iPhone convert (maybe, still have 27 days left)

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My story:
Stopped into a sprint store after getting a haircut to see what all the hype was about with the EVO 4G's. I absolutely fell in love the HTC sense UI, it was truly amazing. Not a big sprint fan and I have read the reviews of the DInc so I started doing some more research on Android itself.

After about a week of reading all these forums, gadget sites, etc. I decided to pop over to a Verizon store on Friday and play around more with the DInc. I really love the feel and look (size and shape wise it is close to my iPhone), and the phone seemed blazing fast... Asked if they had any in stock and of course not, no new phones expected until July I was told. Alright, no big deal since my at&t contract expires Jul 13th. Well the wife and I were out at Best Buy the next day and I wanted to show her the phone. One of the guys came over and I asked him if they had any DInc's in stock and he just laughed and said "yes, we actually just got 2 in about 20 minutes ago". Sweet!! Thought it was a great sign, I could sign up for the phone and still have the 30 days to decide. If I keep it I'll just cancel my at&t on Jul. 13th and port over my number.

Spent all of Sat. night playing around, downloading some apps, exploring all the goodness, checking here for all the cool tricks and tips, etc.

Here is where I am at right now:
1. I LOVE the phone and feel and flow of the Sense UI. No problems here.

2. Have an iMac and macbook (big apple fan so switching wasn't easy for me). Synced my contacts, calendars with ease using Google. No problems here, worked perfectly.

3. I already miss my apple mail. I was really hoping for a better mail program... I downloaded K9mail and it serves it purpose, but I think I'm just spoiled with how polished apple mail looks and runs on the phone. I'd even pay for an alternative.

4. I hate at&t and am glad to jump to Verizon. Problem, today I had two signal fade errors while using the phone. After about 18 minutes setting up a new XM radio account the signal fade error just popped up and my call was dropped. Called back, nearly same amount of time and all was good. Thought maybe it was a fluke? Got closer to home and decided to dial *228 / option 2 to update roaming. First try, signal fade error/ call dropped. Argh! Got home and got it to go through. Just for the hell of it I tried it again and signal fade error /drop. All of these drops by the way happened while I was stationary so it's not like I was driving and ran into a dead spot. The calls simply dropped.

I live in a pretty large area with good coverage (my state cell phone for my job is a BB and I never have any issues with Verizon). Makes me worry it may be a design flaw with the antenna or just a bad antenna. This has me worried a lot...

5. Battery. I think we all know the battery story so I won't beat that dead horse too badly.

I think it sucks that I have to pay 50 bucks for a better battery for a brand new phone. I consider myself a light to moderate user and I'm getting a day at best. I'm going to try the multi-charge trick tonight to see if it gets better but "having" to do that seems silly. My normal usage on my iPhone required a charge every 3 days or so (and I normally leave it on all night on standby).

Saturday night the chances of me returning the phone within the 30 days was probably about 2%. Now I'm really getting some serious concerns about the battery and dropped calls. The mail program is not a deal breaker but the drops and battery are becoming a factor now. I really want to keep the phone and ditch at&t so we'll see how the next week goes...

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Good luck Pank.

I think I've heard some complaints about the radio, but nothing prevalent. I haven't had any problems. In fact, the signal strength at the desk in my office had been horrible with my Tour is slightly less horrible with the Inc. Every time I stepped out of the office with my Tour I would be bombarded with email and text messages. The wireless on the Inc resolves the email problem, but I also consistently get text messages when my phone is sitting on my desk. Every so often it even rings!

Anyhow...I hope the dropped calls go away and that you find a happy spot with the battery. Good luck!

Steve in CT

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have an Incredible because I couldn't take AT&T anymore. Media syncing and usage is far behind the iPhone. Multi-touch is not as smooth or as fast. The OLED screen is a gimmick compared to the new retina display. Battery life is not as good, I have fairly frequent error messages and app crashes and had none on any of the three iPhones I had. The Android market is poorly designed and run and apps are not as good. Construction and materials quality are far behind the iPhone. The new iPhone spanks every Android phone pretty hard. Google should feel glad that the iPhone is only on AT&T in the US unlike europe where Android is not doing nearly as well because the iPhone is on most carriers. I also find that Android users can be worse fanboys than iPhone users and don't know what they are talking about when they comment on the iPhone. I think thats because they feel a little insecure about their choice. Having said that Android is much better than anything besides the iPhone. I expect we will see iPhones on Verizon this fall and will switch back then.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an Incredible because I couldn't take AT&T anymore. Media syncing and usage is far behind the iPhone. Multi-touch is not as smooth or as fast. The OLED screen is a gimmick compared to the new retina display. Battery life is not as good, I have fairly frequent error messages and app crashes and had none on any of the three iPhones I had. The Android market is poorly designed and run and apps are not as good. Construction and materials quality are far behind the iPhone. The new iPhone spanks every Android phone pretty hard. Google should feel glad that the iPhone is only on AT&T in the US unlike europe where Android is not doing nearly as well because the iPhone is on most carriers. I also find that Android users can be worse fanboys than iPhone users and don't know what they are talking about when they comment on the iPhone. I think thats because they feel a little insecure about their choice. Having said that Android is much better than anything besides the iPhone. I expect we will see iPhones on Verizon this fall and will switch back then.

