1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Clean Your Lens

I never thought to use a cleaning cloth to clean the lens of the camera on my phone because I really never had a phone with a decent camera so I never used a phone to take so many pictures. I took some pictures and noticed that they weren't quite clear. I wiped the lens and noticed a dramatic improvement. Take a look at my two pics that I took one after the other seven minutes apart. Also I noticed that the lens can film over quite frequently since it's not covered with a lens cap.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clean Your Lens-imag0030.jpg   Clean Your Lens-imag0034.jpg  
    Last edited by Locoman; 05-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Ya i try to keep my lense always clean. That is actually the one things I am worried about on this phone. Since I have the Zagg screen protector I dont have to worry about the screen. I worry about the camera because it protrudes so much from that back. I basically always set it on the screen because that will never get damaged. Anyone else have the fear that the lens is so easy to damage and render it useless?

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

wow. That's a huge difference. Good stuff.

Wow! I'm cleaning off my lens as we speak!

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

May I ask where you got the larger telescope?

Man that is a big difference. Nice tip. Thanks for posting.

if you get a case it might help a bit, so at least the lense would be flush with the back and not sticking out. Wonder how long it will be until we start seeing lense caps for phone cameras?
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRKhead View Post
    May I ask where you got the larger telescope?
    It's a 10" dob and I got it here

That's quite a difference. Thanks!

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Thanks, Loco... I've been thinking about upgrading my standard telescope and the first part of my thinking was pricing and finding a reputable dealer...

thanks for the tip.
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    NOOK Color rooted & Acer Iconia A100 for my tabs YEAH!! Retired: HTC Rezound & Incredible

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

yeah my friend was complaining about how bad his Moto Droids camera was compared to mine - and we tried to do comparison shots - his was horrible - I tried to take a pic with it to see if it was just him or me - and then I noticed his lens was covered in schmutz so I wiped it off and presto! his images looked 1000 times better.

Being a photographer - I'm always making sure my lens is clean before I shoot - its become 2nd nature now

good tip though!
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I took a leftover screen protector from an old phone and cut out a little circle to match the diameter of the camera lens to protect it from scratches, damage, etc. It seems to work pretty well and does not take any quality away from the pics if you get it on there good.
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Still waiting for my phone. But what is the best and safest way to clean the camera lens?
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

I use my shirt :P
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    I use my shirt :P
    Same here, just wipe it off real quick before I take any pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebeads View Post
    I took a leftover screen protector from an old phone and cut out a little circle to match the diameter of the camera lens to protect it from scratches, damage, etc. It seems to work pretty well and does not take any quality away from the pics if you get it on there good.
    Unfortunatly, if you aren't removing that bit every time you take a picture it won't do much good. The problem isn't scratching of the surface, it's that junk (dirt, grease from your skin, hair, or whatever) gets on the glass/plastic that covers the lens. That's why cameras have lens caps.

I remember that some phones used to have sliding lens caps that you would manually open when you wanted to take pics. I miss this and wish it was still a feature of phones. Hopfully HTC will take up this practice as it's sure to help dramaticly.

Finally, if you want to clean your lens, be sure to do it right by cleaning all points of failure. Remove the back cover and clean both the inside and outside of the plastic window. Then clean the interior lens of your phone. Dust commonly makes it's way inside almost all back covers of phones.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

Next time you're in Walmart look for a box of lens cleaners. They sell them near the optical dept for around $2. It is a box of wet wipes soaked in alcohol. BEST. PHONE CLEANER. EVER. I use them on my entire phone every couple of days. They make it look brand new and they don't have as much risk of water damage because alcohol evaporates so much faster and more completely than water based solvents. You might also find alcohol swabs in the pharmacy area, the ones used for cleaning wounds.

To this day I can never understand how hard it would be to have a small sliding shutter over the lens on these phones. It would not add cost really and very little space. I guess they like the way the protruding lens looks.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks

Default Re: Clean Your Lens

Default Re: Clean Your Lens

Nice Dob!

I've built two...an 8" Dob on a friend's design. And a truss-tube 12" F/6. LOVE that telescope.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the lense.

Scott T