questions regarding Bump Charging

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have been Bump Charging fairly regularly and am impressed with the results. However, Like many, I would ultimately like to have the full capacity charge after normally plugging it in like any phone.

Is there a point where the charge holds a memory where I will no longer have to bump charge?

Any confirmations that this could possible be handled with the next update?

Thanks on advance...

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You could try charging the phone with the phone powered off. Gets rid of the need for a bump charge.

Not in my experience. Doesn't matter whether the phone is on or off -- I get the orange light through 4-5 disconnect, reconnect cycles. The only benefit that turning the phone appears to have is that the second cycle will be shorter, because the phone has not been on since the charge cycle prematurely stopped. If I charge overnight with the phone on, the second charge takes about 25 minutes. If I charge overnight with the phone off, the second cycle takes about 8 minutes. (weirdly, whether the phone is on or off, the second cycle takes a while, the third takes only a few minutes, then the fourth takes longer than the third -- e.g., if the phone is on all night, it goes something like 25-5-10-3-2-1).

OP: I've been "bump" charging since I got this phone 5 weeks ago, and I still have to disconnect, reconnect 5-6 times before it is fully charged. It is not the battery -- it is a problem with the firmware that controls the charging cycle and not the battery (the phone cuts off the charge to prevent overcharging, but it is doing so prematurely, before the battery is actually charged).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know what you are saying when you charge even with phone is off ,and the light turns green , then you disconnect. After phones boots up and then turn back off and then hook back up to charge the light is already orange. I have done that a few times in a row . The most I repeat those steps at a time is 3 . I get about 17hrs on a charge depending on how much I use my phone and with no bumping tho the day .:)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Granted you need root, but for the people who turning the phone off and it still doesn't fully charge, you can delete your stats file for your battery and charge it and it pretty much eliminates this issue. Or did for me. I don't even have the full charge issue anymore. But I'm using an undervolted kernel and an extended battery plus re-calibrated stats file. YMMV.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Granted you need root, but for the people who turning the phone off and it still doesn't fully charge, you can delete your stats file for your battery and charge it and it pretty much eliminates this issue. Or did for me. I don't even have the full charge issue anymore. But I'm using an undervolted kernel and an extended battery plus re-calibrated stats file. YMMV.

I hope this update they are planning to release soon handles the charging issue. I am one of those a liiiiiiittle too nervous to mess with rooting and messing with system files.

Anyway to reset those files without rooting?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. My DInc is set for a charge this afternoon. Going to see if the 'bump' will 'work' for this charge. I'll shut it off, per usual, to charge it. Once I get the green light, I'll turn it on and read a couple emails, turn it back off, and throw it back on. Then I'll see if I get any more usage time out of it and report back.

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I never bump charge (in theory it's bad for the battery). I turn it off and charge it up. This gives me a 99% - 100% charge everytime.

Either way, I don't really find it a problem with the firmware. It's doing what it's doing for a reason.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I never bump charge (in theory it's bad for the battery). I turn it off and charge it up. This gives me a 99% - 100% charge everytime.

Either way, I don't really find it a problem with the firmware. It's doing what it's doing for a reason.

There is a problem with the firmware. If you have the phone plugged in while it is turned on and use it for navigation on your car or to listen to music (all while plugged in to keep it charged up) once the phone reaches 100% it will no longer continue to charge and as you use the phone for Navigation or listening to music it will use the battery for it's power (even though the phone is plugged in) and when you reach your destination and unplug your phone it could have run down to 50% battery by that time (depending on how long you were driving and if you were using Nav or just listening to Music). So now you are walking around with a half charged battery when you were expecting it to be fully charge becuase it was plugged in. How is that not a firmware problem?

Once the battery hits 100% the phone should run off of external power so the battery remains charged.

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site

do you find the battery quickly drops 10-12% within the first 20 minutes of being unplugged?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope this update they are planning to release soon handles the charging issue. I am one of those a liiiiiiittle too nervous to mess with rooting and messing with system files.

Anyway to reset those files without rooting?

No you have to be rooted, because the file you need to mess with is inside the /system directory which you need root access to get to unfortunately.