Hahaha. You have to be kidding. Incredible is better than the 3gs. Wait, oh, they are just finally getting multi tasking.
Iphone speed sucks.

The baterry on inc isn't as good because it does 100 things faster and more efficient than the iphone.

The evo is better than the new iphone.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to A.C.

What do you have your brightness set at? I
have mine set to the lowest, which is where
the green light is off.

The signal issues, I would try switching the
device out since you stated that your BB on
Verizon works well.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I also find that Android users can be worse fanboys than iPhone users and don't know what they are talking about when they comment on the iPhone. I think thats because they feel a little insecure about their choice.

You know I find the same thing true about ex-iPhone users. And the new iPhone does have an amazing display and the UI does seem smoother, but everything else is meh.....their Video chat is WiFi only, 5mp camera. I was thinking about getting a new iPhone on AT&T for awhile decided to drop them and go with Android. Now that I've seen Jobs show it off and saw what it has to offer you can tell they are 5 steps behind HTC with the EVO. Old news plan and simple.

And as far as errors etc you are having, I haven't had any of those issues. Sounds like an Android device may not be for you, I would take it back, maybe a nice moto Razr would fit the bill for ya, you know since you can't make phone calls on AT&T with an iPhone, and Android "sucks" so much!

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh Snookie

Try reading some of the trade press instead of rumor mills. Apple is uninterested in building a CDMA phone since the market is US only and relatively small. Apple is also reticent to deal with Verizon's technical requirements. The majority opinion is that iPhone will only come to Verizon when the move to LTE is reality. That could be several years and then it would probably only be done with an unlocked phone. In the meantime Android market share has topped Apple in new sales and that was prior to INC and EVO4 releases. While the information on forums such as AC is educational, helpful and often fun it is "hobby" related and has little to do with the masses and what they expect from their phones and how they use them. Enjoy your Inc if you really have one. Don't worry the next latest and greatest will be out soon and you can troll that forum.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Love my incredible and I only use mac computers. My .mac mail gets pushed fine, I see a red dot on my mail on my mac within seconds I get the notice on my incredible. I open it on my phone and instantly the red notifications of my mac..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

Kinda Ironic to hear a fanboy complain about Fanboys.

I'm a Iphone convert. Apple does have a better appstore and better apps available. I do miss some of the games available on the Iphone.

However, and this very important, my Iphone would drop calls constantly and be slow as MOLASSES on the network. Without those two critical components up to par, the Iphone was just an expensive Ipod with a contract.

After a few days with the DI, I can honestly say I won't go back. Great coverage and speed. Apps still suck pretty bad, but I'll sacrifice the form for the functionality.

-t

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

These complaints sound familiar...where have I heard them before.....OH YEAH!, when the iPhone first came out they had similar issues. Lets see, Android has only been out 18 months and after each new update Google puts out (again within 18 months) they spank Apple each time, it's getting better. Also, Google is leading in innovation with Android, Apple is only staying with what has been done on other manufacturers and making it better, no innovation. In fact, Apple is playing catch up to the other manufacturers on stuff that's been in other phones for YEARS.

Watch the Android market place after all the new SDK's for the developers are released and Froyo goes official at the carrier level, developers will be coming to it in droves. If your a programmer and have reviewed all the new tools Google is giving the developers, you'll know what I mean.....oh and there is the fact that they are not as strict as Apple as well. Where Apple is trying to create a monopoly with their apps store, Google is trying to innovate. Got a competing App that Apple has? Just TRY and get it approved to be sold on the Apple store.

I hate Apple Fan Boys, they bitch and scream only because they are trying to convince themselves that their products are better because they overpaid for garbage that's been out for years. I'm no fan boy, I've been with Blackberry, Apple, Android, Palm, Windows Mobile and will move to any platform that innovates and catches my attention, and for now that's android. IMHO everything else went stagnant and Android has been leading with innovation so far. Hopefully Blackberry can catch up with OS6.

