Can I obtain/clear the data off of an Incredible with a broken screen?

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've got an Incredible with a shattered screen. It powers on and the 4 permanent buttons at the bottom of the screen still generate tactile feedback. However, nothing displays on the screen. When I plug it into my PC's USB port, my PC recognizes it, but the drives on it appear empty. Is there a way to either get my data off of it or, at the very least, clear all of the data that is on it?

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Thankfully, I finally got my replacement Incredible yesterday. It took a month due to the back-order. I can't remember all the apps I had on there, though that really isn't that important. I just want to get my photos off of it and then clear all of my personal data so I can throw it up on eBay.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you had Astro File Manager all you apps are saved to your SD Card(if you backed them up),and did you save all pic to internal memory or SD Card,if on the card just transfer card to new phone.

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I just checked my SD card and none of my photos are there. I must not have set it up to save them to it. I'm really surprised that I can't see anything in the folders when I plug the phone into my computer. Also, I thought that maybe I could get a video composite cable for the video out and see the screen that way, but from what I've read, it looks like you first have to select an option on the phone's screen before it will generate an image on the external display. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't control it without the touch screen working.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I suppose if you had the cable that lets you hook your Inc up to a TV you could use that. You may not be willing to spend the money and time to do this though.

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I suppose if you had the cable that lets you hook your Inc up to a TV you could use that. You may not be willing to spend the money and time to do this though.

I'm willing to purchase that cable, especially since I have a new Incredible now, I could use it on that one as well. However, in order to get the video out to work, don't you have to enable it on the phone first?

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: I got the micro USB to RCA cable from Verizon on Friday. Much to my complete shock, not only did the video out actually work great on my damaged phone, the touch screen responded perfectly! As it has been since I shattered the screen, nothing at all displays on the phone's screen itself. Somehow, the only part that got shattered was the display layer itself and the outside touch screen layer was completely undamaged. I don't know how, but that's the way it is. I will be throwing it up on eBay soon and I'll find out how much people are willing to pay for a phone in this condition.

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Astro file manager

I'm actually trying to figure that out right now. I can't seem to find where the photos are stored. I know they're not on the SD card, because there was no SD card in it at the time I was browsing the photos on my TV, so I'm trying to figure that out right now.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
look in emmc/dcim.

Open astro, click on the "up" button. Click on 'DCIM' folder. You should see '100MEDIA' etc in there. That's your pictures and video you have taken.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So you are saying Verizon or Asurion are replacing your phone? Or did you simply buy another phone? If it is being replaced by Asurion due to an insurance claim, they may be blacklisting it as if it were lost or stolen.

Very interesting that they told you to do what you want with it. Good luck with the new one! Hope you dont have same luck with ita! :)

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I did not have insurance on it, only the extended warranty, so Asurion wasn't involved. I worked with someone from Verizon Executive Relations. Nicest person from Verizon I've ever spoken with.