Personalized Notification Sounds

AHfootball12

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have been searching for a while on 2 sets of forums for the answer to my question but can't seem to find it, I apologize in advanced if I am simply bad at searching.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that you can set different text message notification sounds depending on the contact that does it.

So if my girlfriend text's me, the sound my phone makes is a different one than that of my boss.

Also, does anyone know how to seperate the notification sound of a normal text message from the notification sound when an email from the gmail apps comes in?

I usually respond to text messages right away, but emails I know I can ignore for a little while and hate that they sound the same. On my blackberry I could make them vibrate differently in addition to sound different and I wish I could do at least the different sound here.

All that aside, I love this phone! Thank you advance for all your help!

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
So far you can't do that without installing a 3rd party messaging app.

I hear Handcent and another one talked about a lot here, but I don't use either of them, so I can't help you beyond that.

I've also heard the next release (Froyo/2.2) is supposed to have that, but there's no real way to confirm that until it's release for the DI.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Stock messaging app doesn't allow for customization of alert sounds based on contact. I now use Handcent SMS and I like it better than the stock messaging app, plus it allows the features you're looking for.

You can, however, set a different sound for all your notifications in the stock apps... Ringtones, EMail Notifications, Texts, and Voicemail... You just have to go into the main menu, sounds section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol