"Certified Like-New"

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Howdy guys,

Today I decided to stop into Verizon to put in for a replacement when they did a bunch of stuff with my device and came back an told me that I'd be recieving a "Certified like new" device from them within a few days. I questioned the guy who was helping me and asked if that meant by refurbished when he said no. Their two different things.

Now, to me personally, Certified Like New sounds like its refurbished but, I could be wrong. Im looking to get everyones imput on this. Whats it sound like to you guys? If it ends up being refurbished, Im taking it back and getting my refund cause this is rediculous if it is. The guy didnt say it was brand new, he said what it is is they take parts and pieces and run tests and make sure everythings fine... which to me sound refurbished..

ScottLong

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it means refurbished to me.

I would think if it was a brand new unit it would be simply called "New" like "like new."

Last edited:

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The important thing is that (well from what i remember), if you had the phone less then 30 days they should be giving you a brand new replacement...

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Could be a display unit. Its hard to tell if its been refurbished or not.

As someone above said, if its 30 days or less demand a brand new unit. Make sure they open the box in front of you.

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Certified like new generally is a refurb. However, since the phone is so new, chances are you'll get a new one. A way to check is to go to ##778>View Mode>Display>Refurbishment status. When I bought it on release day, it had "Data not available" then when I got my replacement which was called a Certified like-new phone it said the same thing. I'm assuming it would have a date or something listed if it was a true refurb.

Cichlid78

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's from someone that returned it within their 30 days because they didn't like it. (I know, sounds crazy.) Nothing wrong with the phone, so they do a few checks, bam, "Certified Like New"! Just a theory.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
To my knowledge any phones that are sent out as replacements are new phones. They dont have any refurbs yet in stock. Mine came and said the samething. Checked the refurb status in menu listed above and nothing, no date.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Certified new is a phone that was returned by someone that did not like it and there was nothing wrong with the phone. Refurbished is a phone that was returned due to a problem and the manufacturer repaired the phone to "like new" and then resold.

Either way, you're getting a used phone. Just one is just tested to make sure everything works (certified new) and the other had some part of it replaced or repaired (refurbished). In the end, someone had it before you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2