is not all that complicated but if you want to take pictures of galaxies, nebula's and globular cluster's, now that's a whole different ball game and a lot more dollar's. When I get a chance I'm going to get my 90mm achro out and try taking some close up terrestrial pictures with the Dinc, like some birds, squirrels and well there's a swimming pool down the street,Ah na, I better not do that, the Misses might not approve! LOL

:eek:

Ahh, Whats a few pictures between a few thousand people?

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
fun astronomy thing to do...

when using google sky map and a non-android person is all impressed and "ooh ahh"... point to a particular spot and have then look. give them detailed instructions... "15 degrees off the horizon, past that small cluster of stars..." etc. then tell them, "quit looking at your anus".

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
i dont know how this dude can come onto another forum site and try to punk this guy for just taking some damn pictures. like he was honestly the first person ever to take pics of space with a cell phone. I wouldn't have said sorry to him no way but I guess your a lot nicer of a person then I am. I would have told him to kick rocks but NICE PICS BRO! that makes me want to go out and buy a damn telescope and see what I can come up with. even tho I am in the city were there is a lot of light so most likely I would not be able to see much at all

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Very awesome pics! I did this a few years ago with my iphone and my old telescope. Did some moon shots as well. Last year I did the opposite, I took some pics with my iphone looking through the lens of a microscope in my biology lab. They came out pretty good actually. I'm sure with the better camera on the Incredible, it would be even nicer. I may have to give it a try!

What do you guys recommend I use to clean off my optics on my telescope? I have an old Meade Schmidt Newtonian. It's been sitting in the shed for a few years.

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Very awesome pics! I did this a few years ago with my iphone and my old telescope. Did some moon shots as well. Last year I did the opposite, I took some pics with my iphone looking through the lens of a microscope in my biology lab. They came out pretty good actually. I'm sure with the better camera on the Incredible, it would be even nicer. I may have to give it a try!

What do you guys recommend I use to clean off my optics on my telescope? I have an old Meade Schmidt Newtonian. It's been sitting in the shed for a few years.

Hmm, cleaning a lens or a mirror on a telescope is to put it lightly a delicate operation. Never touch the mirror, and the mirror has to be very very dusty or dirty before it effects the view. I take the mirror out and set it in the sink on a towel and rinse it with luke warm water for a couple of minutes then pour dawn dish washing detergent in the sink letting it suds up then gently slide sanitary cotton balls over the mirror, then rinse very well and lastly rinse with distilled water to reduce water spots then lean the mirror against the wall of your counter on a towel to drip dry. I'm not sure if this would apply to a Schmidt Newtonian telescope so do some research!!

Last edited:

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
i dont know how this dude can come onto another forum site and try to punk this guy for just taking some damn pictures. like he was honestly the first person ever to take pics of space with a cell phone. I wouldn't have said sorry to him no way but I guess your a lot nicer of a person then I am. I would have told him to kick rocks but NICE PICS BRO! that makes me want to go out and buy a damn telescope and see what I can come up with. even tho I am in the city were there is a lot of light so most likely I would not be able to see much at all

I've got bigger things in my life to worry about than to let little things bother me but he does deserve credit for starting this, so I give him credit for inspiring me and he had every right to questioning me and doesn't deserve any flames and besides we did kiss and make up! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: prometheus

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I want to buy the same telescope. Incredible pictures!

The nice thing about a Dobsonian, most of it can be things like particleboard and a PVC pipe. You just have to buy the right mirror, eyepieces etc unless you're brave enough to make your own. But it's basically designed to be home built.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Now the question is, before you took the pictures did you use Google Sky maps to locate Saturn??? :) Nice dude nice....

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Locoman --

Since you're taking these pictures on your phone anyway, are you uploading other shots to a service like Flikr or Picasa?

If you are, care to share with us? :) Would love to see more of your work.