Memory - Droid Incredbile

deepfreez

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I could not find the answer to this after a search so here goes. When I use the "Running Services" widget, the bottom says the following:

40MB+0.00B in 45 Other 0.00B in 4

A. What do the numbers mean?
B. Should I be wary of letting them drop below a certain number?

I know the Android OS intuitively takes care of such things but i am concerned about the actual limit on memory before the phone begins to perform poorly. (I came from a Blackberry Storm so you can probably understand my concern here.) I have 41 apps currently downloaded with a total size of 42MB.

Also, I have had this phone for 3 days now and its freakin' sweet!!!

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This is what mine says:
Avail: 151MB+129MB in 31 Other: 59MB in 4

It means that I have 151MB in use plus 129MB additional cached for apps but can be actively freed. (Close apps don't really free the memory until the OS says it needs it so that they open quicker etc) with 31 apps/services running and or dormant. 59MB being used by services you can't close, like the phone app, calendar etc. Hope this explains it a bit.

As a side note, it informational only and is no real indication of how the phone will perform or is performing. Just let Android manage it and drop the BB mentality! Android does a very fine job making the phone run smoothly.

deepfreez

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is what mine says:
Avail: 151MB+129MB in 31 Other: 59MB in 4

It means that I have 151MB in use plus 129MB additional cached for apps but can be actively freed. (Close apps don't really free the memory until the OS says it needs it so that they open quicker etc) with 31 apps/services running and or dormant. 59MB being used by services you can't close, like the phone app, calendar etc. Hope this explains it a bit.

As a side note, it informational only and is no real indication of how the phone will perform or is performing. Just let Android manage it and drop the BB mentality! Android does a very fine job making the phone run smoothly.

Great! Thanks for the response. I am really not too concerned with it but I am curious as to how this beast works.

Note: I just checked in again for fun and it reads 136MB+0.00B in 37. Thanks again for the response.