Reducing mobile data usage

sderrick

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
HTC Incredible on a data challenged plan through PagePlus. 100MB a month. I'm using a stock Verizon phone, GB2.3.

I've been using 3G Watchdog Pro to track my mobile data usage. I'm surprised to find that one of the biggest data hogs is listed under the Settings Application! A lot of daemons are listed along with the setting app in the same block, here is the list. Most of these I don't even know what they do and the only one I've used directly is the Settings Application and that maybe 15 minutes. In 10 days they have used 3MB, which means they will use 10MB a month!

Settings
Settings Storage
Rosie Utility
Accounts & Sync
VPN services
Upgrade Setup
HTC Widget Download Manager
Android System
Status Bar
HTC Function Test Program 1.04g
HTC Checkin Service
BrcmBlueToothService

Any ideas on if I can remove or throttle any of these data vampires!

thanks,

Scott

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm Accounts and Sync I get because that's for Gmail and email as well as other apps like twitter, Facebook etc, but Rosie? Not sure why that would need data, Rosie is the Sense task bar at the bottom of the screen.

I would set your Accounts and Sync to the maximum time for sync it will let you for each app, Also, don't use Facebook, Twitter or anything like that. Get rid of the Weather Clock too it polls for updated data regularly. No widgets that use data,

The bad news is that none of these can be removed from the Stock ROM. If you root then you can use something like Titanium to freeze them.

Hope this helps.

sderrick

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish it were that simple!

Hmmm Accounts and Sync I get because that's for Gmail and email as well as other apps like twitter, Facebook etc,

I don't use gmail or the stock email client(its a POS), they are not set up with an account. I'd delete them if I could. I don't use the facebook app, I don't use a twitter app. So that doesn't apply

Get rid of the Weather Clock too it polls for updated data regularly.

I have the clock/Weather app to not sync. I do it manually and hardly ever. So thats not it.

The bad news is that none of these can be removed from the Stock ROM. If you root then you can use something like Titanium to freeze them.

I have read about titanium and other apps that allow fine grained control of applications using the network, but had hoped I wouldn't have to root my phone.

Hope this helps.

Not really. :(

None of the apps you mention are running or being used. I had heard that Android was not a good client when it came to battery or data use. Basically a horribly hungry pig. I hadn't realized how bad until now.

I do have JuiceDefender running which throttles data usage quite a bit. I have all data turned off at night and syncing set for every hour. But still the dang phone is using 10MB a month on items that I don't even use or see!

Still looking for a viable answer.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez