Where's the love?

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I understand the fact that there's a lot of Android phones out there. I also understand that for many, the Moto Droid and the N1 are the flagship android devices. However, it seems that there was a decent amount of hype for the Droid Incredible, they're still somewhat hard to get, and yet, no one seems to care. Looking around the web, all you really see is Evo, Evo, Evo. Yea, it looks cool, and for what I can tell is pretty awesome, but what about us folks that have aweful reception and barely get 3G on Sprint. I went the Verizon route because they have the best service in my area. I went with the Incredible because of the power and speed it has. Yet, it pretty much looks like it's been skipped right over. What happened there? From the looks of things, minus a few features that (for me) aren't "must haves" They are essentially similar.

Personally, the Evo is too big. The incredible is about as big as i want to go for a mobile phone. The kickstand is cool, but do i really need it? I barely get 3G out here with Sprint, so i have about a 0% chance of seeing any 4G speeds. The processor's are the same, the rear cameras are the same, and I dont need a front facing camera as I dont video chat.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but it appears like there's more people out there flaming the Incredible because they feel there's only 1 "Droid", even neglecting the Eris from being part of the family. There's very few accessories for the Incredible, no root (yet), and pretty much anywhere you see the Incredible, it's immediately overshadowed by the Evo and sometimes even the Moto Droid. What do you guys think?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
There was a LOT of hype and talk about the Incredible when it first came out in late April. Now the EVO is just the new thing, so of course people are going to talk about it more.

For those on Verizon, the Incredible is still the best thing out there and people know it. I think we'll hear a lot more about it when they get these production problems all straightened out.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
You also have to remember that it's not about the hardware, it's about the platform. We're all on different devices, but what unites us is the Android OS. Personally, if the EVO sells twenty times what the Incredible does, I'll still be happy because that means that the platform is growing exponentially. Devices come and go - the platform is here to stay. :)

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You also have to remember that it's not about the hardware, it's about the platform. We're all on different devices, but what unites us is the Android OS. Personally, if the EVO sells twenty times what the Incredible does, I'll still be happy because that means that the platform is growing exponentially. Devices come and go - the platform is here to stay. :)
That's they way we all need to think...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it's more that verizon really doesn't need a flagship device.
People will still be on big red because of their coverage.
Sprint needs a device because the Pre wasn't a great device (os yes).
Att needs the iphone.
Verizon doesn't need anything except solid devices.

anon(28010)

May 31, 2010
Visit site
verizon was in kind of a tough place with this phone. If they put too much marketing behind the inc, then the motodroid inventory would never go away and moto would be ticked off. they had to play both htc and moto. i am really kind of surprised this has the word "droid" attached to it as well, that is kind of a mystery.

if there were never a motodroid, i feel that this phone would be perceived very differently and it would be a massive deal.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It all goes back to me thinking that naming the motorola droid was a bit of a mistake, but it did bring people to the platform...
RIM makes blackberries, in a few different types (not many) but the people who used to say is that a blackberry are now saying is that a droid? Instead of saying is that a smartphone, etc.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Same CDMA bands, but they both keep a database of their ESN registered phones. It more than likely won't work. One other thing to keep in mind is if it works, you would either need to buy the EVO at full retail.....yuck.....or get underneath a contract which would involve you paying an early termination + price of the phone......major yuck.

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
if you have the right connections its a matter of spoofing the meid numbers and getting vzw to add it to their system. it can be a very long and tedious process

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
yea, I have to say, one of the things that converted me to android was the fact that where I was, there was 1 phone by 1 manufacturer, that could be used on 1 (2 in my case) carriers. Now, there's all kinds of android devices, tablets, phones, etc all running essentially the same software on different versions. That opens the door for all kinds of enhancements. The downside is that cases, accessories and other fun stuff is fairly limited considering what was available to me before.

As far as availablility, it's just odd, that the phone came out in april, and I honestly cant remember seeing an commercials or ads for it until late may, and even those were few and far between. Granted I'm sure a lot of that was due to the fact that VZW was out of stock. Couldnt find them anywhere, that is until I hit up the HTC store on htc.com. I had my Incredible in hand already activated next day. :D

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
moosc said:
Have my evo ordered can't wait. To activate on VZW this will b fun

Thats another reason i hung onto GSM carriers for so long. I could just go on ebay, buy a new or used phone, pop in my SIM and off i go. Better selection of hardware on CDMA and better carriers IMO...

agree with the others tho, good luck pulling that off. wont be easy.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
if you have the right connections its a matter of spoofing the meid numbers and getting vzw to add it to their system. it can be a very long and tedious process

Which if found out will be a reason they kick you off the network and you end up paying an ETF....good luck, let us know how everything goes.

2WheelCowboy

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is just too big. The Incredible,Nexus,iPhone 3&4 ar ejust the right size. I don't want to carry a 4.6 inch device in my pocket. If i need a big screen i'll use my ipad or PC. If the Incredible isn't rooted in the next month this thing is getting traded for something. Very nice phone but without Root it's not a competitor to the Droid,Evo,or iPhone. Not to me. To the average user it may be.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is just too big. The Incredible,Nexus,iPhone 3&4 ar ejust the right size. I don't want to carry a 4.6 inch device in my pocket. If i need a big screen i'll use my ipad or PC. If the Incredible isn't rooted in the next month this thing is getting traded for something. Very nice phone but without Root it's not a competitor to the Droid,Evo,or iPhone. Not to me. To the average user it may be.

I agree, it's all personal taste though, but it doesn't fit my bill. One thing I don't understand, if it isn't rooted how is it not a competitor with the Droid, EVO, or iPhone? It blows all those phones, with exception to the EVO, out of the water. So I'm failing to see your logic on that one.

I would like to have root, but the only reason I want root, is to try getting rid of CityID and a few of the other items I don't ever plan on using. Other than that the phone does everything I want it to now, and I don't consider myself an average smart phone user.

deepfreez

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Well put.