Destroyed my phone - Warranty Question

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
So today I managed to crush the screen on my Incredible.

I did not have any warranty at all. I panicked and called Verizon to see if I could enroll for their extended coverage two months after I bought the phone.

To my surprise, they allowed it and I now have extended coverage. So I was wondering:

Was this a slip up? If so, should I wait a little while before filing a claim at my local VZW store to receive a replacement? Or does it matter?

I don't want them to look at my account and say "He just applied for the coverage YESTERDAY!" And not replace the phone.

Thanks!

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, how did you do that?

I know when I signed up for insurance, he told me I had to get it then or couldn't add it on for the first few months.

I would just wait for a little bit before I did anything in case they flagged me and refused to pay.

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
How did I crush the screen or how did I get the coverage?

I jumped out of the back of a truck while carrying an air conditioner and it smashed down on the phone while it was in my pocket.

For the coverage, I think I just got lucky. I talked to a really cool rep who told me that he had just broken two of his phones the day before and that the extended coverage was a godsend, I agreed and told him that I "dropped" my phone today and that it gave me a reality check to get a warranty. ;)

He agreed and added the coverage. I was super nice and so was he, I even wished him good luck with his future phones because two in one day is a little ridiculous.

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
So I get my bill on the 2nd.

If it shows up on there and I pay it, do they have no choice but to allow the coverage?

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm...

So let me get this straight....

You were too cheap to buy the insurance.....

Then smashed you phone.....

Now, your ripping Verizon off for a new phone and are asking (here on this forum) how not to get caught....

of course.... I guess everyone is entitled to one "free pass"...

Always get the insure....

Lego!

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm...

Now, your ripping Verizon off for a new phone and are asking (here on this forum) how not to get caught....

Lego!

Exactly! :D

I also "ripped them off" when I got the phone, too. (I had no upgrade available, but was able to get the promo price.)

I suppose I get really lucky with the reps!

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm...

Lego!

I guess I kind of feel like if they'll add it, then they should pay for a replacement. If they didn't want them to add insurance onto new accounts for say 6 months, then flag them so no one can add them.

I just wasn't willing to take the risk on such a nice phone. I'm pretty good with them but you just never know. Better to be safe than sorry!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you have a 30 day period you can't file claims when signing up for a previously uninsured phone. I could be wrong though. And I totally don't agree with this idea at all, next time insure your phone it's not that expensive. Good luck.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
if you go to a verizon kiosk, they can replace your phone for $50. i was told this isn't a one time thing. you can do it whenever. i did this with one of my phones that i bought off someone from ebay. as long as it's the phone that's activated on your account, you can just pay $50 and they send you a replacement in the mail along with the return pack.

dr.duct_mossburg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Hold your horses..

You got the extended coverage? or insurance?

Extended warranty can easily be added, the insurance.. no. If in fact you did get the insurance, good for you. The system does allow us to add it after the fact, but we are not supposed to.

Is your phone still usuable? Verizon tracks this kind of stuff. If you add insurance after the purchase and then do a claim, they will check usuage to insure they weren't being scammed.

As far as going to a kiosk and getting a new one for $50.. good luck.. First of all, this isnt going down with the incredible. Secondly, they are no longer supposed to do that and it has been like that for some time now.

I hope you all the luck in that you get a new device because I hate to see this happen to people, but really??? you buy a $500+ phone and don't get insurance? what were you thinking? lol

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm...

Lego!

He's paying for insurance now, so what he didn't get the insurance two months ago...it's not a rip off. Some people are just so damn uptight.

Scopic

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Under my plan information it lists:

TEC ADVDEV - ASURION $7.99

Is that the correct coverage?

Thank you for all the good luck, guys! I know from now on to always go with the warranty (I thought just buying a case would be good enough :eek:).

EDIT:

I used the phone for, like, two calls after it was broken. It's very hard to make out the screen but I was able to see some numbers and the "phone" button at the bottom. The rest was just memory, lol.

Last edited:

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not "uptight" it's being ethical and not condoning insurance fraud.

Call it what you want, I still think it is uptight because it doesn't make a difference if you drop the phone right before or right after getting the insurance...you still going to pay the same insurance fee. It was two months, wow, he defrauded the insurance company out of $16, big deal.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante