Dropped my DInc in a lake. Its OK.

Tommygun45

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Just figured I would share my quick tale of this past weekend. Over July 4th weekend I was getting off a boat when the rope holding it to the dock snapped. I promptly fell in the lake with my month old INC in my pocket and was completely submerged for about 5-6 seconds with the phone in my pocket. Here is what I did next...

1. Removed the battery as quickly as possible and shook the phone in order to remove as much water as possible.

2. I then used a hair dryer, (even though its not recommended) to continue drying the phone but from a fair distance, roughly half a foot and continued for roughly 40 minutes. I made sure the air hitting the phone was safe for even skin, as to not melt anything.
*It is recommended at this step to use a vacuum rather than a hair dryer or any kind of fan, as blowing into the phone may just push the water further into the internal components.

3. Then I likely made a mistake. My phone felt fairly dry so I put the battery back in and tried to turn it on. I was pretty much panicking at this point so I had to see if it worked. Well it turned on and fluttered and acted odd, then the screen was filled with static and the phone turned off. It was completely non-responsive after that.

4. I had pretty much given up hope at this point as I figured my attempt at turning the phone on had short circuited the internals and it was done. I even went ahead and made my insurance claim. (Asurion is backed up until August as well with shipments.) However I used the tried and true method of completely submerging my phone in rice. (Uncle Ben's brown rice and some Spanish rice, it was all I had.)

5. I waited roughly 30 hours and figured I'd give it a shot. This time I did use a vacuum to suck out all of the rice fragments and dust and hopefully get any following moisture out of the phone. Sure enough it turned on and was completely operable. I have since switched back the phone as my primary phone and it works wonderfully.

6. For any wondering, the insurance is a total of 7.99 per month and it would have cost 89 dollars to replace the device if they were in stock.

Either way I figured this was a fairly inspirational story as I was extremely upset when I thought I had destroyed it. It's always good to read up on a wiki about what to do if you drop your phone in the drink.

Good Luck.

Also I can't recommend the phone enough, I honestly think it is a far more manageable and useful phone than the new X and the new limited Blur on the X to me looks gross. Sense is beautiful and intuitive and this phone flies.

rabbithole13

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, glad it's still working for you!!

My sister has the worst luck with phones, has gotten them stolen, washes them, drops them, loses them. Anyway, she's washed two of them, and the rice trick worked both times. It took about a week of leaving it in the bag but they eventually turned back on and worked perfectly after that. I think she's got one of those rice phones right now. :)

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap!! Haha that's so sick congrats man!!! I can't imagine what I would do of that happened to me haha

Good to hear its up and running :)

ro1224

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Another remedy is to put the phone (opened up) e.g. battery cover off, battery pulled in an airtight container with dry white (uncooked) rice overnight. The natural "moisture wicking" behavior of the rice helps to pull moisture from the device. Did this with one of my previous BlackBerry smartphones and it worked flawlessly. I think the hair dryer approach isn't recommended because of the damage the heat can cause to the sensitive (e.g. delicate) electrical components in the phone.

justinandroid

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
we always hear about rice for drying...

anybody ever tried to dry electronics with cat litter? I mean it is used all the time to soak up oil and liquid from garage floors. Wouldn't it do the trick maybe even better than rice??

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
we always hear about rice for drying...

anybody ever tried to dry electronics with cat litter? I mean it is used all the time to soak up oil and liquid from garage floors. Wouldn't it do the trick maybe even better than rice??

But then you have to worry about your cat trying to pee on your phone whenever you leave it lying somewhere! ;-)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nice job man, but there are more stories of phones that die after this. Seems water corrosion on the circuit board can bite after it's ran for awhile, hopefully this doesn't happen to you. Good job!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, I don't konw how to swim so I would be stuck looking at my phone going to Davie Jone's locker. Do you have insurance on yours?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
SHHHHHHHHHHH!

I got my DInc because I accidently dropped my Treo in the toilet! I was holding out for the end of the year to upgrade… A week later the dammed Treo booted after sitting in rice without her knowing. If she knew I did not need to get one when I did….

‘Nuf Said

What happens in Forums… Stays in Forums! ;)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Dam! Glad you got it working for now ,my luck it never would have come back on.I think you said you did have insurance on it .Are you going to get it replaced and just using it til the replacement phone comes in? Or are you going to hope everything is fine .

Ouch, I don't know how to swim so I would be stuck looking at my phone going to Davie Jone's locker. Do you have insurance on yours?

.. but it was in his pocket if it went to Davie Jone's locker so would he ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21