Navigation

vapostol

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
all android devices with unlimited data plans will have google's navigation system stock (kind of like google maps with voice guided gps directions) plus one extra 3rd party navigation program by some 3rd party company (like telenav for example)

but usually the android devices should come with google maps preinstalled which has gps navi enabled on it...

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
all android devices with unlimited data plans will have google's navigation system stock (kind of like google maps with voice guided gps directions) plus one extra 3rd party navigation program by some 3rd party company (like telenav for example)

but usually the android devices should come with google maps preinstalled which has gps navi enabled on it...

All android devices with Eclair (2.1) OS came/ will come with google's navigation system. Older OS phones don't have google nav to my knowledge.

And to answer OP question, yes it is free if it is included on the phone, which it is on the Droid Incredible.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't there. When I hit menu, the only option was to reverse route. I used the nav in car panel, is this not the same as Google nav? Because I just tried Google nav from its icon and the UI looks completely different and when I hit menu, exit navigation option was available.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I used the Nav last weekend on a trip to the beach (about 2 hrs). When I picked up my phone at the end..it was REALLY HOT. not so much that I couldn't hold it, but I definately couldn't use it.

Anyone else encounter this?

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I used the Nav last weekend on a trip to the beach (about 2 hrs). When I picked up my phone at the end..it was REALLY HOT. not so much that I couldn't hold it, but I definately couldn't use it.

Anyone else encounter this?

Whenever you use this phone to much it gets really hot .....I figure if it burns out I will just get a new one. The screen must really such some juice.

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't there. When I hit menu, the only option was to reverse route. I used the nav in car panel, is this not the same as Google nav? Because I just tried Google nav from its icon and the UI looks completely different and when I hit menu, exit navigation option was available.

They are similar but not the same, the Nav from the car panel just uses the Google Maps app and the Google Maps Nav app in it.

When you hit Nav from the car panel it just takes you to a map screen with your start and destination fields where you can select where you'd like to go. Once you select them it gives you written, scrollable, directions.

From there you can push "show on map" which simply shows the route on a normal Google Maps screen (not Google Maps Nav, there is a difference). I believe this is where you were when you said you couldn't find an exit button. From there you can just leave the Google Maps program just as you would any other program, but simply pushing the home button or any other method you choose. Once that map is not on the screen anymore, it will not be using GPS or any extra battery.

Instead of pushing "show on map" you can push "navigate", which will open up the actual Google Maps Nav app (the same one you can open from your app drawer). Once it opens that, it will give you verbal guided directions as you drive (turn by turn).
This is where you can push menu and select "exit navigation", which will do just that and take you back to the home screen.

The reason you need to select "exit navigation" is because just pushing home will take you home, but the GPS will still be running and it will continue to give you turn by turn directions even if the map isn't up.

So bottom line is, Google Maps and Google Maps Nav are two different apps, but both can be accessed from the Car Panel Nav. Both can also be accessed from app drawer or any other way you get to your apps.

Google Maps does not need to be exited (nor are you able to)
Google Maps Nav needs to be exited if you no longer desire navigation

Sorry for the dissertation:)
Hope if helps

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Google maps nav is IMO the killer app on the phone. It is the one thing that you can show people, even some iPhone users, and blow them away. You basically get a TomTom or Garmin with your phone for free. So awesome.

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Google maps nav is IMO the killer app on the phone. It is the one thing that you can show people, even some iPhone users, and blow them away. You basically get a TomTom or Garmin with your phone for free. So awesome.

yeah, the navigation is amazing, especially with the traffic feature. huge drain on battery and basically necessitates a car charger, but agreed it's a great app. it's nuts to me that it's free and i assume stand alone GPS devices aren't going to be around much longer.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The reason it's killer is the excellent voice recognition. I've used it several times where I just speak where I want to go and it does the rest.

really really really cool

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah, the navigation is amazing, especially with the traffic feature. huge drain on battery and basically necessitates a car charger, but agreed it's a great app. it's nuts to me that it's free and i assume stand alone GPS devices aren't going to be around much longer.

have you guys noticed if it takes traffic into account while driving? one time i was heading somewhere within downtown atlanta and traffic was horrible on the interstate, yet it told me to stay on there, even thought it was red/black. Then i hit detour, it showed me a local route option. i took that and was there in no time. just confused why it didn't tell me to do that in the first place. when i typed in my destination, the traffic was already bad at the moment.

also other times when i am on a long distance trip, if get close to a traffic jam caused by an accident, the navigation doesn't re-route me automatically. i have to do it manually like up above. i thought it would take traffic into consideration the whole time and keep me on track by re-routing automatically.

3rd thing i don't like is that google maps directions aren't always the best or most efficient. this goes for even the online directions. check out these directions here. If you are not familiar with the atlanta area, you can still look at it and see that 2 things don't make sense. For the start of the directions, not sure why it tells you to take a local road to get to the main interstate when you go right over another one that is connected to it! Its much quicker to get on 285 to 75.
Then near the destination, if tells you to get off the interstate pretty early, but if you look at the local road it suggests, you literally cross right over the interstate again. Why not tell you to exit off the last point. Living here I know these are longer directions, but if you are a tourist, you would just go by what it says and reach your destination in a longer time period than it should take.

But i agree that the UI, usability, and the fact that is is free, you can't beat it. but a few small things on the directions gives me a hard time.

gmz73#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've used this feature but does it provide voice guided or just on screen? Maybe I missed something on the phone but just wanted to know if it has voice guided navigation on google maps. This was the only thread I could find and I didn't want to start a new thread over it.

Thanks!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used the Navigation ,just to check it out but it does drain down the battery and yes depending on how long its in use as to how hot the phone gets. I talked with a friend who has apple 3g iphone but has updated its software and its the same on that phone as far as a battery burner upper.Also another who has the Eris and its the same too , guess turing on the GPS stuff is just that way :)

Yes it has turn by turn with voice btw

after you open the maps >menu button>directions(enter where you want directions to :p)> then push go> then navigation button

Last edited:

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
3rd thing i don't like is that google maps directions aren't always the best or most efficient. this goes for even the online directions. check out these Then near the destination, if tells you to get off the interstate pretty early, but if you look at the local road it suggests, you literally cross right over the interstate again. Why not tell you to exit off the last point. Living here I know these are longer directions, but if you are a tourist, you would just go by what it says and reach your destination in a longer time period than it should take.

If you press MENU>>>ROUTE INFO, then select the button/icon with two arrows, it will provide you at least two other possible routes that you can use.

yomonk1

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if there are alternate voices available for the nav? How cool would it be to have like the TomTom Darth Vader voice.

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Agree that having this free app is amazing. Does anyone have any idea on what the Google development schedule is? I know it's in beta, so there are some unfinished aspects to this app. The things I love are:

Automatic rerouting
Satellite, street and traffic views
Layers feature
History of requested directions
Never having to pay for updated maps
Good voice for giving directions
Ability to get directions by voice

FWIW, here are some things I hope Google improves:

Storing favorites - right now I use Nav Launcher, but this function should be part of the Nav app
Should be able to get directions repeated
Should be able to set up default views with layers that apply to all requested directions
Should be able to search for more items than just banks, gas stations and restaurants (for example, police and fire stations, grocery stores, libraries, entertainment venues)
Should be able to designate a different starting point for a trip other than current location
Should be able to designate a route with multiple stops
Would be nice to have a choice of voices