1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Default iPhone like decrease in signal strength

I've followed some of the iPhone 4 news and found the antenna issue interesting. Users have shown that covering the lower left corner with your hand apparently bridges and "shorts" the antenna and causes the signal strength to decrease. So I tried gripping my Inc (has a Verizon soft case) in different ways and gripping the lower half of the phone in the palm of my hand causes it do drop anywhere from 5 to 15 dB in signal strength. Interestingly, gripping the upper half doesn't effect it. So I guess we need to watch how we hold these too in areas of poor signal strength.

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

This was discussed before... People have noticed a "Pincer" grip increases signal strength (Holding phone on top right and bottom right corners)... I have seen the signal drop show in the status section, but never lose calls no matter how I hold the phone...

EDIT: I'm talking about the Incredible, BTW...
    Last edited by CRKhead; 06-25-2010 at 12:35 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I've had dropped calls but have never paid attention to how I was holding the phone before now. It is interesting, but you'd think if they knew about it (Apple or HTC or any phone manufacturer), they'd make the critical area the top of the phone because I doubt anyone holds the phone by the top, right or left handed.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I will have to remember this if I ever get a dropped call.

never had a dropped call on my Inc. never noticed signal drops when holding it certain ways, never really paid attention to it.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I've never even felt the need to be "bugged" by what the phone says it has because it picks up and places calls just as good if not better than any phone I've ever had. Common sense will tell you if you place your hand in front of the antenna you will lose a certain amount of signal.

The iPhone 4 issue is something entirely different. The signal "decrease" is because the antenna has actually been moved to the metal ring on the outside of the phone. Speculation has it that it has dual antenna and you are shorting them out touching them. Other speculation says it's a software issue that will be fixed this coming week. Guess we shall see.

iPhone has always had reception issue, and I'm not convinced it's AT&T because I know plenty of people on that network that have or had other phones on the network and never had issue. iSheople seem to always want to blame anything other than there "precious".
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nils Business GingerSense

I wish I had some of your luck, My dinc SUX as a phone, I most time I get "signal fade, call dropped" I am on my 3rd dinc, tech support keeps sending me refurbs, to bad non of them have good signal. At my house I get 0-1 bar signal on the dinc, I have 3, 2year old Motorola moto flip phones and all of them have 3-4 bars and Never drops a call.
    as a mobile computer it rocks as a phone it Blows, this time I think Im gonna tell tech support to swap me out with a phone I can actually make a call with

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

So far I haven't had an issue with calls getting dropped. In my apartment, I only get one bar, but that has been the case with every phone on every carrier in our apartment (people who come over often complain). Luckily my computer/office is by the window which is the area with the best reception so its not an issues. Every place else I haven't had an issue.