Question for Google Talk Users

cdolan22

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Quick question for GoogleTalk users.
Is GTalk supposed to ring while you have a conversation open?
I use it all the time and it seems like whenever I have a conversation open with somebody, the phone will not ring if they send me a message. When i close out of GTalk completely, it will ring. It seems that the phone actually does ring sometimes when the conversation is opened, but that is only after about 5 messages, and again, it is only sometimes.
I cannot imagine that GTalk is made so that you must close out of it and have it run in the background in order to get an audible notification of a message. Or is that the case? Just something thats been bugging me for a while.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this and have played around with it for awhile. You are right, it will not notify you of new neasagesif the conversation is open. This can be goodies bad. I used to find it a little annoying that I would get beeps/rings every time a new message came though while I was actually looking at the screen in a conversation. However, I can also find it annoying that I either have to hit the home button to get a ring with new messages or look at the screen to see a new message. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a happy medium otherhan allowing the use to chafed the setting on this feature.

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Quick question for GoogleTalk users.
Is GTalk supposed to ring while you have a conversation open?
I use it all the time and it seems like whenever I have a conversation open with somebody, the phone will not ring if they send me a message. When i close out of GTalk completely, it will ring. It seems that the phone actually does ring sometimes when the conversation is opened, but that is only after about 5 messages, and again, it is only sometimes.
I cannot imagine that GTalk is made so that you must close out of it and have it run in the background in order to get an audible notification of a message. Or is that the case? Just something thats been bugging me for a while.

I have noticed the same thing and have made several posts about it in other forums, and this appears to be the way it is. On my BB, I had NO issues with it, but on the Android phones it behaves this way. It made me quit using it. I was tired of having to back out of conversations to get notified of new messages should I (Heaven forbid) set my phone down and not be directly looking at my phone. I have looked for updates/info/tips about it and can't find any directly. It seems that it functions fine for all phones minus the OS that it was made for...

Commander

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing and have made several posts about it in other forums, and this appears to be the way it is. On my BB, I had NO issues with it, but on the Android phones it behaves this way. It made me quit using it. I was tired of having to back out of conversations to get notified of new messages should I (Heaven forbid) set my phone down and not be directly looking at my phone. I have looked for updates/info/tips about it and can't find any directly. It seems that it functions fine for all phones minus the OS that it was made for...

In all honesty the Blackberry Gtalk app was much nicer than the Android GTalk app and I've said the same thing about how it is crazy that the client is worse on the OS that it is made to be integrated with. Has anyone posted on the Google support pages?

BTSee

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi CD,

I have the same problem and even made a post about it in another forum here with the same result.

Not getting notifications of new messages is what caused me to stop using Gtalk and just go back to texting. I'm really surprised the app functions like this. Pretty weak.

cdolan22

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi CD,

I have the same problem and even made a post about it in another forum here with the same result.

Not getting notifications of new messages is what caused me to stop using Gtalk and just go back to texting. I'm really surprised the app functions like this. Pretty weak.

Yeah I just don't understand it at all. It seems to ring after a few messages, but by that time people are already getting pissy that you are ignoring them. Google has to fix this.

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty the Blackberry Gtalk app was much nicer than the Android GTalk app and I've said the same thing about how it is crazy that the client is worse on the OS that it is made to be integrated with. Has anyone posted on the Google support pages?

Agreed on how poor the Android app is, and Google is the one that made it. Hrumph...

I think I read a few things on the Google support pages but IIRC they claimed it was a non-issue as only a few folks 'complained' about it. That was a couple of months back, so I don't know if it has become a larger issue. I'll have to check that out...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to work fine, but I always close the app back to home when I message someone. Maybe that makes it behave differently? I take it this only happens with multiple conversations going on and while you are chatting with someone?

cdolan22

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to work fine, but I always close the app back to home when I message someone. Maybe that makes it behave differently? I take it this only happens with multiple conversations going on and while you are chatting with someone?

No, I only talk to my girlfriend on it and whenever I have her conversation opened and she IMs me, I get no ring. Try it out some time, its annoying as all hell!