I love the fact that in order to make a 1:1 video chat on your iPhone 4 you have to beg everyone around you to turn off their WiFi so you can use it....yeah, really innovating. Like to see you try that at Starbucks and not get a hot pot of coffee dumped on your head.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Wow!
A lot of people swooping in to rip this guy a new one.
I'm presently considering either the iPhone or an Android.
It's amazing how many of these versum threads turn into a pissing match. :(

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Seriously? Why would you even post this crap? Are you just trying to see how badly you can get flamed?

To the original poster, I hope you can resolve your issues. I have not had any problems with drops. That may be faulty hardware. Good luck to you in which ever decision you make.

Aaron

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

its obviousl you have not used a nexus one regarding build quality and materials. that thing is like a beautiful work of art, a TANK, compared to the incredible. :D not all android phones are built the same.

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Serious question - what are these apps that you miss coming from the iPhone to Android?

I've seen people's iPhones, and I'm yet to see the application whose parallel doesn't exist on Android. Also heard iPhone users say 'but it's more polished' on the Apple. In side-by-side comparison of existing apps (Shazam, Pandora for two), I didn't see it at all.

So far, in searching forums, all I've seen are a couple of games that don't exist on the Android side. Putting aside the hype that Jobs makes about the number of apps (which is meaningless, as it is for Android - nobody cares about 50,000,000 soundboard or fart apps) - what are you missing exactly?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Serious question - what are these apps that you miss coming from the iPhone to Android?

I've seen people's iPhones, and I'm yet to see the application whose parallel doesn't exist on Android. Also heard iPhone users say 'but it's more polished' on the Apple. In side-by-side comparison of existing apps (Shazam, Pandora for two), I didn't see it at all.

So far, in searching forums, all I've seen are a couple of games that don't exist on the Android side. Putting aside the hype that Jobs makes about the number of apps (which is meaningless, as it is for Android - nobody cares about 50,000,000 soundboard or fart apps) - what are you missing exactly?

Don't you know everything is better, more polished, or smoother on the iPhone.... /sarcasm

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Heh ;) should have known this would turn into a flame war. I'm sure you all realize that was not my intention. I'm a self admitted Apple fanboy (god I hate that word, but if the shoe fits)... I'm just not close minded and open to new things.

Now, back on topic... did the multi charge last night and topped it off this morning. Turned phone on and no immediate battery drop. Seems like it actually helped a little.

Screen brightness is set to auto, to the poster who asked.

Apps I really miss... At this point its only Apple mail.

Made 2 calls today and no drops (maybe the *228 roaming update helped??). I'm thinking it is still maybe an issue since my signal strength is almost always in the -95 to -90 range.

Still loving the phone minus the couple of issues, using it right now to make this post!

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Lol. If the Android is a pain for you to use then please run back to your idevice. Most of us here love our Android devices and consider your devices as toys.

Like many have said Google is leading in innovation while Apple is playing the catch up game. To be clear I'm talking about functionality. Google is on the bleeding edge of incorporating technical enhancements that are productive to one'e life. All Apple is doing is creating a nice UI/UX. Some people may desire a nice UI over a phone's functional capabilities, but as is apparent here we do not feel that way. We demand that a phone be more capable then it's design. It's the Google motto and it works just fine for us/

So if you value the iphone's UI over functional capabilities then please go back to the iphone. Doesn't it suck you have to stick it out on a carrier that doesn't carry your precious idevice?

Not only do I see insecurity with ifans, I also see irrational reasoning capabilities in those very same ifans.

You figure if you unshackled the slaves(iphone users) and gave them freedom(Android devices) they would be happy. They must really like being chained up.

Heh ;) should have known this would turn into a flame war. I'm sure you all realize that was not my intention. I'm a self admitted Apple fanboy (god I hate that word, but if the shoe fits)... I'm just not close minded and open to new things.

Now, back on topic... did the multi charge last night and topped it off this morning. Turned phone on and no immediate battery drop. Seems like it actually helped a little.

Screen brightness is set to auto, to the poster who asked.

Apps I really miss... At this point its only Apple mail.

Made 2 calls today and no drops (maybe the *228 roaming update helped??). I'm thinking it is still maybe an issue since my signal strength is almost always in the -95 to -90 range.

Still loving the phone minus the couple of issues, using it right now to make this post!

Sorry for the derailment but Snookie had it coming. Some gall coming in here calling us insecure fanboys.

If you work by a computer all day you can buy a cheap usb cable and have the phone retain its charge during the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech