Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jowlah View Post
    I thank you for the input. It has helped. No bragging involved. I had just wondered if it was normal, that's all. On average, how much more efficient should my stock battery be after the FroYo update, as a guess?
    Ah ok, I took it as bragging! Have to hate text only, sometimes it's hard to understand how people mean things when they say them.

With your usage pattern of mainly standby time / idle time about the same. However under usage, depending on the app, it will use less battery because the dalvik compiler is more efficient when using the processor than not having it. But the app has to be able to take advantage of it. Just as a whole you will see a bit of a difference but it's nothing earth shattering.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Ive had the official ota since launch and my battery life seems slightly worse with 2.2 wonder if its because the new bloatware stays running all the time. I use system panel to kill apps but the bloatware just POPs right back up. Also programs that used to close out on exit now remain active.

Quote Originally Posted by otterbob View Post
    Ive had the official ota since launch and my battery life seems slightly worse with 2.2
    Just confirming -- you're saying you got the official 2.2 OTA upgrade from Verizon Wireless?

If so, you're one of a very few apparently.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > OG Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r)

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I have to say that battery life is incredibly poor on my dinc. I love the phone otherwise but it has gotten out of hand - progressively worse as time goes by.

After the first month I couldn't make it past about 3pm without a charge.

I gave in and bought a 2150 battery with the ridiculous hump about 6 weeks ago and now low and behold I can't make it past about 8pm before i get the 14% and then 9% low battery warnings.

I charge at night, phone off, no bumping and only in the car when needed.

Still running factory 2.1, I talk for about 60 min a day, manage the radio connections religiously, do about 100 text and another 100 emails on it daily. I don't have many apps that run, and expect worse battery life when running pandora or slacker - which I do rarely - or google maps with the GPS on.

I keep thinking the battery should condition itself but this has gotten crazy.

Anyone else experiencing the same crappy battery life?

TIA

OK here is some tips on Lipos batteries. I know this info for a fact because I have many app notes on charging systems and chemistry behind Lipos. As a hobby I work on electronics and have many of these and other battery chemistries laying around. Each different battery chemistry requires its own way of being treated.

Never charge the phone if the phone is below freezing. Most charging chips will cut it off if it gets too cold but this can damage the cells.

Heat will always wear out a battery. Never leave you phone in a hot car or in direct sunlight. The cells have a shelf life even when not being used and heat makes this life drop faster. A cell stored at room temp will show signs of wear after 4 years.

If the battery is above 110deg it should also not be charged. This increases the internal series resistance and more of the charge goes to making more heat and increases the problem. Again good charging chips will cut off the charge if the cell temp rises too much.

Li tech cells DO NOT like to be brought all the way to zero all the time. For NiCd and NiMh cells this can help keep the cell fresh but Li do not.

If you phone dies DO NOT try to start it back up without charging it. The cell, even when the controller shows they are dead and shuts down the power, can still put out power. What happens when the cell voltage gets too low is crystals form in the cell causing mini short circuits and converting some of the chemicals used to store power into inert components.

Even with that said sometimes it is good to let the cell drop till it shuts off because it resets the zero scale in the charing chip. The chip tracks the mAh usage all the time and it is what gives you the 100 to 0 percent scale. After awhile the cell will drift. So if it is never brought to zero the scale will be off. One of my laptops I did this on was able to run another hour(eepc 901 low power laptop) after my batteries chip said it was at zero(i forced the computer to not shut down in a lower power situation). So this is just a suggestion from me but maybe every 3 to 6 months reset the fuel gauge in the chip by letting the phone die.

I know there is some more info rattling around in me head. Maybe I will go cruz through my app notes and post more.

It helps to understand what is going on in the battery.
    Last edited by teslatech; 08-31-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Thanked by:

It seems like many of the program on teh phone after the 2.2 update are causing a problem. I now have Skype, My Verizon, City ID and Amazon MP3 starting up on their own. I do not have the ability to remove them from the manage app location. I could use some direction on how to disable them or remove them from the phone. Other than this the 2.2 update is GREAT!

Last edited by klittle81; 06-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Default Friendstream

When I first got my DInc, I tried all sorts of combinations of apps and widgets trying to figure out what hurt my battery, what didn't. I ended up not using Friendstream because of multiple issues I had with it on 2.1, but when I got the OTA update to 2.2 I was real curious to see what "improved battery life" looked like and I also thought HTC would have made Friendstream better.

With Friendstream setup as a widget in 2.2 my battery was waaaay worse. By removing Friendstream as a widget and using the separate Twitter and FB widgets my battery is still very much charged (~70% vs. ~40% at the end of the day). Once the widget was gone I could agree that battery life is better in 2.2.

Yes, this is my first post here, I hope its helpful to someone!

Is there any way to get the phone to sleep when charging from the PC? Not only is the output lower then the AC charger, but the phone doesn't sleep on a PC connection, even if it's set to 'charge only'.

if you disable always on mobile does it affect of the internet apps like facebook or text messaging?

yes it can affect FB, twitter and email from updating...SMS is not data so it doesnt affect it
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, One+, Venue Pro 8 & Nook HD+
    www.twitter.com/howarmat
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii View Post
    I have to say that battery life is incredibly poor on my dinc. I love the phone otherwise but it has gotten out of hand - progressively worse as time goes by.

After the first month I couldn't make it past about 3pm without a charge.

I gave in and bought a 2150 battery with the ridiculous hump about 6 weeks ago and now low and behold I can't make it past about 8pm before i get the 14% and then 9% low battery warnings.

I charge at night, phone off, no bumping and only in the car when needed.

Still running factory 2.1, I talk for about 60 min a day, manage the radio connections religiously, do about 100 text and another 100 emails on it daily. I don't have many apps that run, and expect worse battery life when running pandora or slacker - which I do rarely - or google maps with the GPS on.

I keep thinking the battery should condition itself but this has gotten crazy.

Anyone else experiencing the same crappy battery life?

TIA

I would say that your battery life is what I would expect. I also have a 2150 (and Froyo). Whenever your open the phone to send your 200 texts/emails a day, that means the phone is up and running at full capacity, not including the hour of talk time. I wonder what your "up" vs. "awake" time is on a typical day. Constant, or near-constant use means that just as it finally goes to sleep, it's woken up again. I don't know if you used another comparable smartphone that did much with better battery life, but I'm curious about what you are expecting. A BB has a smaller, lower res, more energy efficient screen, and a slower processor so they are not comparable. The only advice I have for better battery life is to root and install SetCPU to turn down your processor speed.

Mine is set to the following:
    100-81% 1ghz (full)
    < 80% 768mhz
    < 60% 652mhz
    < 40% 576mhz
    Screen Off 460mhz

I can expect about 12 hours of "Awake" time before it drops to 0% and turns off. If you still have 10% left, that means you still have about an hour of use left. That's not so bad. You could also switch out your old battery if your 2150 does die.
    Last edited by BSG75; 09-14-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

Powering off and waiting for the green light to go off after you charge it unplug charger then plug charger back in works

Well I just got my DINC on Friday so I'm pretty sure mine is in the battery maturing phase that all these batteries go through at first. However I wish I would have known that Froyo would kill my battery. I would have left it on 2.1. Anyway to downgrade?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Default Re: New Incredible Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

Playing the conditioning games helps improve battery performance a bit. Unfortunately HTC phones are notorious for having batteries that just aren't powerful enough for the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Quote Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
    Well I just got my DINC on Friday so I'm pretty sure mine is in the battery maturing phase that all these batteries go through at first. However I wish I would have known that Froyo would kill my battery. I would have left it on 2.1. Anyway to downgrade?
    stop running the task killer on froyo and see what happens
    ~Matt
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My wife took her Dinc and I took my Fascinate to Disneyland this past weekend and her phone was dead by 3pm. So she got 6 hours of average to moderate usage out of it. Mine was going strong until midnight.

So...we tested out a few things yesterday with moderate to heavy usage.

Charged up to 100%, shut the phone off, charged back up to green which took 20-30 more minutes(Bump Charging)

Then basically left everything the same except I turned off bluetooth as well as unchecked "enable always-on" under Mobile Network.

She easily got through the entire day without needing to recharge/plug in.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Yeah normally using some sort of power management helps a power hungry powerful device last longer. Especially turning off or limiting services you don't need or aren't using.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    Yeah normally using some sort of power management helps a power hungry powerful device last longer. Especially turning off or limiting services you don't need or aren't using.
    touche lol...kill the phones functions. less function less battery
    ~Matt
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

I got the 1750 mhz battery do I put it in then wait till its completely dead then fully charge it is that how they do it?

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

NO Li-Po does not like a fully discharged state. And all truth be known the phone probably will not let you fully discharge it. I normally don't let mine get below about 14% then I charge it. Li-Po's really like to be charged the more you charge it, to a point, the more it will like it.
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Maybe sounds strange but I rarely text and make phone calls. My main use with this phone is the internet and to check my email. If I don't use the internet vey much my battery lasts 15 to 24 hrs+. Yesterday I was deadheading and spent 3hrs on the net straight starting with 100% charge and had 35% battery left after 3hrs. I got two spare batteries off ebay really cheap to keep me going but I just ordered two 3500mah batteries with a charger and back cover for $20.99 because I'm tired of changing batteries two or three times a day. I used to have a Blackberry Storm 2 and it's battery lasted a lot longer than the Dinc's and I think that one of the reason's for the Dincs short battery life is the 1 GHz CPU vs the Storm 2's 528 MHz CPU.
    Just my opinion.

So, after about 2 hours unplugged this morning, battery is down to 65% with light email and internet usage. When I go into spare parts and check partial wake usage, I see that some process called "UID 10004" is at the top and responsible for about 95% of the usage. Google has been no help, so I turn to you all. Any idea what this process is and how I kill it?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Yes the bump helps every time. And I always bump...not just once then never again. If I charge I bump. I change my brightness lower only when I'm low and know won't be able to charge soon enough. I set my phone to unlocked w the app unlock...and set screen to sleep at 30seconds. I always hit the power button to put screen to sleep whenever done doing what I'm doing...even if set to stay awake when charging. I use minimal widgets that require updating on the home screen like news weather coupons etc. Instead I just ad the app icon to pull up...like where which I only use for traffic info...I try not to use multiple weather apps...but like the bug bc I can tell enough from the top status bar. I don't use a task killer other than the HTC running services. I either ring or vibrate but never both and quiet ring when moved...also set led notification off to all ... so doesn't flash for anything. Never turn WiFi off or 3g but Bluetooth always until needed. I agree that turning these on and off frequently is like turning the car off to save gas when leaving it running safes more bc starting the ignition takes a lot of gas...also like air conditioning....instead of turning it on or higher lower to save money, leaving it at 60 or whatever costs less. Like driving on the highway...highway miles...get a lot more. I have an extra standard 1300mah backup jumped fully charged usually always on me...and rarely now even use car charger. I too don't call and text often...but use navigation and maps a lot...and that's where car charger comes in handy. When using latitude in the city , the extra battery is essential.

Charging how often you want your accounts, and apps to update and sync is subjective...can turn off auto sync. Have found that verIzon backup is useless. And don't need extras like FB syncing etc.

Have multiple Google accts...turn off notification in status bar...especially if using gmail icon notification. Manually refresh when needed...etc etc...

My one question I have is about setting animations...I don't know what that means and how it applies here...but maybe turn off all animation or show some could help...

Also my ringtone notification sounds are peaceful and nothing to crazy...nothing long and loud...a lil ding is fine. Or you could turn that off in exchange for led flash notification ...but only one needed if st all. I like usi ong the features of my phone tho...so if I have the backup battery and car charger and am fully charged...ill have a disco party on this thing loud and lit up never sleep live wallpaper and let it ride....

Thanks everyone...lemme know your thoughts if I am wrong or shouldn't do something or should be doing something or if I just suck at life

Btw the apple store wasn't fond of me when I challenged the employees and raced the iPhone...of course they whipped out the top of the line one...

And got smoked....by my boy...he goes wow that's incredible....I said...funny...that's what his name is...

Go figure....ironic huh. So where are all these geniuses you speak of...at a bar...no wonder...
    I get it now....

And we left...as ninjas

M

Quote Originally Posted by vinva View Post
    So, after about 2 hours unplugged this morning, battery is down to 65% with light email and internet usage. When I go into spare parts and check partial wake usage, I see that some process called "UID 10004" is at the top and responsible for about 95% of the usage. Google has been no help, so I turn to you all. Any idea what this process is and how I kill it?
    Any help here would be appreciated. Anyone seen this before?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast