Android users should not get too attached to their phones UI?

FrankTheTank369#AC

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
According to all the rumors concerning Android 3.0 coming out later this year, Google is completely revamping the Android user interface.

A couple years ago when Android was young, Google encouraged phone manufactures to produce their own user interface such as HTC Sense and MotoBlur. Now that Google is now taking charge in the user interface of Android, there will no longer be any need for manufactures UI's.

A great reason why Android phones are starting to become fragmented (not all phones are updated to the latest Android OS) are because of both hardware limitations and the manufactures user interface incorporated into the phone. Android 3.0 supposedly will remove all manufacture UI's out of the phones and run only Android 3.0 if your phone has the minimal specs, which most versions of Android never required. This will keep the low end Android phones at only Android 2.1 and 2.2 and the higher ends moving on to Android 3.0.

Of course, these are all rumors, but they are being widely spread on multiple websites for discussion such as the tech giant, Engadget.

Here are a few sources I have found concerning this:

Android 3.0 Gingerbread getting revamped UI, Froyo living on for lower-end phones? -- Engadget

Android 3.0 Gingerbread details: 1280?760 resolution, 1Ghz minimum specs, mid-Oct. release ? Unwired View

Google May Nuke Custom UIs in Android 3.0

DailyTech - Android 3.0 "Gingerbread" Launches Q4, Will Kill Off OEM UI "Skins"

What are you're thoughts on this?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but I love sense personally and can see where manufacturer's will still offer their flavor of android on it's products just like back in the linux days of red hat, etc.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Good.. I'm tired of waiting 6-8 months for my SenseUI devices to get updated to 2.2 when the Google Experience phones have it now..

standardize Android, Google, or you'll go the way of old Microsoft Windows Mobile.

rmiles7721

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
A couple years ago when Android was young, Google encouraged phone manufactures to produce their own user interface such as HTC Sense and MotoBlur. Now that Google is now taking charge in the user interface of Android, there will no longer be any need for manufactures UI's.

There may not be a NEED for companies like HTC to create their interfaces but that doesn't mean that they will stop or that the carriers (the ones who really drive the process) will even want them to.

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
If they do eliminate the manufactures' UI's, then I would like the option to install it as an add-on if I want to. I have used the stock android but I like Android with HTC Sense and cannot imagine it without it.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I highly doubt we'll see a COMPLETELY changed UI. It will probably be more polished and offer more unification of design between screens, but I don't think it'll look totally different. Keeping it somewhat the same helps being recognized.

And besides, I like the way it looks now - the notification drawer really is awesome.

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
According to all the rumors concerning Android 3.0 coming out later this year, Google is completely revamping the Android user interface.

A great reason why Android phones are starting to become fragmented (not all phones are updated to the latest Android OS) are because of both hardware limitations and the manufactures user interface incorporated into the phone. Android 3.0 supposedly will remove all manufacture UI's out of the phones and run only Android 3.0 if your phone has the minimal specs, which most versions of Android never required. This will keep the low end Android phones at only Android 2.1 and 2.2 and the higher ends moving on to Android 3.0.

Of course, these are all rumors, but they are being widely spread on multiple websites for discussion such as the tech giant, Engadget.

Here are a few sources I have found concerning this:

Android 3.0 Gingerbread getting revamped UI, Froyo living on for lower-end phones? -- Engadget

Android 3.0 Gingerbread details: 1280?760 resolution, 1Ghz minimum specs, mid-Oct. release ? Unwired View

Google May Nuke Custom UIs in Android 3.0

DailyTech - Android 3.0 "Gingerbread" Launches Q4, Will Kill Off OEM UI "Skins"

What are you're thoughts on this?

These rumors were dismissed by Google. This was reported in a few places including engadget.

Android team's Morrill discounts Gingerbread rumors -- Engadget

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I definitely don't want to lose sense. I don't see why w lot of people don't like it but I love it. Like someone else said, at the most I would like to see the option to use a sense UI 3.0 or stock Android. Of course I personally would opt to use the sense option.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I know that Sence is built in to and integrated tightly to the kernel, but If the base UI is really being upgraded, perhaps the manufacturers can distinguish themselves with hardware sensitive widgets and apps that would Sence-a-fy or Blur-a-fy the UI. This would certainly speed up the “upgrade path” for all devices, and it would allow each manufacturer to pursue market distinction. From what I’ve been reading that’s what Moto did with the X, the “Blurish” elements are all just widgets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2