Calendar sync...Incredible and Outlook 2007

jnick#AC

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have been using Outlook 2007 as my native email client for quite some time now (at home, it is NOT an exchange calendar). It has all of my calendar appointments and birthdays etc. I'm looking to sync that with my Incredible. I keep hearing that I should use Google Sync.

What I'm looking to do is sync my current appointments to my Incredible, including reoccurring appointments, such as Birthdays. How do I go about doing this? Is it something that I will have to keep plugging in to sync, like I did with my BB Storm? Or is there a way to do it via wireless?

I'm assuming the only way to do it via wireless is to sync my Outlook calendar with Google Calendar and then use google's push service. Is this what's recommended? If so, how do I go about doing this?

If not, can you offer my another option for calendar syncing to the Incredible for my current Outlook Calendar?

Thank you!

wrwrx

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As far I as I tell from what I've tried to dig up on the matter, there is no easy way to sync up outlook directly to an android device. I dont want to load my contacts or calendar up to google. On top of that, google doesnt even do notes or tasks, both of which I use extensively. I want to be able to maintain all of my contacts, calendar, notes and taks through a singluar point, Outlook. How is it that, out of all the previous bb users, this isnt more of an issue? The main reason ive come to use a smartphone, starting from Palm to Windows mobile to blackberry is for the PDA functionality, all of which allowed me to sync perfectly with Outlook. These points, while not important to all, is a huge roadblock for me wanting to make the jump to android.

While I'm sure google is trying to make of play for the next evolution of how to manage your personal data, I'm just not sure I like the idea of having what I consider to be sensitve data (personal contacts, my schedule, private notes and tasks) floating around up for grabs.

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
As far I as I tell from what I've tried to dig up on the matter, there is no easy way to sync up outlook directly to an android device. I dont want to load my contacts or calendar up to google. On top of that, google doesnt even do notes or tasks, both of which I use extensively. I want to be able to maintain all of my contacts, calendar, notes and taks through a singluar point, Outlook. How is it that, out of all the previous bb users, this isnt more of an issue? The main reason ive come to use a smartphone, starting from Palm to Windows mobile to blackberry is for the PDA functionality, all of which allowed me to sync perfectly with Outlook. These points, while not important to all, is a huge roadblock for me wanting to make the jump to android.

While I'm sure google is trying to make of play for the next evolution of how to manage your personal data, I'm just not sure I like the idea of having what I consider to be sensitve data (personal contacts, my schedule, private notes and tasks) floating around up for grabs.

I feel your pain. I am still pissed at Ford because my mustang can't haul my horse trailer. I have even left multiple flames on their forums about it. I mean come on, it is a mustang and well my horse trailer is for horses, DUH! Don't you think it would be able to haul my horses around? Screw Ford, next time I'll buy a Dodge Ram and show them...

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I feel your pain. First, you can sync your Outlook contacts and calendar directly with your android device using htc sync. Unfortunately, no tasks or notes directly. I've developed the Toodledo work around for my task syncing and it is working surprisingly well. It will do for now...

I wouldn't mind moving away from Outlook if there was a third-party option that handled all of the above, but I haven't found it yet.

wrwrx

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain. I am still pissed at Ford because my mustang can't haul my horse trailer. I have even left multiple flames on their forums about it. I mean come on, it is a mustang and well my horse trailer is for horses, DUH! Don't you think it would be able to haul my horses around? Screw Ford, next time I'll buy a Dodge Ram and show them...

good for you ... thanks for taking the time to respond.

wrwrx

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain. First, you can sync your Outlook contacts and calendar directly with your android device using htc sync. Unfortunately, no tasks or notes directly. I've developed the Toodledo work around for my task syncing and it is working surprisingly well. It will do for now...

I wouldn't mind moving away from Outlook if there was a third-party option that handled all of the above, but I haven't found it yet.

I think android has a lot going for them, unfortunately one of the primary uses I have for a smartphone is seemingly neglected. I've used Outlook for close to 10 years now and it's always done what I've needed it to do. I have read a lot of posts regarding HTC sync and google sync, but they both seem to be lacking for my needs. On top of that, the latter requires you to sync up through google servers. I'd just like to keep my data mine. I've also read a lot of people recommend or comment on companionlink and once again, this software also syncs through google servers. Either I'm not ready for Android, or vice versa. I'm hoping the android platform will make nice with Outlook in the near future.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
I think android has a lot going for them, unfortunately one of the primary uses I have for a smartphone is seemingly neglected. I've used Outlook for close to 10 years now and it's always done what I've needed it to do. I have read a lot of posts regarding HTC sync and google sync, but they both seem to be lacking for my needs. On top of that, the latter requires you to sync up through google servers. I'd just like to keep my data mine. I've also read a lot of people recommend or comment on companionlink and once again, this software also syncs through google servers. Either I'm not ready for Android, or vice versa. I'm hoping the android platform will make nice with Outlook in the near future.

Hi sangwich,

CompanionLink actually offers two methods to sync with Android - wireless via Google and direct over USB. Our USB sync solution is actually a little more robust than syncing through Google, as we support Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes (Google is just Calendar and Contacts).

www.companionlink.com/android/

wrwrx

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi sangwich,

CompanionLink actually offers two methods to sync with Android - wireless via Google and direct over USB. Our USB sync solution is actually a little more robust than syncing through Google, as we support Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes (Google is just Calendar and Contacts).

Android Sync | Sync Android with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, Palm Desktop and more via USB or through Google | CompanionLink Software

Hi, thanks for your reply. So just to clarify, your USB sync solution allows you to directly sync w/ the device as opposed to transferting data 1st to google servers then to device? If that's the case, then it may be worth while for your program. However, I'm not too keen on the idea of paying for an application that any smartphone should be capable of out of the box.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Hi, thanks for your reply. So just to clarify, your USB sync solution allows you to directly sync w/ the device as opposed to transferting data 1st to google servers then to device? If that's the case, then it may be worth while for your program. However, I'm not too keen on the idea of paying for an application that any smartphone should be capable of out of the box.

You got it! Everything syncs locally and securely through the USB cable. You may want to make sure you've disabled Google sync from within the Android settings to avoid syncing contacts and calendar to Google once they are on your phone.

Keep in mind that one of the big advantages of actually paying for a sync app is that CompanionLink offers free telephone support (right here in the USA - we're in Portland, OR). With an included sync solution, it can often be difficult to actually get someone knowledgeable on the phone to help. Go ahead and give us a call, we'll help you out even if you haven't purchased it yet.

Cheers!

Last edited:

exmeaguy

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You got it! Everything syncs locally and securely through the USB cable. You may want to make sure you've disabled Google sync from within the Android settings to avoid syncing contacts and calendar to Google once they are on your phone.

Keep in mind that one of the big advantages of actually paying for a sync app is that CompanionLink offers free telephone support (right here in the USA - we're in Portland, OR). With an included sync solution, it can often be difficult to actually get someone knowledgeable on the phone to help. Go ahead and give us a call, we'll help you out even if you haven't purchased it yet.

Cheers!

Does your software sync with the HTC Sense calendar and contacts, so I can use those apps with the sync updates, and use the Deja software for tasks and notes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO