1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

Default Notification alert ringtones?

Ok, I just noticed this and I've had my Inc. for almost a month now, so I guess its not that big of a deal but...

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to use any of my own ringtones as a notification alert, you have to use one of the HTC ones.

What's worse is that whatever tone you pick, it will be the tone for all notifications. So I can't have a different tone for sms, mms, emails, etc.

I'm sure there are apps out there that could accomplish this, I haven't even looked yet(but I'll take suggestions for this if you have any), but I just can't believe that as customizable as Android is that this isn't part of the OS.
    Blackberry Tour 9630, Blackberry Bold 9650 - Crackberry.com username: newberrynewb
    HTC Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE - Androidcentral.com username: newdroidnewb

You have to create a media folder on either your sd card or your phone storage. I chose to put my on my phone storage. Then within that folder you would create a folder named ringtones and a folder named notifications. In the ringtones folder you would put your custom ringers for when people call and in the notifications folder would put the ringtones that you want to use for email/sms/mms.

To set up separate tones for email you open up your email account and select settings and in that menu there is an option to select a ringtone for that account. You would also do the same for sms/mms/voicemail by going to the settings menu within sms/mms and selecting the ringtones you want.
    Galaxy Nexus
    Past Devices: HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by mizterjroc View Post
    You have to create a media folder on either your sd card or your phone storage. I chose to put my on my phone storage. Then within that folder you would create a folder named ringtones and a folder named notifications. In the ringtones folder you would put your custom ringers for when people call and in the notifications folder would put the ringtones that you want to use for email/sms/mms.

To set up separate tones for email you open up your email account and select settings and in that menu there is an option to select a ringtone for that account. You would also do the same for sms/mms/voicemail by going to the settings menu within sms/mms and selecting the ringtones you want.
    ^Perfect answer^. FWIW, I created those two folders on my SD card and put all my custom stuff there. Works like a charm.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

Quote Originally Posted by mizterjroc View Post

Wow, that worked perfect.
    Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

I would have never thought of that. I already had a folder named ringtones so that's why I never had a problem with those, just never realized there had to be one named notifications too.

I also didn't think to look in the individual mail and messages program settings either, I was just going into the master settings

I think that's the biggest thing I'm still getting used to coming from a blackberry is the setting aren't really where I would think they would be. Not necessarily any better or worse than blackberry, just a little different.

Anyways, thanks for the tip
    Blackberry Tour 9630, Blackberry Bold 9650 - Crackberry.com username: newberrynewb
    HTC Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE - Androidcentral.com username: newdroidnewb

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I had the same issue when I first got my phone coming from a blackberry where u customized all the sounds in one place vs. setting them up in different places.
    Galaxy Nexus
    Past Devices: HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
    Thanked by:

Interestingly, I placed a .MP3 file into my Incredible's internal storage within the \ringtones directory, but when I brought up the list for associating with a Contact, that .MP3 filename didn't show in the list of possible choices.

At the time, my phone was hooked up via the USB cable and configured to appear as disk drives with the computer.

So, I unplugged the USB cable and tried setting custom ringtones once again - this time, my custom ringtone showed in the list.

FYI,

- wader

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Notification alert ringtones?

download Go SMS Pro (free app) it will allow you to assign different ringer/alerts for both text & calls

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I forgot to point out, including music you downloaded on your SD card

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

Ringo pro works very good.

Sent from my Dinc using Tapatalk

I've successfully separated notification ringtones for my sms and email, but my voice mail and my email still share the same ringtone. I've read several different posts with suggestions to access voice mail settings to change the ringtone for voice mail, but I haven't found a way to get to any voice mail settings other than the ones that you get when you actually call your voice mail to check your messages. I have the Samsung Transform Ultra from Boost Mobile. This is my first Android phone, and I've only had it for a couple of weeks. So far It's been great. I just need to figure out how everything works. All my previous phones were multi-media so this is a big step up for me. Thanks for any feedback!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

Quote Originally Posted by gy-skidkid View Post
    I've successfully separated notification ringtones for my sms and email, but my voice mail and my email still share the same ringtone. I've read several different posts with suggestions to access voice mail settings to change the ringtone for voice mail, but I haven't found a way to get to any voice mail settings other than the ones that you get when you actually call your voice mail to check your messages. I have the Samsung Transform Ultra from Boost Mobile. This is my first Android phone, and I've only had it for a couple of weeks. So far It's been great. I just need to figure out how everything works. All my previous phones were multi-media so this is a big step up for me. Thanks for any feedback!
    when you say "email", are you talking about "gmail" or the pop "mail" app?

Gmail.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

In gmail you can goto: menu - more - setting - - check Email notifications (at very bottom) - Label to notify - inbox - ringtone.

You cannot, AFAIK, change the notification for a voicemail aside from changing the overall notification for the OS, but at least you can change the gmail notification to make it different than the voicemail.

i did this but the ringtones folder i made wont let me put different ringtones for certain contacts so that i know is calling before i answer as this is very helpful to me is there a way to do this