1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Default possible to disable SMS/MMS contact picture thumbnails?

Is it possible to completely remove the contact picture thumbnail from the threaded SMS/MMS messaging?

To be specific, I know how to remove a contact's photo. What I'm wondering is if there's any way to get rid of the generic silhouette as well, so the SMS threads are text-only.

Searched and couldn't find an answer; maybe this isn't a common request

I searched for the very same answer this morning, and like you, there was nothing. But
    I came across a review for the Handcent SMS application (which is free by the way) and the bottom line they gave was that is was much better than the default android messaging. I downloaded it to give it a try just 30 minutes ago... I'm so in love that I had to get back on here and tell you. Granted, I haven't sent or received any messages yet but so far this is EXACTLY what I needed. Just a few things you can customize and some of the options that I wanted changed and was ABLE to:

-You can turn off the contact photo....
    -And turn off "name:"in front of everything, thank god.
    -I'm a previous iPhone user but had to switch to Sprint so I just got the Evo. I HATED the sms messaging format. I was able to change it to look exactly like the iPhone/iChat format.
    -It really bothered me that I didn't hear/feel when I'd get a text and be on the phone at the same time, you can change that.
    -You can make the screen light up when you get a message or even turn on a pop-up option.

Those are just some of the things... you can change font, colors, the flashing of the LED light, even the little icon in the notification bar. I think this will be the key to my sanity.

Hope this helps! And here is the article if you want to check it out:

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

i am tempted to try it, but i keep hearing people saying its not that great and end up not using it. i guess i need to just try it out myself!

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

I love Handcent - it's replaced the stock SMS app on my Incredible
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    I love Handcent - it's replaced the stock SMS app on my Incredible
    i'm so glad i tried it yesterday, definitely a lot better. and i am not seeing the slow responsiveness like others are saying.
    i may try chomp sms too next week since i hear good things about it.
    my favorite feature is definitely removing the pics and lowering the font size.

Default Re: possible to disable SMS/MMS contact picture thumbnails?

Quote Originally Posted by ds28 View Post
    Is it possible to completely remove the contact picture thumbnail from the threaded SMS/MMS messaging?

To be specific, I know how to remove a contact's photo. What I'm wondering is if there's any way to get rid of the generic silhouette as well, so the SMS threads are text-only.

Searched and couldn't find an answer; maybe this isn't a common request
    HOW do I remove a text message thumbnail photo?