Phone restarting at 2AM everyday
12-19-2012 12:03 PM
- For the past 3 weeks now my Dinc has been rebooting starting at 2AM everyday and it does it for 3 times then its fine until the next day. I don't want to do a factory reset since I will be getting the Samsung S3 within the next week. All I do know is that I received a update about 3 weeks ago and I think since then this has been happening. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?07-06-2012 01:15 AM
We been there and done that bro.... Hope this helps07-06-2012 05:07 AM
- Same problem with me. 2am reset on each Incredible I have in my house (total 2). This started happening a week after the most recent update. Both DINCs were fine for 2 yrs including the 2.3.4 big update but after 2 years, I am not sure why Verizon or HTC would want to risk making an update to an end of life device.07-07-2012 06:45 PM
- I too had the nightly restarts. Here is what I did and my positive results:
1) I used Silent Boot to quiet the restarts during the night. Note that this application does not work with fast Boot enabled (under settings, applications).
2) I cleared the cache directory as documented for the second GB update:
a) Boot into recovery
b) Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
c) When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
d) When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
e) Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
f) When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
g) Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
h) Select "Reboot system now"
3) I freed memory. Even though you have a lot internal storage, you need both “phone memory” and “data storage.” This is the same method that I used to get the GB update/patch to install in the late fall.
a) Phone memory – I freed 375 MB
4) Data Storage – I freed 50 MB – My advice is to delete the data under Contact Storage, My contact storage had ballooned to 23 MB. It refreshed from my Google Contacts at just over 1 MB.
5) I used Bootlog Uptime to document that my phone is no longer restarting each night.
Once I cleared the cache directory and freed memory, I was done with the nightly reboots. I have been clear for two nights. I hope that I am not speaking too soon.07-08-2012 02:12 PMLike 1
- I've been having this problem for a few weeks now. My phone just starts yelling "DROID!" at me over and over starting around 2am. I woke up one morning last week and my phone was completely blank. I lost my contacts, voicemails, texts, calendar data, etc and cant get most of it back. I brought it to the Verizon store and the guys said basically that since this was the first Droid phone and the system has advanced so much since, that the phone is just unstable. Which to me is total BS since I signed a two year contract and my phone can't carry me through it.07-13-2012 09:34 PM
- After 3 weeks of the 2am reboots and having tried every possible suggestion on this forum and others, I decided to call Verizon. I spent almost an hour on the phone with them, trying to get some resolution, but no luck. Spent most of the time with the tier 2 support guy who then transferred me to his supervisor, who then transferred me to HTC.
First, it really annoyed me that all the VZ people I talked to acted like they have not heard of this issue, even though its well documented on this and other forums. At least the HTC guy admitted that this was a widespread problem.
VZs claim is that my phone is out of warranty so theres nothing they can do about it. I argued that warranty has nothing to do with it since this problem is a direct result of the software update and if they caused (or was partly responsible for) my phone to malfunction, they should be liable. They said they dont have anything to do with the software update other than approving the release. In fact the tier 2 guy kept saying, we dont even like the software. LOL.
HTC basically admitted that these reboots are happening as a result of the update and they dont currently have a solution. He only suggested leaving the wifi on tonight so that the update could completely successfully, but even doubted himself whether that would work. Told me to call back if it happens again so they can troubleshoot more.
I think my best resolution at this point is through small claims court since I dont want to pay of an upgrade. Ive gotten HTC to acknowledge that the update causes the problem and that it is widespread and Ive gotten VZ to say they approve any software updates, so I figure I can show liability on both parties.
I encourage everyone to call VZ and keep them on the phone for as long as you can. Management looks closely at support call metrics like time on the phone so maybe if enough people call we can get managements attention.07-24-2012 11:23 AM
- Since HTC is aware of the issue it's very likely we will see another update shortly fixing the issue. If you want to spend you time in Small Claims Court have at it.
I do agree that the more people who call in to complain, the quicker we're likely to see an update. Each Customer Service call costs VZW about $25-30+. The more it costs them in Customer Service, the more likely we'll see a timely update.
Just a thought.07-28-2012 07:17 PM
- My phone was also restarting every morning at 2am after i did whatever upgrade i did. I tried all the suggestons here--restart, factory reset, volume down power button restart--but nothing worked. I went into Verizon three days ago and told the guy my issue. He wasn't familiar with this specific issue, but he tried something: he changed the schedule that my backup assistant uses to update itself. It WAS set for "every late night 12am-6am" and now it is set for "every morning 6am-12pm". So far, it has worked! I have kept my phone on all night and it has not reset itself at all. (It also has not reset itself at all from 6am-12pm).
Go to 'settings', go to 'accounts & sync', press on your backup assistant, change the time in 'schedule'
So far this has worked for me...I hope this helps others.08-09-2012 11:45 AM
- I moved up my wife's clock to 2a to see if I could force start the reboots and sure enough at "2:22a" the phone is now in a nice boot loop. We're on the 7th restart right now. Here is my question. Is there any point in letting it keep going? Or am I just going to run into the problem again tomorrow night?08-16-2012 10:38 PM
- My experience. Unmounted SD card, removed and replaced. Removed battery and replaced. HTC went into reboot loop immediately. Broke loop by removing battery again but 2am reboot continued. Copied all files on SD card to computer, formatted SD card, replaced files. Everything fine now for about four days.11-07-2012 10:22 AM
- Ok, I checked the backup assistant, and it was already set for between 12p-6p, yes my damn DROID Incredible has been doing this annoying re-boot multiple times to me in the middle of the night - between 2am-6am, as others have complained about.
It is the most annoying thing. The phone serves as my alarm so I cannot silence it. However, how does one lower the volume for that stupid "DROID" scream? Is that different? And can someone provide some step by step how to try this clear system cache, etc.?
And it reboots way more than 3 times. Mine just keeps doing it repeatedly! What the heck? This is outrageous.
Please help11-17-2012 03:22 AM
- Mine has been doing the same thing the past few nights, and it wakes me up everytime when it says "DRIOD" as its starting up. Starting to get really annoying. Just like you I would not like to do a factory reset because I just had to do one a couple weekends ago because all of a sudden my contacts vanashed. That was the 3rd factory reset I have had to do since I got the Droid incredible. Any solutions yet?12-03-2012 04:11 PM
- At least I know i'm not the only one having this issue. My phone pissed me off soo much last night with the restarts it got a nice smack against my night stand. Factory reset it, will see if that cures it. This phone has been quite the POS, can't remember the amount of times i have had to factory reset for different issues and having to turn background data off unless i felt like charging it every 6-8 hrs.12-19-2012 12:03 PM
- HTC Android Phones
- More HTC Phones
- Droid Incredible Series
- Verizon Droid Incredible
Phone restarting at 2AM everyday
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD