How to add unknown number to existing contact

CougPDX

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Alright folks. I've searched the net and other forums, and I cannot find the answer. I have an HTC Droid Incredible running Android 2.1:
How can I add an unknown number from my Call History to an EXISTING CONTACT? When I long-press an unknown number in my History, the only option for contacts is "Save to Contacts". Other than making a new contact, then copying/pasting the number from there into another existing contact (a pain), is there another easy way to do this? I can't believe it's not an option... My old LG enV did it.

Thanks

jshaffer75

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what your doing but I...

1. tapped phone button from home screen. (call log shows up from there)
2. long press on # you want saved.
3. select save to people.
4. save to existing contacts
5. select contact
6. number shows up and you can select which type of # it is. ( home, business, cell....)
7. select save.

Try that. not sure why it doesnt work for you..

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you have to access it from the Phone app, not the call history app. It's not intuitive since those are not separate apps on really any other platform but Android...

albertinamel

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
phone-dependent

Maybe it's phone-dependent. On my HTC MyTouch 4G, if I long press the unknown number in my call log, it comes up w/a menu including "view detailed call log", "edit number before calling", "send text message," "delete from call log," "save to people", and "divert calls". Under "Save to People" you can choose to save to an existing contact or a new one.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's phone-dependent. On my HTC MyTouch 4G, if I long press the unknown number in my call log, it comes up w/a menu including "view detailed call log", "edit number before calling", "send text message," "delete from call log," "save to people", and "divert calls". Under "Save to People" you can choose to save to an existing contact or a new one.

I can save from the call log on my dinc no problem.
Don't know if the OP knows that long pressing gives you options in the os?

timprosser

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can't seem to do this on my Galaxy S II.
If I go to the call log and hold my finger down on the call it will let me "Create Contact" or "Update existing", which is what I want to do.
I tap on "Update existing" and it lets me search for and find the contact.
I tap on the chosen contact and it brings up a short display showing only the link (facebook), the name, and the email address.
From there I can only go back to the contact list (via the "X") or tap the picture to go to the full contact listing, but there are no phone number spots - no place to enter the number - all I see are Email, Connections, Groups, and Ringtones. (Weird - why have ringtones if you can't enter a phone number??).
From there I can only save the contact by pressing the pencil, go back to the contacts list, or go back to the previous short display.

How can I add a phone number to this contact (which was sucked in from my facebook friends list, incidentally), let alone do it from the call record?
I sure appreciate any help. Thanks.
(Maybe I'd be happier if I just rooted this thing so I could deal directly with Linux and got rid of all this happy horse$h|t that is supposed to "make it easy for me". It can't be worse ... )
-----------
Part 2
I did find a way -- the "Create contact" button creates a contact with just the phone number in it, then if I name it the same as the contact I want to add the number to and hit the menu button it will let me "Join contact" by name and add the phone number into the existing contact that way. It's clumsy but it works - still, seems like they could have designed this better. How many decades have we been designing software??

If anyone knows a way to "Update existing" contacts from phone records I'd like to know it. Thanks again ---

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34