Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My verizon

Just got the app and so far I've used 1.6 gigs of data. It's crazy when I had my blackberry i used approx 400 megs so i guess all the web surfing I do adds up.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Yes web surfing, app downloads, and any app that uses the actual network instead of Wifi will use up data pretty quickly.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I know what you mean. I actually had the data on my Treo turned off completely because it was such a PITA. Having a device that is actually usefull will indeed drive usage!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    7,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Lol yeah I noticed a big jump in my data use compared to my blackberry to . A big difference but still within plan

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

You will have to watch the data usage when they switch to 'limited' data perhaps next month ( http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...red-data-plans ). It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I am on a *large* corporate plan so I don't think it will affect me much, but not sure for others.

I was under the impression that those with unlimited data will remain unlimited and new customers/new plans with be limited.
    I thought I loved my Q :o ....... I think I love my curve ...... I hope I'll love my Incredible!

I'm pretty sure the current customers who have unlimited web and data will get to keep it, that's how at&t did it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyseed View Post
    Just got the app and so far I've used 1.6 gigs of data. It's crazy when I had my blackberry i used approx 400 megs so i guess all the web surfing I do adds up.
    RIM compresses your dowloaded information on a ratio of 5:1 or 6:1. It also compresses your outgoing info too, but not until it hits the BIS. Therefore, it will have more usage via Verizon's usage meter.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Ya android devices use way more data for sure, I use more now than when I had my Storm. I don't regret it though, Android OS is better and the devices are more powerful than BlackBerry's.

I downloaded this and the red icon is constantly on the notification bar....any way to get rid of it?? I'm about to just uninstall the app....

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

Considering I came from a feature phone (on Verizon, anyways; an iPhone on AT&T) I was shocked.

Cheers for the truly unlimited data plan!

Quote Originally Posted by allisonv7 View Post
    I downloaded this and the red icon is constantly on the notification bar....any way to get rid of it?? I'm about to just uninstall the app....
    Mine was there until I pulled the bar down and hit the clear button (top right). It's the only notification that's hung around even after opening the app.

After you clear it once, it seems to stay gone.
    Previous phones: BlackBerry Storm 1, Droid Incredible - RIP May 24, 2011
    Current phone: HTC Thunderbolt
    Dropbox - free secure online storage. Sign up here and get a 250MB bonus.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by bark8015 View Post
    Mine was there until I pulled the bar down and hit the clear button (top right). It's the only notification that's hung around even after opening the app.

After you clear it once, it seems to stay gone.

Great! That's the only time that an application had done that for me too .... I hadn't even noticed the clear button yet - Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allisonv7 View Post
    Great! That's the only time that an application had done that for me too .... I hadn't even noticed the clear button yet - Thanks!
    I had my Inc for nearly a month before I saw that button. It's convenient if you've downloaded multiple apps/updates from the market, and you don't want to launch each one immediately after installing.

Default Re: My verizon

RIM compresses their data that's one of the reasons why data apps like web browsing or YouTube sucks on BB
    DROID!!!

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Default Re: My verizon

I'm on a two week road trip. I steamed slacker for about 8 hours and it says I've only used 255mb. How often Does the data usage update?

Sent from my phone, indeed!
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

From what I've seen, it usually updates at the end of the day; so the next day you'll get the previous day's usage.

I've seen up to a 48 hour delay in data updates, but that was when I had the Storm. