Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS in the Sky

As far as I know, you are able to use your GPS without a 3g connection. For example in a plane 40,000 feet in the air a 3g connection is not possible but a gps connection is. The only problem is that Google maps is not stored on the phone but stored on their server which means you need a 3g connection to load the content.

I'm wondering if there is a simple app where the map would be stored on the phone. It would be nice to see where you are in the sky when flying from place to place. I would appreciate if someone knew an app that would make this possible.

Thanks,
    Sam
    YX

GPS will work fine, but you need a data connection to download the map images. so you're only half way there, woah livin' on a prayer!
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Yeah, those rules about turning off antennas are probably just to annoy us... What could possibly happen at 40,000 feet?

The App is called Channel 13 on a JetBlue flight...

Fly an airline with in-flight WiFi.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I have been looking for the same thing. Basically a way to use GPS in an offline mode. After reading your post I went into the marketplace and searched for offline gps. Found an app called Locus. You can select and area and a zoom setting and download the map into your sd card. You can then use that map in an offline mode and turn on gps. It can then follow you just like if you were online. Hope this is what you where looking for.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepzor View Post
    I have been looking for the same thing. Basically a way to use GPS in an offline mode. After reading your post I went into the marketplace and searched for offline gps. Found an app called Locus. You can select and area and a zoom setting and download the map into your sd card. You can then use that map in an offline mode and turn on gps. It can then follow you just like if you were online. Hope this is what you where looking for.
    That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
    YX

does lotus work with google maps or is it a completely separate app for gps/mapping?
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    does lotus work with google maps or is it a completely separate app for gps/mapping?
    It gives you the option to pick what kind of map you want. For example you can pick Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft (classic, satellite, terrain views). You just select an area and save to offline mode. Then open offline mode and load the section that you saved.

Let me list all of the maps to choose from.

Blank Map - Zooms 20
    OSM (Classic) - Zooms 18
    OSM (CloudMade) - Zooms 18
    OSM (Cyclo) - Zooms 18
    OSM (Public Transport) - Zooms 18
    Google (Classic) - Zooms 19
    Google (Satellite) - Zooms 20
    Google (Terrain) - Zooms 15
    Shocart (Cykloserver) - Zooms 8
    Yahoo (Classic) - Zooms 17
    Yahoo (Satellite) - Zooms 17
    Microsoft (Aerial) - Zooms 16
    Microsoft (Road) - Zooms 16
    Microsoft (Hybrid) - Zooms 16
    YX

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

I have 2 options that I've been looking at to use while in Italy since data on my Dinc won't work over there without WiFi. They are both in the Market. OruxMaps and MapDroyd. They both allow maps of different types to be downloaded and used offline. One feature I wish I saw in them but neither has is the ability to search for a street within the map...but they both look reasonable for what you're talking about. Included in the types of maps you can download are VFR and IFR charts...so that might be cool for ya.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Strictly spekaing, you are supposed to turn off your GPS receiver while on a commercial flight.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by pilotbob3 View Post
    Strictly spekaing, you are supposed to turn off your GPS receiver while on a commercial flight.
    OH SNAP TSA IN THE HOUSE! (And yeah you are supposed to, they don't like people tracking live traffic. It causes "issues")
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Check out Maverick too. Very easy to use. Compatable with TrekBuddy AND it auto caches maps as you view them. I tracked my flight last week from Milwaukee back to Pittsburgh without a problem.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    OH SNAP TSA IN THE HOUSE! (And yeah you are supposed to, they don't like people tracking live traffic. It causes "issues")
    Nope, not a TSA reg but an FAA reg. It's a fear of radio interference with onboard flight electronics, just like having the cell phone signal on. Not sure why wifi radios are now appproved, but other radios are prohibited.....

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by pilotbob3 View Post
    Nope, not a TSA reg but an FAA reg. It's a fear of radio interference with onboard flight electronics, just like having the cell phone signal on. Not sure why wifi radios are now appproved, but other radios are prohibited.....
    Probably because aircraft communication channels are in the 2.4/5 Ghz bands? Of course WiFi is too. It's the whole "sir you need to turn your laptop off we are landing", thing that they always tell ya too. I have always left everything on......I need to go read that's really got me wondering now lol.

