1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default People receiving DInc week of 7/4 - How is the screen

Do the new Incredibles that people are receiving this week have the new LCD panel? I'm curious to hear (and see - if someone will post a video) how the screen performs - especially in direct sunlight.

Any of you new Incredible owners care to share your thoughts. It would be very cool if someone would post a video comparing the AMOLED to the LCD.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I'm guessing you won't start seeing those screens in the wild for another month or so. It will be pretty far back in the production line at this point I would imagine. Then again I could be wrong, let us know!
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Default How do I tell if it's AMOLED or LCD?

So I just picked up my Inc. How do I tell which screen I got? Went into Settings > Hardware Info and it says I have Hardware version 0002.

I believe 0002 is AMOLED

I guess I must be AMOLED then. I wasn't sure but I am also ver. 0002. I got my phone last Thursday afternoon... (July 1st)

Still looking for a definitive way to tell...
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I got a release day phone, well the day after, and mine is version 0002 also. Not sure if they will change that number though on just the screen?
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

From the information I've been able to gather HTC is still going to send out the AMOLED screens mixed in with the LED screens so you may not know what you've got until you receive your phone.

Side by side I've read that the LED appears a little flat... Not as rich in depth of color.

I'd probably be too daft to notice a difference.

At this point I probably wouldn't even care if there was a difference, just so I could have my phone in hand!

What I've read has stated that they would be starting in July/August sending out the phones with the new screens but Verizon keeps pushing out that ship date so they obviously still haven't been able to catch up on the backorders.

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    ROM
    OMFGB

I'd be happy to get an LCD screen. The daylight performance on the AMOLED is terrible.

I read on this forum a few days ago a link or discussion about how the Incredibles with the LCD screen would clearly have it marked on the packaging.

While I'm very happy with the AMOLED display on my Incredible, I'm thinking the difference between the two is going to be pretty negligible. I'd take this phone either way.

received yesterday and hardware 0002 so assuming AMOLED and i believe you were correct, allisonv7, that the packaging or something is going to be marked and there was nothing really special about my box

I got mine yesterday. It appears to be AMOLED. I gave it a test run in the sunlight as well. I had the brightness at about 35% indoors and it was great. In the sun, that didn't cut it but there's a widget to increase brightness. There's another "widget" that works great in the sun too. It's called your hand and you can use it to shield the screen just like with most other smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    they already have been. build 002 is amoled, build 003 is LCD or TFT or whatever it's called.
    i believe thats the post we want to see

Quote Originally Posted by gnh5002 View Post
    i believe thats the post we want to see
    Thanks for the confirmation. For all those keeping track, I got mine yesterday and its an 002.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Do we actually have confirmation, except from patches, that hardware version 003 is for sure the different screen?
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I thought they were continuing to provide the AMOLED for the Incredible and switching to a new screen when the new device is launched?
    Storm 1 > Droid Eris > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Galaxy Nexus!

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Trophias View Post
    I thought they were continuing to provide the AMOLED for the Incredible and switching to a new screen when the new device is launched?
    They aren't moving away from AMOLED they are supplementation manufacturing with the different screens until they can get caught up.
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trophias View Post
    i believe it is that to help with the demand they will be using the LCD for the Incredible because they are more readily available...not to come for a little while who knows when besides the obvious people in the companies (sony and htc that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    Do we actually have confirmation, except from patches, that hardware version 003 is for sure the different screen?
    patches is one of the most reliable sources there is so i trust his word

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    They aren't moving away from AMOLED they are supplementation manufacturing with the different screens until they can get caught up.
    better way of saying it

According to an e-mail I received back from HTC when I asked how to tell which screen your Incredible had, they aren't aware of any Incredibles being made without AMOLED screens:

.....................................................................................................
    Hi, I'm xxxxxx, and I will be glad to assist you today. We have no information about the screen being changed to a different type for screen. Your device should have the Amoled screen due to that is the type of screen the device was released with. If you have any other questions feel free to reply.
    .....................................................................................................

Take it for what it's worth, I guess...
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I got mine July 2 an is AMOLED but even if it wasn't I still would have kept .You can easily tell if it is or isn't just by using it outside too

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I got mine July 2 an is AMOLED but even if it wasn't I still would have kept .You can easily tell if it is or isn't just by using it outside too
    Oh, I would keep it either way as well! I LOVE this phone!

I was just posting this for people who were asking, as I was, how to tell which screen you got. According to at least this HTC support rep (who hopefully isn't completely misinformed), there aren't any screens being shipped other than AMOLED, period.

This could explain the delay as well...they were just waiting for Samsung to catch up with production demand before shipping more phones...
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!