dropping in and out of 3G mode/normal on the Inc?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I know there is another post on this, but I am confused about dropping and picking up 3G on the phone's home screen indicator.

My Incredible will often go in and out of 3G mode, at least that is that
the indicator says at the top of the screen >>>>>

the indicator I refer to is between the bluetooth indicator and the battery indicator. ( 3G -with an UP and Down arrow next to it
)

Is this normal or not ? I have to say, so far I have gotten good signal quality and the internet is very fast.

The 3G indicator on the phone often turns on and off and I have great sound quality for the phone and internet regardless of what the indicator says.

I followed the advice of an earlier post to clear the cache, etc., but not different.

I was told that it is normal for the phone indicator to go in and out of 3g coverage, especially depending on location ?? Can someone clarify this ?

Just want to make sure I don't have a defective phone.

thanks!

Jason.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It puts your 3G network into standby to conserve battery. Once you or an app you have running needs it, it resumes service without delay on demand. In other words, it's supposed to do that it's not an issue.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
It puts your 3G network into standby to conserve battery. Once you or an app you have running needs it, it resumes service without delay on demand. In other words, it's supposed to do that it's not an issue.

Quazme, thank you.

So, you mean, like when I open a browser the 3G will turn on ?

I am sitting at my computer and I can see it come on and off now and then, even though I am not touching the phone.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is correct. Or it will turn on when on or your apps decides to sync. Perfect thing to try is let your phone go to sleep for awhile. Then turn it on and quickly up lock it your 3G icon will be completely gone more than likely. Then when it pulls up it will be greyed out. Now open the browser and watch the icon, it will go white.

But yes as soon as you pull something up that uses data it "wakes up" and resumes operation when needed. That includes background services like Google sync, email, weather, or any other app you have pulling information in the background like Twitter clients or facebook.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is correct. Or it will turn on when on or your apps decides to sync. Perfect thing to try is let your phone go to sleep for awhile. Then turn it on and quickly up lock it your 3G icon will be completely gone more than likely. Then when it pulls up it will be greyed out. Now open the browser and watch the icon, it will go white.

But yes as soon as you pull something up that uses data it "wakes up" and resumes operation when needed. That includes background services like Google sync, email, weather, or any other app you have pulling information in the background like Twitter clients or facebook.

Qazme - one more question..... so it is also normal for 3G not to be activated when making a simple phone call, right ?

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I missed this thread, looks like you got it covered. I just wanted to add, if your 3G is constantly up, your battery will likely drain big time.

I had this issue with the chess.com app. Orignally I thought it was my heavy use of the phone, but my usage lightened up and the drain didn't. 3G was up constantly, and it didn't make sense. I uninstalled said app, and it went away, and my battery life came back. :)

bcp0809

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I read where HTC said the battery issues were poorly written apps; makes me wonder how true this is with your chess issue tpc.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I read where HTC said the battery issues were poorly written apps; makes me wonder how true this is with your chess issue tpc.

I think in some cases this is correct, in others, well some just seem like they may have received bad phones.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with battery life other than this app keeping 3g alive constantly. However, I know that the more I use the phone on the internet, playing games, watching videos, youtube, etc....the more the battery life suffers. I've seen that with every smartphone I've owned though, so it doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You aren't actually losing 3G service/signal. The only time you do that is when you send a text message and you temporarily drop to 1X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084