Mine with the new ROM and all the other stuff does the same thing, when I charge with it off through the computer or charge with it on with the wall charger.

do you find the battery quickly drops 10-12% within the first 20 minutes of being unplugged?

I found mine did this with the stock battery without the new kernel. With the new kernel so far I haven't had an issue with it. Mine has now been off the charger for about two hours and I'm still at 92% with moderate usage. (1750 battery undervolted kernel etc though)

There is a problem with the firmware. If you have the phone plugged in while it is turned on and use it for navigation on your car or to listen to music (all while plugged in to keep it charged up) once the phone reaches 100% it will no longer continue to charge and as you use the phone for Navigation or listening to music it will use the battery for it's power (even though the phone is plugged in) and when you reach your destination and unplug your phone it could have run down to 50% battery by that time (depending on how long you were driving and if you were using Nav or just listening to Music). So now you are walking around with a half charged battery when you were expecting it to be fully charge becuase it was plugged in. How is that not a firmware problem?

Once the battery hits 100% the phone should run off of external power so the battery remains charged.

This is exactly what's happening, for whatever reason. It has to be a firmware issue inside the phone, or possibly even a hardware deficiency. Who knows, hopefully they will fix this in coming version for the people who have this issue, but we will see. However I will say I haven't seen this and I use my navigation daily. Of course I never use my navigation for more than an hour at a time so maybe I just haven't noticed it? I'll keep my eyes open over the next few days for it now.

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I assume it is supposed to do this to prevent accidental overcharging or just ruining the life time of the battery. I think all of my phones have done this. I don't know much about how the system handles charging but how would you be able to bypass the battery and run off the charger? You would have to have it run through the battery. Verizon says in most of the manuals to charge battery only when needed to conserve long term use of that battery. Csr told me this as well

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I assume it is supposed to do this to prevent accidental overcharging or just ruining the life time of the battery. I think all of my phones have done this. I don't know much about how the system handles charging but how would you be able to bypass the battery and run off the charger? You would have to have it run through the battery. Verizon says in most of the manuals to charge battery only when needed to conserve long term use of that battery. Csr told me this as well

These type of batteries DON'T overcharge, the phone DOES have a firmware problem, that's all. :)

DustinF00#AC

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
These type of batteries DON'T overcharge, the phone DOES have a firmware problem, that's all. :)

I'm not convinced that the phone has a firmware problem; once you're at the tail end of the charge cycle you're applying less current to the battery.

Most of the phones need the battery inside to handle the spikes of current draw needed from the radio(s) when needed to receive/respond to cell broadcast or tx/rx data or handle wifi beacons.

The reason the bump charge is working so well is because there isn't anything drawing current from the battery while the phone is attempting to charge the battery.

So "we" might think there is a problem with firmware, but I believe "they" are playing it safe when charging so that they don't get caught in a loop.

jwalker87

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's the charging issue or not, but my biggest problem with the phone is I can't use the Google Navigation as a gps device like I planned. Either it just doesn't charge when the Navigation is up, or it burns battery faster than it charges it. Either way, I tried to have it running during a trip from CT to VA, and the phone died about 3/4 way through. Ridiculous. Hopefully it's some firmware mistake and will be fixed.

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's the charging issue or not, but my biggest problem with the phone is I can't use the Google Navigation as a gps device like I planned. Either it just doesn't charge when the Navigation is up, or it burns battery faster than it charges it. Either way, I tried to have it running during a trip from CT to VA, and the phone died about 3/4 way through. Ridiculous. Hopefully it's some firmware mistake and will be fixed.

After the battery is fully charged, it no longer uses power from the charger, like most phones do. So yes, using navigation burns battery faster than it charges it, therefore your battery runs out. (stinks, I know) :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
After the battery is fully charged, it no longer uses power from the charger, like most phones do. So yes, using navigation burns battery faster than it charges it, therefore your battery runs out. (stinks, I know) :)

Mine doesn't do this, you just have to make sure you have a 1 amp car charger because the phone can not charge as fast as you are using it with a .5 amp or smaller charger.