Is there any reason to accept the update if you're already rooted?

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my DINC and have the wifi hotspot which I've used for free. I don't really care about 720p, so is there any reason for me to accept the OTA update? Does it improve performance in any way?

iJason#WN

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I did the manual update yesterday and my phone seems to be running better. Haven't run into any issues yet and they have a root out for it already.

podi#AC

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I rooted my DINC and have the wifi hotspot which I've used for free. I don't really care about 720p, so is there any reason for me to accept the OTA update? Does it improve performance in any way?

I was thinking about rooting my phone to get the wifi hotspot for free. I give them plenty of money as it is...I thought i remember seeing a rom that had the 720p video recording as well....how does the hotspot work? Any problems with it?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Be careful using this method. Several devs have noted not to do this yet. In one of the posts over there.

READ ME

Everyone should know that if you apply this update and VZW changes the radio in the official then you probably won't be able to upgrade your radio to it.

Also if you do this you will not be able to revert back to stock until a new RUU is released, and the problem with a new RUU is that they may close all known root methods. If you try with any current RUU's you will get a "Main version is older" error.

The radio is very good and 720p will work but everyone should know this might prevent future radio updates.

Please update your original post with this information.

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about rooting my phone to get the wifi hotspot for free. I give them plenty of money as it is...I thought i remember seeing a rom that had the 720p video recording as well....how does the hotspot work? Any problems with it?

I took it on a 10 day road trip to the east coast two weeks ago with my wife's wifi only iPad and it was great. It was great streaming movies for the kids while we were driving on freeway with netflix Speeds were good depending on the city and I had no issues what so ever.

tucker301

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Free or Pay?

I rooted mine using the Unrevoked3 method, and I have wifi working for free.

My question is, if I install the OTA update, will I still have free wifi, or will I have to give Verizon $20/month?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888