Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    itch808's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default WVGA (Incredible) vs 720p (Evo4G) -- sample comparison

    Incredible:

    Evo4G:

    Video quality is a bit subjective person-to-person, but I personally think the Incredible video looks nicer. Others may disagree

    *ADDED*

    Here's a Kin 2 720P Sample Video:
    Last edited by itch808; 05-31-2010 at 01:21 PM.
  2. #2  
    Sebastianraven's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    572 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.6.32.9-g7d7b583

    Default

    Wow... The EVO was amazing. I was looking at the bushes blowing in the wind on both. Both look good, but on the EVO is apparent how much better the quality is.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I just watched the videos side by side and to me the EVO had much brighter colors just way more vivid but the Incredible seemed to look a bit clearer to me even if the colors weren't as vibrant. I didn't think there was that much a difference between the 720p and 480p to make a big difference.

    Another thing was the shadows on the dude's face made it kinda hard to see on the EVO but you could make features out better with the Incredible.
  4. #4  

    Default

    I agree with bobby9 100%. I was thinking exactly the same things when I was watching the videos. I did notice with the EVO the sky was very clear and realistic looking. And yes the bushes did look better. So sure background scenery might look better and more vivid colors with the EVO, but with the incredible you were able to see his face more clear along with all of the other things around. The street sign and the car parked on the left. I was just trying to notice if anything was getting pixelated.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Wow... The EVO was amazing. I was looking at the bushes blowing in the wind on both. Both look good, but on the EVO is apparent how much better the quality is.
    The colors on the EVO are terrible compared to the Incredible, just look at the shadowing on the dudes face. I'd take a look again, the incredible is the clear winner.

    Hell, the mytouch looks better then the EVO.
    Last edited by shoman24v; 05-31-2010 at 02:04 AM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    itch808's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
    The colors on the EVO terrible compared to the Incredible, jut look at the shadowing on the dudes face. I'd take a look again, the incredible is the clear winner.

    Hell, the mytouch looks better then the EVO.
    Agreed 100%, this is the way I see it:

    Evo
    +Higher resolution (that's it)
    -Blocky artifacts everywhere, compression probably due to a limitation of the hardware for video on a phone
    -Horrible metering, I can't even see his face
    -Lower frame rate

    Incredible
    +Smoother/faster frame rate
    +Hardly any artifacts
    +Great metering, I can see his face!
    -Not as sharp since the resolutions a little lower

    Both are pretty bad on the audio, but listening side-by-side at the same spots I'd give the edge to the Incredible's mic.
  7. #7  
    thegov's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    i wonder did everyone change the setting in you tube? b/c i could change the incredible vid to 480p and the evo vid to 720p and the evo showed more detail in the background but not quite as much in the foreground. too bad the wind made it really annoying to listen to. its hard to say but for a phone i think you will do pretty well with either. does anyone know if you can choose the resolution/fps on hte evo from shooting 720p to something lower? or if you only have one choice?
  8. #8  
    drfundy's Avatar

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

    Default

    I guess I better check from my laptop. Watching both vids from my inc the Evo looked way better.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Considering the EVO and Incredible have the same camera (assuming, they look the same) the video should be exactly the same.
  10. #10  
    drPheta's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
    Considering the EVO and Incredible have the same camera (assuming, they look the same) the video should be exactly the same.
    The hardware may be the same, but the software is the difference.
  11. #11  

    Default

    IDK, but I think the Evo's looks way better. The colors look much better, and it looks just as sharp as the Inc's. The Inc's just looks too washed out and bland IMO.
  12. #12  
    VKitty's Avatar

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
    Hell, the mytouch looks better then the EVO.

    They did another test on here, and the Palm Pre looks better than the EVO.

    Someone should post the Palm Pre Vid (tried to find it) and maybe some others.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    itch808's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VKitty View Post
    They did another test on here, and the Palm Pre looks better than the EVO.

    Someone should post the Palm Pre Vid (tried to find it) and maybe some others.
    The 720p video of the Evo is just too compressed IMO. I've seen a couple other samples on Youtube and they all have the artifacts and lower frame rate (especially noticed with motion). The videos of WVGA from the Evo look better IMO. But my eyes value higher frame rates/smoothness over resolution.
  14. #14  

    Default

    This is the same video uploded from both phones. I dont know whitch one shot the vid. But it is the same video. So I not sure what test he is doing other than upload to youtube. Unless he had the phones stacked on top of each other. But the angles look pretty close to each other. The Evo looks to be zoomed in a little more than the Dinc.
    I dont know......thoughts anyone???
  15. #15  
    tjubb's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider Athena

    Default

    I like the Incred better. The sky on the EVO is way to blue, very unrealistic looking. Although the EVO is higher rez which is good, the Incred just has a more realistic representation. Can't even see the dude's face on the EVO.

