My Droid-Inc and Verizon-Best Buy Delimma

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I needed a good phone Line (currently have ATT) and wanted to go to Verizon and get an Incredible. Since none were in stock, I bought a Droid thinking I could exchange for an Inc. before my 30 days were over. Well now that delivery is looking really close to my 30 days based on today's ship date listed on the website. I found an Inc at a Best Buy 45 miles away. But, I typically like buying directly from the carriers in case I have problems - and if I get an Inc that has some of the poor call quality problems people have been complaining about, I will return it.

Should I wait and see if I can get one from Verizon or should I go ahead and get one from Best Buy and deal with Best Buy should I have problems?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
No matter where you get it they both give you 30 days money back and the phone carries a 1 year manufacturers warranty on defects. Along with Verizon insurance you are fully covered for anything that happens within the first year. Anything past that is dealing with Asurion or what not. I would say go for it where ever you can get it now. If you wait on Verizon, from the various shipping posts here, you will be waiting at earlier the middle to end of next month for your phone.

As far as call quality, mine has been superb. Most of the people reporting issues with call quality are having issues with Bluetooth. So YMMV.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Go with Best Buy.....Never had a problem with them,no waiting for a Rebate. You can still return it in 30 if you don't like it, then any problems Verizon has never failed to help me on sending a new phone or helping with any set up questions.

brain228

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I got my Inc from Best Buy and I have had no problems with them. I had to return it cause of random rebooting and Best Buy didnt give me any problems. The second inc I have is doing the same thing. The shipping date has been pushed back and they said if my 30 days are up before they get more inventory they will still honor the 30 day warranty.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I got my Inc from Best Buy and I have had no problems with them. I had to return it cause of random rebooting and Best Buy didnt give me any problems. The second inc I have is doing the same thing. The shipping date has been pushed back and they said if my 30 days are up before they get more inventory they will still honor the 30 day warranty.

And I am a silver rewards member there also. I really wanted to do only a 1yr contract instead of a 2yr - and BB can only do 2yr contracts - but I don't really see leaving Verizon anytime soon.

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I also definitely recommend going to Best Buy. That's where I got my Inc. from and I was very happy with the experience.

IMO the insurance Best Buy offers is vastly superior to the Asurion crap that Verizon offers. The Best Buy insurance costs a little more, but i definitely think its worth it.

I will be buying all of my phones from Best Buy from now on (and I'm not much of a Best Buy fan in general).

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking to get an incredible then you would be a fool not to go to Best Buy. Seriously from my years of experience with Best Buy, I decided to go to Best Buy to buy my INC because I had gift cards. Turns out it was the best decision because never will I go into a verizon store again to buy a phone.

Like someone said the Black Tie program is superb compared to asurion insurance. It cost $8 for the ausrion insurance plus $90 deductible to get ur phone fixed and that's a refurbished phone. Best Buy program is $10 and they will give your 1 free battery replacement(always replaced when your phone is though), fix screen cracking, accidental damage, anything at all. No deductible and they first try to repair the phone and if it isn't repair able you get a brand new phone.

They take rebates of the price right there so you don't have to hassle with all the crap. They are exactly the same price at a verizon store or anything and buying it at Best Buy is seriously exactly the same. You can go to a verizon store and they will swap it out if you want. The other great things is that there is no $35 fee for returning a phone within 30 days. BUY AT BEST BUY. The reason they are so much better is Best Buy gets like a few hundred dollar kick back from verizon for every customer that buys a phone so they can give little things like that over verizon.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Got it today at Best Buy (and added the Black Tie service too - I figure I can cancel that at any time, might as well use it while the phone is new). Wow, I am not really sure why anyone would want a Droid - unless you are a developer or a purest. The Incredible is really nice.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Trust me it is worth having the black tie protection. Its $10 a month so sure it is costly but better than any other insurance program. And i doubt you wanna spend $600 to get it replaced.

Haha I agree I don't know anyone who would want to buy the droid over the INC. The only way I could see that is because it is cheaper and it has a keyboard. But you pay so much for the plan that the extra $100 for the INC is nothing, especially when you pay thousands on a plan. I loved when I went to Best Buy the day the INC came out and I saw a kid buying a Eris. I wanted to be like put that phone back now and get the INC. The Eris is a piece of garbage compared to this phone.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking to get an incredible then you would be a fool not to go to Best Buy. Seriously from my years of experience with Best Buy, I decided to go to Best Buy to buy my INC because I had gift cards. Turns out it was the best decision because never will I go into a verizon store again to buy a phone.

