Turn off Data Connection

johnhboyd

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
We're headed for Alaska and Canada for a couple of months. I have added a Canada calling option for phone calls, but don't want to add that for data connections.

1. What do I need to turn off to prevent the phone from using a data connection?

2. Does GPS use a data connection?

3. If I am someplace with a WiFi, then I can use that on the phone without using Verizon's Data?

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
1. on your Home screen, go to MENU, SETTINGS, WIRELESS & NETWORKS, and turn off the MOBILE NETWORK option. That turns off data only. (airplane mode will turn off all wireless connections).
2. GPS alone does not use data. Sometimes when you use your GPS it will use some data to get a quicker location reading. but if you have the option above turned off, it should only use the GPS for location services and thus will not charge anything.
3. Yes you can use Wi-Fi anywhere in the world without data charges.

Just remember, MMS messages (sent or received) can only go through the Cellular Data network. if you are on wi-fi, you will notice your 3G icon go away. if you send/receive a MMS message, you will notice the 3G icon come back up to finish that transfer and then go away. So not sure what will happen if you try to send/receive a MMS message. you might want to turn off the MOBILE NETWORK option and then try to send one to see what happens. If it forces it through, then you would get charged internationally for that MMS message.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
so i just gave the MMS thing a test, and it will still push the MMS through even though you have Mobile Network turned off. but i don't think you get charged by data roaming when you send those internationally. I think its a flat international rate per message. i tried looking online but it doesn't list the rates. also for SMS messages, you might want to check the fee on those, but since you got the Canada plan, it should be free.
If you want data roaming for free while traveling, the plan is $65/month. Since you are going for a couple of weeks, your charge would be half of that. just something to consider.

johnhboyd

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
so i just gave the MMS thing a test, and it will still push the MMS through even though you have Mobile Network turned off. but i don't think you get charged by data roaming when you send those internationally. I think its a flat international rate per message. i tried looking online but it doesn't list the rates. also for SMS messages, you might want to check the fee on those, but since you got the Canada plan, it should be free.
If you want data roaming for free while traveling, the plan is $65/month. Since you are going for a couple of weeks, your charge would be half of that. just something to consider.

The data roaming fee that the Verizon CS was quoting was higher than that, I think. More important, I am grandfathered for unlimited data. Don't want to give Verizon any excuse to get rid of that goodie.

Thanks for the replies.

BTW, does using my phone with PDA Net count as data or as minutes?