    I'd be curious to see some other comparisons in different environments.
  16. #16  

    Default

    on the EVO, it looked like someone had fun with the saturation bar, and cranked it up! The contrast was also cranked way up too!

    The reason why I think the incredible "metered" better was because he had less of the sky. The brightest point of the entire scene was the sky, and the sky was barely there on the incredible. Or, another thought might be that the incredible's sensor just has better dynamic range than the EVO's sensor. But then again, we're not really comparing it to actual P&S's and DSLR's.
  17. #17  
    Saiyajin's Avatar

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtous Affinity

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash0515 View Post
    This is the same video uploded from both phones. I dont know whitch one shot the vid. But it is the same video. So I not sure what test he is doing other than upload to youtube. Unless he had the phones stacked on top of each other. But the angles look pretty close to each other. The Evo looks to be zoomed in a little more than the Dinc.
    I dont know......thoughts anyone???
    Being the same video, my assumption is that he HAD to have them both lined up together. I would also guess that the Evo was on top, since it had a larger portion of the frame showing sky, although I could be wrong, and one could be pointed a little higher than the other. I'll give the level of detail in the vid to the Evo. It does appear a bit sharper. The Inc appears to be overall smoother. Like has already been said, nobody knows what the different settings were (color, contrast, etc.)

    Either way, unless you're a high end video buff, I can't see this as being a decisive factor in choosing one of the phones, with network considerations, with/without the front face camera, and so on. Both look pretty good.

    All that said, I still have my S1 in use until my Inc gets here. Compared to either one of these, my current video recorder sucks......
    Last edited by Saiyajin; 05-31-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Corrected sentence.
    "The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
    iPhone 3G > BB Storm 1 > Incredible > Incredible 2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    itch808's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default

    I added a Kin 2 720P video, IMO this is the sort of video AND audio quality that I think most people were expecting when they heard "720P". Now with THIS video I think the Kin 2 720P video is truely amazing for a phone!!

    Now if only HTC can start putting these cameras into their next gen of phones....
  19. #19  

    Default

    The EVO's colors are more vibrant, but I agree with what someone said earlier... it's got metering problems. Noah's face looks so dark with the shadows. Not sure what's going on there.

    Based on the other videos, it looks like they are stacked one on top of the other. The myTouch 3G Slide is at the bottom, the EVO in the middle and the Incredible on top.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyajin View Post
    Being the same video, my assumption is that he HAD to have them both lined up together. I would also guess that the Evo was on top, since it had a larger portion of the frame showing sky, although I could be wrong, and one could be pointed a little higher than the other. I'll give the level of detail in the vid to the Evo. It does appear a bit sharper. The Inc appears to be overall smoother. Like has already been said, nobody knows what the different settings were (color, contrast, etc.)

    Either way, unless you're a high end video buff, I can't see this as being a decisive factor in choosing one of the phones, with network considerations, with/without the front face camera, and so on. Both look pretty good.

    All that said, I still have my S1 in use until my Inc gets here. Compared to either one of these, my current video recorder sucks......
    I too think the Evo was on top. I also agree that its probally not a decideing factor between the two. Its not for me. I have the Incredible and love it. It is my personal phone. But I am getting the Evo this Friday for my work phone. So I guess I might run my own test video outside and inside.
  21. #21  
    Upstreammiami's Avatar

    Posts
    2,133 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

    Default

    everything on the evo that is dark is 20 times darker that's why you couldn't see his face cuz of the shadow.. INC Wins
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
  22. #22  

    Default

    Evo looks better hands down... c'mon guys, don't pick the Incredible just because you own it

    Hopefully that small metering problem can be fixed with a future update... but other than that, the Evo captures details better, and looks more crisp overall than the Inc.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    itch808's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    everything on the evo that is dark is 20 times darker that's why you couldn't see his face cuz of the shadow.. INC Wins
    But its 720p!!!!.....of jerky dark shadow figures

    Seriously the kin 2 blows both phones away and I don't even own a kin 2
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Sawyer View Post
    Hopefully that small metering problem can be fixed with a future update... but other than that, the Evo captures details better, and looks more crisp overall than the Inc.
    That doesn't make up for the fact that the video is still crap
  25. #25  

    Default

    It's one of the best phone camcorder experiences out there right now... sorry you think it's crap :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions