Credential Storage

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
So I finally decided to set a screen unlock "password" on the DI... In the security folder, there's an option to set a password for "Credential Storage". I couldn't find anything about it in any of the other threads... Could someone provide a little insight as to what this is for?

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you look in the security option under settings, there is the screen unlock pattern, then a "Credential Storage" section in there to set an actual alphanumeric password. Underneath where you set an at least 8 digit password, there's a checkbox that says "Use Secure Credentials: Allow applications to access secure certificates and other credentials"... That's what I'm unsure of.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's for installing VPN and SSL client authentication certificates that you use to access VPNs or web servers that use certificates as logon credentials. It's fairly rare to need to use credential storage for the majority of Droid users. If you don't possess any digital certificates that identify you, it has no value to you and you're not missing out on using a feature.

Found it on an incredible forum......

LoveIsLife555

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's for installing VPN and SSL client authentication certificates that you use to access VPNs or web servers that use certificates as logon credentials. It's fairly rare to need to use credential storage for the majority of Droid users. If you don't possess any digital certificates that identify you, it has no value to you and you're not missing out on using a feature.

Found it on an incredible forum......

What is this? I still not sure what that means , that would be awesome if you could break that down sesame street lol but for real I would really like to understand exactly what that means? Can u explain what those certificates are in English not computer langauge...and what exactly is credential storage was for and how I would use it because my phone did not come with a manual on this stuff

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
FYI, as part of setting up my Incredible to access my employer's Wifi network, I had to specify a password for credential storage. Now, whenever I reboot my phone and then attempt to access that Wifi network, I'm prompted to re-enter the password. So, as the earlier poster said, this feature appears to be related to client authentication certificates.

FCAppraiser

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I think I am understanding this correctly, yet please correct me if inaccurate. I'm trying to setup my work email through the Zimbra (Their Email Provider). And, its not the corporate addition from what I am told... However, I've had the email synced via IMAP, and now its synced via POP which I do not prefer, but I'm at the end of my level of patience.

Anyways, I can setup this email account (Using My HTC EVO 3D) and the incoming server has no problems which allows me to receive emails to this account from my phone. However, the outgoing server setup always states, "Invalid security certificate" or something similar. It then asks if I want to continue, view, or cancel. If I continue, it simply continues to state the same thing. If I hit view, I'm reading the credential certificate and it appears valid and up to date, yet it will not allow me to continue, so I cannot reply or send emails from this account via my cell phone.

Is there a way around this? Is this what the credential in setting > security > credential storage menu is for... I don't care if the phone thinks it not secure because I know that it is... And, if a password will somehow help, is there a particular password I need; for example, my email password? I hope this helps the original poster and hopefully I'm on the correct track also in regards to what this actually is.

Thanks in advance!

priyasakhee

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC sensation but figured this out. I was trying to connect to my school's network and I was prompted to put in my credential storage password. I had no clue what it was, so I went into Settings>Security and then had the option to 'Clear all credentials.' I clicked on that and then tried to connect again, and was prompted to put in a new password, so I just made a new one and was able to connect to the network.

tally990

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with the lock screen. phone will not let me get away. instalriala alone application that asked me to set screen lock and now when I wiped the credentials and uninstall the application still can not remove the lock screen. what to do??

Lexi Stamper

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with the lock screen. phone will not let me get away. instalriala alone application that asked me to set screen lock and now when I wiped the credentials and uninstall the application still can not remove the lock screen. what to do??

Go into where you wiped the credentials and see if there's a user option (mine has a system tab and user tab). I did the same as you with an app "taking control" of my lock screen. I removed the user one and it didn't fix it, but it did after I wiped all the other ones (thanks to reading this to see if I'd screw myself if I did all of them). Maybe you have to do the user ones separately?

kcar57

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
What is this? I still not sure what that means , that would be awesome if you could break that down sesame street lol but for real I would really like to understand exactly what that means? Can u explain what those certificates are in English not computer langauge...and what exactly is credential storage was for and how I would use it because my phone did not come with a manual on this stuff
when computers want to talk to each other they have to greet each other first a certificate is information about that computers identity and what Systems vouch for it because each of these certificates are signed by a certificate authority. this way if the communication needs to be secure your computers can figure out if they want to trust each other or not based on those certificates. to make things easier computers can store certificates that they received from other people ideally you would have multiple stores for different types of people or interaction that cert representso in Android system are certificates to your system trust and the user or personal are certificates that you've received due to your actions. any time you use a web page that has HTTPS in front of ityour computer and the website have exchanged and validated certificates (SSL) if you have ever used the computer to connect to the internet through another computer or webservice like connecting to something on your work network from home or used in Internet service to make your internet use anonymous you are probably using VPN there and have exchange certificates with that computers you're connecting to in the middle. just as final clarification when I say computer I mean that in broad terms it can be a: smartphone, desktop, laptop,website, server, etc

kcar57

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
if you have the certificate stored for a computer it is likely that your computer will trust that computer but it does not necessarily mean that that computer is trustworthy this is why it is a good idea to go through your certificates every now and then and clean those up. most situations that cause a certificate exchange don't need a certificate stored on your computerso deleting the certificate won't hurt anything. if you have a certificate for accessing work email or to not delete thatit is probably best to not delete that certificate because it may be a parent certificate and is used to verify that the cert you are receiving is one of its children

Gary Cook3

May 22, 2016
Visit site
So I finally decided to set a screen unlock "password" on the DI... In the security folder, there's an option to set a password for "Credential Storage". I couldn't find anything about it in any of the other threads... Could someone provide a little insight as to what this is for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781