And for anyone else interested...........
    Turn Off That Phone! | How Things Work | Air & Space Magazine

Looks like from now on I'm turning that off
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CRKhead View Post
    Yeah, those rules about turning off antennas are probably just to annoy us... What could possibly happen at 40,000 feet?

The App is called Channel 13 on a JetBlue flight...
    There really is no science behind cell phones causing plane crashes you know...

But I guess that doesn't matter because clearly the FCC is always correct.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Weekendbum View Post
    There really is no science behind cell phones causing plane crashes you know...

But I guess that doesn't matter because clearly the FCC is always correct.
    What does the FCC have to do with planes? You mean the FAA I think lol. There is science and recorded happens according to that story I linked to above stating "issues" but most modern commercial airliners shouldn't. But it's one of those take everything into account we can because if this beast crashes on takeoff it's on more thing we can take off the cover our *** list. Modern world gotta love it.
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I am sure there are smarter people out there who can explain why it is a problem, but how in the world a RECEIVER can cause communication issues is beyond me. I can understand a transmitter or transceiver of course.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Simple answer is the receivers themselves emit RFI.

All of the regualations regarding the devices in flight are dictated by the FAA, not the FCC....

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    What does the FCC have to do with planes? You mean the FAA I think lol. There is science and recorded happens according to that story I linked to above stating "issues" but most modern commercial airliners shouldn't. But it's one of those take everything into account we can because if this beast crashes on takeoff it's on more thing we can take off the cover our *** list. Modern world gotta love it.
    If it cannot be reproduced, it is not science, it is hearsay and speculation. Read that article, they have not been able to reproduce any of the issues brought up on speculation/chance.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
    If it cannot be reproduced, it is not science, it is hearsay and speculation. Read that article, they have not been able to reproduce any of the issues brought up on speculation/chance.
    Which was my point exactly......
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I found this thread while looking for the same thing. Thanks for the Locus tip; I've installed it and it seems to be what I need. I'll test it out on a cross-country flight tomorrow. If not then I'll try MapDroyd next.

"Strictly spekaing, you are supposed to turn off your GPS receiver while on a commercial flight. "

Strictly speaking, that's NOT correct. Most airlines do quietly allow it, some do not (click for latest list). Sure, all airlines require that you turn it off during takeoff and landing, as with all electronics, but above 10,000 feet you are allowed to use it.

Alas, the cabin staff may not understand this or be aware of their airline's policy, so what I do is A) try to find a policy statement on the airline's website and print that out to show them just in case (politely), and B) use it discretely -- when they come by with the drink cart I tuck it away. No point in creating needless drama.

Edit: after posting this I realized I hadn't seen page 2 of this thread, and went back and scanned it. Now wishing I hadn't checked it at all. In short: yes, there are valid reasons for these policies, and the reasons don't all have to do with the actual RFI. Imagine, misinformation in an internet forum ...
    2003 - 2010: Samsung i500 Palm phone (7 yrs!)
    2010 - 2012: HTC Hero w/ 2.1/Eclair
    2012 - present: Motorola Droid Razr M w/ 4.1/Jellybean

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Alas, the cabin staff may not understand this or be aware of their airline's policy, so what I do is A) try to find a policy statement on the airline's website and print that out to show them just in case (politely), and B) use it discretely -- when they come by with the drink cart I tuck it away. No point in creating needless drama.
    Exactly how would they even know unless you are broadcasting to the other people in the cabin that you are using it. I've even used it on takeoff's and landings not realizing I left it on.....opps.
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I'm just curious about the phone off and gps off while flying. I think it's bullchit because if there was a real chance of it happening they would TAKE your phones and laptops because they know people are not going to listen. To take everyones life into the hands of some random kid with a phone is a little nuts.. so it's not going to happen.