WVGA (Incredible) vs 720p (Evo4G) -- sample comparison

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Evo looks better hands down... c'mon guys, don't pick the Incredible just because you own it :)

Hopefully that small metering problem can be fixed with a future update... but other than that, the Evo captures details better, and looks more crisp overall than the Inc.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the best phone camcorder experiences out there right now... sorry you think it's crap :p

Did you see the kin 2 video I added to the first post? Both HTC phones are good but I doubt if the general public would call either amazing.

I think my fiancee's response to all three sums it up well. Shes what I would consider the "average Joe" response who knows nothing about tech. She has no idea what 720p means or if 1ghz is fast for a phone. She has no bias to either since her current phone is an iPhone 3GS that I got her.

I showed her the Evo 4G video first....
"Whos this bald guy and why can't I see his face?"

Next the Incredible video....
"Ohh, there we go now I can see him!"

I asked her then if she could see a difference in quality....
"Ya, one was dark and one was light."

I then showed her the Kin 2 video....
"Wow! Is that from a phone?!?" :)

Let's hope HTC gets on it with their next round of phones. IIRC, engadget showed a teardown of the kin 2 and stated it had a Sony camera chip. I'm not sure what HTC is using right now.

anon(21359)

May 10, 2010
Visit site
on the EVO, it looked like someone had fun with the saturation bar, and cranked it up! The contrast was also cranked way up too!

The reason why I think the incredible "metered" better was because he had less of the sky. The brightest point of the entire scene was the sky, and the sky was barely there on the incredible. Or, another thought might be that the incredible's sensor just has better dynamic range than the EVO's sensor. But then again, we're not really comparing it to actual P&S's and DSLR's.

This is right on. The EVO was grossly saturated - not realistic colors. If a 3rd video was made with a "real" camcorder, I'm guessing it would be far closer to the Incredible. The tendency is to think saturated colors are more realistic when in fact they are not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude