Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Default location services icon, can it be removed?

is there any way to remove the bulls-eye target icon from the dock? I've made the selection that its indicating, and i know that i made that decision... it seems redundant to continue to tell me that i'm sharing my location AND it takes up space that i want to use for other apps..
    Droid Incredible
    libuff's Apps on my Incredible

No trees were harmed in posting of this post, however many millions of electrons were significantly inconvenienced.

Yeah, interested in this, even if I have to root.

All my old VZW phones had that stupid thing too though.

It is probably some weird FCC requirement. Besides, can you imagine the uproar if people didn't know it was on and it was?
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)

you have to edit /system/framework/services.jar and set the width to zero. Talk to your favorite ROM cooker about it.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Default Re: location services icon, can it be removed?

I'm going to assume that's a root option.
    Droid Incredible
    libuff's Apps on my Incredible

No trees were harmed in posting of this post, however many millions of electrons were significantly inconvenienced.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    you have to edit /system/framework/services.jar and set the width to zero. Talk to your favorite ROM cooker about it.
    GPS is also a part of the E-911 system. All US cell phones for the last, I don't remember how many, years have had GPS in them for 911 location.

Even if you turn GPS off it will still activate for 911, that's why the icon is there, so people can tell if their GPS is on or not.

If you want it gone, Im a guessing gbhill has the answer.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

I don't think people want to turn it off, they just don't want the icon shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Libuff View Post
    I'm going to assume that's a root option.
    Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    GPS is also a part of the E-911 system. All US cell phones for the last, I don't remember how many, years have had GPS in them for 911 location.

Even if you turn GPS off it will still activate for 911, that's why the icon is there, so people can tell if their GPS is on or not.

If you want it gone, Im a guessing gbhill has the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8skanj View Post
    I don't think people want to turn it off, they just don't want the icon shown.
    Correct, correct, and correct lol. I hate that icon myself
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Correct, correct, and correct lol. I hate that icon myself
    Darn those Emergency Workers and their need to know where you are even if you don't, and Darn those attorneys that made them show the Icon!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

so has anyone been able to delete the notification icon yet? its getting on my nerve and i refuse to flash a sense rom. i rather customize my phone myself, yes im rooted and yes i flash roms but i want to know how can i delete that notification icon or hide it.

brb
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, One+, Venue Pro 8 & Nook HD+
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

Thx sir. Will try that once I get to work.

Hey howardmat thx for the site. But I'm not deodexed. How can I deodex my rooted stock incredible?