OUTLOOK and E-MAIL

spddare65

May 30, 2010
www.dpi-investigations.com
I'm thinking of switching from a Blackberry but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. Does the Incredible sync with MS Outlook? Also, I dont use g-mail I have an e-mail address on my own domain, has anyone had problems with non g-mail e-mails?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
you can sync contacts and calender with HTC sync. i havent had any issues with Gmail or hotmail or an exchange account so far

spddare65

May 30, 2010
I dont use notes or tasks; I just use the contacts and calander. I've read a bunch of blogs, some had trouble with Outlook and the guy at Verizon made a face when I asked about it. I've always found these forums the best place to get the real answers. Thanks for your responses.

Principal Skinner

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Lose the Cable

As a former BB and long time Palm user ...I expected to use HTC synch...NO NEED ...export outlook calendar and contacts to Google Calendar. Google calendar and outlook with synch with each other. and the Google calendar will synch with your HTC Incredible WITHOUT ever cabling it to your PC. The only time my Incredible has a cab le attached is for charging the battery!
This amazes me. I have been doing this for a week with no concerns

volleygod

May 28, 2010
Visit site
As a former BB and long time Palm user ...I expected to use HTC synch...NO NEED ...export outlook calendar and contacts to Google Calendar. Google calendar and outlook with synch with each other. and the Google calendar will synch with your HTC Incredible WITHOUT ever cabling it to your PC. The only time my Incredible has a cab le attached is for charging the battery!
This amazes me. I have been doing this for a week with no concerns

From what i've seen, the calendar will update automatically but the contacts need to be imported/exported after any updates to keep current.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
google has been able to do this with BBs too. its nothing new. Its one reason that former BB users can easily sync with gmail and be off and running with the Inc in no time.

i personally never like the gmail sync because of the doubling of contacts and other crap. Outlook always worked perfectly.

I also didnt find a way that google and outlook synced constantly with a FREE solution. several pay options though

spddare65

May 30, 2010
Outlook has a "notes" and "tasks" feature. Notes is for making brief memos to yourself ie. shopping lists, things to tell the doctor etc...... and tasks lets you enter things to do ie go shopping, go to doctor, etc... I never found much use for either of them to be honest.

Also, I figured out how to export the outlok files.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The "free" solutions documented all work however gSyncit which costs less than $15.00 does all kinds of good things and can be schedules to do them automatically. The ability to switch Google contacts to last name first name without re-entering made the cost well worth it. Since the INC and gMail contacts and calendar sync automatically it is a simple task to have gSyncit sync to Outlook daily. This works for me because I never add contacts or calendar items to anything but my INC. By the way if you add tasks using Astrid on your phone it has an option to add to your calendar as well. This will sync to Google calendar and then to Outlook so you do get tasks.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This is the second time it's been mentioned so I have to ask, what do you mean it syncs automatically?

Anything you change or add on an Android OS device in your contacts or calander will automatically sync to Google Contacts and Calander on your PC. This is of course if you have the phone device set to background sync with Google. This all happens wirelessly and instanteously upon entry.

If you are talking about syncing between Google and Outlook, software like gSyncit allowes you to set up a schedule and tell the PC on what days, times and how often to sync. So if you are syncing automatically from your INC to Google on your PC gSyncit will automatically sync to Outlook when scheduled. You can set gSyncit up to sync 2-ways so anything added to Outlook will first sync to Google on your PC as scheduled and then automatically to your phone from Google.

Any time you are syncing you need to decide what the paramentgers are and pretty much stick to them or you could end up with duplicated or lost data. This is no different in BB Desktop Manager. You have to set the sync rules and be consistent. Oh and plug the device into the PC to use DM, not necessary with the Google strategy outlined above.