Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Exclamation Issue setting wallpaper - overrides to HTC Sense

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced this issue, or anything like this. I've been trying to replicate this on a consistent basis, but cannot.

There are times when I will switch my wallpaper from a live one to a static picture, and it loads the HTC Sense live wallpaper instead. It is almost as if the phone goes to some default wallpaper because of some background error.

Has anyone seen this (or had any issues loading wallpaper)?

Update: I should clarify a couple of things... when the noted issue happens, if I reset my phone, the new wallpaper image shows up. Also, I am not using a task killer. My theory is that is has to be App related somehow, because after a reset, I can switch wallpapers with no problem.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,532 Global Posts
    Carrier
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I never had a problem with changing my wallpaper and I change mine 2 or 3 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    I never had a problem with changing my wallpaper and I change mine 2 or 3 times per week.
    Me, neither. But I only change once or twice a week.

Interesting, never had this issue before. (I know this is such common advice but.....) Have you tried resetting the phone?

Carrier
    Skyraider Athena

Are you using a Task/App Killer? I was using one and when I would kill all the open tasks I would get the same wallpaper behaviour you described. I've since stopped using the app killer and have never had the problem resurface. Add me to the list of folks that think the app killers are not productive as they will kill critical components to the OS that results in flaky behavior.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

tjubb - No task/app killer being used. I totally agree with your comments, I haven't found there to be all that much benefit (especially considering the consequences). Maybe it's just because we have the power of the snapdragon and more RAM than most phones.

When I first played with some App killers, I was noticing my live wallpapers resetting as well. But haven't used on for a couple weeks now. Thinking it may be some other app rather than an issue with the OS...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

(Side comment) mclarryjr - Is your avatar pic a Red Wing hitting Crosby (Cynthia Crotchby) in the face! Awesome.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I think I may have found out the culprit... the Calorie Counter app (summer is just around the corner!). Twice today when exiting the App by directly hitting the 'Home' button, my screen displayed 'HTC' against a black background, before slowly loading my widgets and the stock HTC Sense background.

I will keep trying things out, to see if I can recreate this every time... but let me know if anyone else hits this.

I'm having the same problem too. I'll pick a picture and it gives me the bubble background. I can select live wallpapers without a problem.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I'm wondering if it has something to do with Sense and how it handles wallpaper changes, as opposed to an Android OS issue. The issue has not happened as often, but I still see some lag when setting static backgrounds. Live wallpapers do seem to work just fine though.

Stuff like this makes me hopeful a quality root option will come through soon!

Are you using a "custom" scene or a standard one?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I suppose custom... I started with a blank scene and added widgets, apps, etc.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,532 Global Posts
    Carrier
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Now I have the problem its happened a couple of times so far and I'm thinking it has to do with using a ADW launcher since its the only new download.

Default Same issue...HTC wallpaper defaulting

The first time the paper "switched" back from one HTC paper to the bubbles, I thought it was a new app I'd installed called Lookout which protects from viruses. I ended it and changed to live and then to the HTC one I'd had. It worked fine. I figured the problem was fixed.

Lookout isn't running. I was just changing my paper and browsing the HTC ones when it just "left" the browsing page and defaulted to the bubbles. I went back thinking I'd hit it accidentally and tried to change to any HTC wallpaper. It keeps defaulting to the bubbles.
    I CAN CHANGE TO A LIVE PAPER.
    HOWEVER, I CANNOT change to any of my gallery photos including the ones they provide or the Android papers. It will give a message that it has been changed (sometimes). However, it goes back to bubbles.
    One attempt before testing the gallery photos to change to Android papers worked. I tried the HTC I wanted after that and got bubbles. Now I can't even get the Android paper.

NOTE: I restarted the phone and the LAST PAPER I TRIED (even though it showed the bubbles) is what came on :-)
    I immediately tried to change the paper and got what I wanted also.

Restarting might be temp fix until someone figures out why it will not show on the phone when you are trying to change it. Note: this is not a consistent problem as I've played with the papers before.

So...any more thoughts anyone?

Same exact problem! I don't use live wallpapers, but when I tried to change my photo wallpaper it just went back to the bubbles. Turning my phone on and off fixed it.
    thanks
    DOXA–holic

I've had the same issue before (but never when using sense) - when checking logcat, it looks like its generating a low memory error. Could be related to the size of the wallpaper you are trying to load, versus the amount of ram available. It 'know's which wallpaper youve set, but cant load it because of memory - hence the default to the sense wallpaper. When you reset the phone, obviously you free up memory and it has enough to then load it and it shows up. Just something to check...

i have the same problem. if i dont change my wallpaper for maybe a few hours, then try to change it, it goes back to default bubble wallpaper and i have to restart my phone in order to change my wallpaper again.