Incredible's AMOLED screen vs Evo larger LCD

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an Incredible and a friend just got the Evo. I also went to HTC's Evo launch party in NYC so I've had my fair share of time with it and I have to say, IMHO, I was shocked at the difference in AMOLED vs LCD.

I never really gave much thought to it and I always thought it wouldn't really make a difference but HOLY COW.

It was the first and glaring thing to me whenever comparing the phones. Everything from the home screen to widgets to photos, videos, web sites. It was quite dramatic. The LCD on the Evo always looked kind of washed out since I've become used to the AMOLED.

The viewing angles, crispness, deep blacks and color saturation on the AMOLED is a huge win for me that I'm really appreciating. Just thought I'd pass that along :D

glacierfanclub

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to look at the screen on the Evo yet. They have the same resolution, so it will be interesting for me to compare my roommate's (once the get it in stock) Evo with my Incredible.

Only qualm with the Incredible screen is almost impossible to see outside. How is the EVO in daylight?

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
i have used both and i find incredibles screen to be alot cleaner looking compared. not that the evo looks bad or anything but just doesnt match the colors and clarity from all ive messed with.

m_jameson1

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just played with my buddies Evo 4G yesterday. Dont get me wrong, the screen is huge, the phone is fast, and the front facing camera is cool. The display however, no matter how large and incharge, doesnt hold up to the quality standards of the Incredibles AMOLED screen. I noticed alot of washed out colors.

The TFT is pretty nice in the sun, but honestly, how often are you watching youtube videos in the blazing sunlight? Maybe you are, but I have never had an issue with it since day one. The screen is bright enough on a sunny day for me to get to the phone dialer and make a phone call, or send a quick text.

Both devices are amazing, but for what I am looking for, AMOLED takes me there.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
as far as color vividness and clarity, nothing in the market beats amoled, i think it looks better than some ips screens too :)

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about this "retina" display that Apple is touting? I know the resolution is higher, but any thoughts on the outdoor issues, etc?

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a chance to play with an EVO yesterday. Screeen looked fine and it was very responsive. It was pretty and altogether cool, but the thing is huge. Too big and heavy for me.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to look at an EVO real soon to check this out. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference. I knew AMOLED was always a much better screen but I figured it wouldn't have been a big difference or HTC wouldn't have put a worse screen on their top of the line products. It seems HTC didn't build the EVO as nice as the INC.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to look at an EVO real soon to check this out. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference. I knew AMOLED was always a much better screen but I figured it wouldn't have been a big difference or HTC wouldn't have put a worse screen on their top of the line products. It seems HTC didn't build the EVO as nice as the INC.

I think HTC just picked up an HD2, and threw anything and everything that was ready, or was almost ready, for consumers use.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It is. I don't even find the poor outdoor performance... I think it looks just as good as anything else, honestly.

That I would have to disagree with. My zune's screen is unreadable unless I put the brightness to the max, my Pre however is ok. None of these are amazing in sunlight though. I really wish the Evo had an AMOLED in it though.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That I would have to disagree with. My zune's screen is unreadable unless I put the brightness to the max, my Pre however is ok. None of these are amazing in sunlight though. I really wish the Evo had an AMOLED in it though.

I'm assuming the Zune HD? I had one for about two months, and then returned it since I didn't see it going anywhere.

Anyways, I could read it relatively ok in sunlight, compared to my iPod touch. There was a difference, but I wouldn't say 'unreadable'...

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Having AMOLED screen over an LCD should would mean better battery life, right?? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing good about the battery life on the Incredible, but shouldn't an AMOLED phone get better battery life than an LCD phone??

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming the Zune HD? I had one for about two months, and then returned it since I didn't see it going anywhere.

Anyways, I could read it relatively ok in sunlight, compared to my iPod touch. There was a difference, but I wouldn't say 'unreadable'...

I love the Zune HD. I use that for music, and I will have my phone as a phone.
Zunepass is amazing btw.

Having AMOLED screen over an LCD should would mean better battery life, right?? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing good about the battery life on the Incredible, but shouldn't an AMOLED phone get better battery life than an LCD phone??

Varies. OLED's are very efficient at dispaying darker colors, since they use less power. With something bright, say a white screen, the use a little more power than LCD's

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I love the Zune HD. I use that for music, and I will have my phone as a phone.
Zunepass is amazing btw.

Varies. OLED's are very efficient at dispaying darker colors, since they use less power. With something bright, say a white screen, the use a little more power than LCD's

Zunepass is the reason I got the HD. Best deal on media ever. I hated leaving it, though.

But anyways, depending on what you use it for, I'd say the battery impact cancels out.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It is. I don't even find the poor outdoor performance... I think it looks just as good as anything else, honestly.

I know I feel the same way, the only time I have trouble seeing the screen outside is when I have on my sunglasses on, take them off and it is just fine,and I work outside all day. :cool:

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Only qualm with the Incredible screen is almost impossible to see outside. How is the EVO in daylight?

I honestly don't understand what people are talking about. It's really not that bad at all if you turn the screen brightness up to 100%. I use mine in sunlight outside all the time.

I guess it would be "almost impossible to see [the screen] outside" if you were on the surface of the sun.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, while i've found my zuneHD to be harder to read in direct sunlight (i think it has to do with the UI being black on white text, which shows more reflections, coupled with the amoled, makes it a bit harder to read. still love my zune though, i wish it had a 3.7" screen too...)

my incredible seems to be about as hard to read as anything else, i was at the beach yesterday and i put my phone next to my friend's droid, and they looked about the same as far as readability.

out of the sun though, i think my screen looked way nicer than hers.