Like someone said the Black Tie program is superb compared to asurion insurance. It cost $8 for the ausrion insurance plus $90 deductible to get ur phone fixed and that's a refurbished phone. Best Buy program is $10 and they will give your 1 free battery replacement(always replaced when your phone is though), fix screen cracking, accidental damage, anything at all. No deductible and they first try to repair the phone and if it isn't repair able you get a brand new phone.

They take rebates of the price right there so you don't have to hassle with all the crap. They are exactly the same price at a verizon store or anything and buying it at Best Buy is seriously exactly the same. You can go to a verizon store and they will swap it out if you want. The other great things is that there is no $35 fee for returning a phone within 30 days. BUY AT BEST BUY. The reason they are so much better is Best Buy gets like a few hundred dollar kick back from verizon for every customer that buys a phone so they can give little things like that over verizon.

A couple of things I have to say about this, you don't pay a restocking fee in the first 30 days. At least I never have. Also if the battery is a factory defect Verizon will replace it for free within 1 year. The rest is mostly true.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Curious...What did you do with the Droid? Did you simply take it back to Verizon cancel the contract and phone and then setup a new one with Best Buy or were you able to simply return the phone while maintaining the new contract and go over to Best Buy and buy the phone at the 2 year agreement price even though you already signed a new contract?

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I actually bought the Inc at BB first, then took the Droid back to Verizon and canceled that plan. I have not ported my main number yet from ATT, so I did not care about the phone's number. Also, I have good credit so adding another line to my account was not a problem.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Ahh yeah I was going to do that today since my local Best Buy got 2 Incs in stock but they and Verizon explained I would have to cancel the new plan I setup which would render that number which I have had for years unable to be used for 30 days and thereof I would have to get a new number.

Sucks cause if it I would have been able to do what you did and keep my number I would have done it in a heartbeat

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats why you avoid the bestbuy type of stores.

Those guys will just tell you anything just to make sure they make a sale.

They are usually uninformed and don't warn the customer of any potential major inconveniences.

Always deal with verizon directly. They are more informed and you can ask them a whole bunch of questions pertaining to your account.

Always better to get the real thing when you can. Don't get suckered by some hs best buy employee trying to make a sale.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
A couple of things I have to say about this, you don't pay a restocking fee in the first 30 days. At least I never have. Also if the battery is a factory defect Verizon will replace it for free within 1 year. The rest is mostly true.

If you go to verizon and try to return your phone before the 30 days then you will get charge a $35 fee. That is for all verizon stores now. I was just referring to it as a restocking fee. Best Buy doesn't charge you a fee to return it. And I have been a customer of Verizon for 6 years now and I seriously love gadgets. I have always gone to verizon stores. I decided once to go to Best Buy to get a phone because I had gift cards and I thought it was so much better. It wasn't high school kids running it. They were the same age as people in the store and they were just as knowledgeable. Plus I had issues with my account and he worked it all out for me. I guess its just gonna be personal preference, i just seemed to find that they were a little better.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you go to verizon and try to return your phone before the 30 days then you will get charge a $35 fee. That is for all verizon stores now. I was just referring to it as a restocking fee. Best Buy doesn't charge you a fee to return it. And I have been a customer of Verizon for 6 years now and I seriously love gadgets. I have always gone to verizon stores. I decided once to go to Best Buy to get a phone because I had gift cards and I thought it was so much better. It wasn't high school kids running it. They were the same age as people in the store and they were just as knowledgeable. Plus I had issues with my account and he worked it all out for me. I guess its just gonna be personal preference, i just seemed to find that they were a little better.

I think you only pay that fee though if you cancel service right? I don't deal with the stores anymore so I don't know if that makes a difference I do all my phone dealings on the site or over the phone.

You say they were just a knowledgeable in Best Buy? Yeah that's not saying much as most employees don't know much of anything about the phone they are selling you unless they happen to use the phone too lol.

It's all about YOUR experience, find the place that works right for you and keep going there until something doesn't turn out right. I prefer the phone because there is always a supervisor above a supervisor!

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I was told by Verizon that I would pay a restocking fee for a cancellation or a swap. I turned my Droid in after 5 days an paid $35 - but I did cancel the account because I got an Incredible at Best Buy.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
It's all about YOUR experience, find the place that works right for you and keep going there until something doesn't turn out right. I prefer the phone because there is always a supervisor above a supervisor!

Agreed with this. Basically anywhere that you seems to have the best service and like the place you are going to is the best choice. I just found me for best buy worked best. So that's just me. I do wanna say I just started working at best buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781