possible to disable SMS/MMS contact picture thumbnails?

ds28

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to completely remove the contact picture thumbnail from the threaded SMS/MMS messaging?

To be specific, I know how to remove a contact's photo. What I'm wondering is if there's any way to get rid of the generic silhouette as well, so the SMS threads are text-only.

Searched and couldn't find an answer; maybe this isn't a common request :)

kw88

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I searched for the very same answer this morning, and like you, there was nothing. But
I came across a review for the Handcent SMS application (which is free by the way) and the bottom line they gave was that is was much better than the default android messaging. I downloaded it to give it a try just 30 minutes ago... I'm so in love that I had to get back on here and tell you. Granted, I haven't sent or received any messages yet but so far this is EXACTLY what I needed. Just a few things you can customize and some of the options that I wanted changed and was ABLE to:

-You can turn off the contact photo....
-And turn off "name:"in front of everything, thank god.
-I'm a previous iPhone user but had to switch to Sprint so I just got the Evo. I HATED the sms messaging format. I was able to change it to look exactly like the iPhone/iChat format.
-It really bothered me that I didn't hear/feel when I'd get a text and be on the phone at the same time, you can change that.
-You can make the screen light up when you get a message or even turn on a pop-up option.

Those are just some of the things... you can change font, colors, the flashing of the LED light, even the little icon in the notification bar. I think this will be the key to my sanity.

Hope this helps! And here is the article if you want to check it out:

Handcent SMS: The Flexible Messaging App – Android and Me

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i am tempted to try it, but i keep hearing people saying its not that great and end up not using it. i guess i need to just try it out myself!

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I love Handcent - it's replaced the stock SMS app on my Incredible

i'm so glad i tried it yesterday, definitely a lot better. and i am not seeing the slow responsiveness like others are saying.
i may try chomp sms too next week since i hear good things about it.
my favorite feature is definitely removing the pics and lowering the font size.

mmoser

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to completely remove the contact picture thumbnail from the threaded SMS/MMS messaging?

To be specific, I know how to remove a contact's photo. What I'm wondering is if there's any way to get rid of the generic silhouette as well, so the SMS threads are text-only.

Searched and couldn't find an answer; maybe this isn't a common request :)

HOW do I remove a text message thumbnail photo?

CSorange

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
If you are trying to view a photo sent with a text message, and you have several others in that thread, then the LG G4 will show thumbnails of all photos in that text thread along the bottom, which is annoying because it blocks the bottom half of the photo you are trying to view.

The simplest way to turn off the thumbnails is to double tap the screen anywhere, and the thumbnails and top information will disappear. A simple double tap on the screen again will bring them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar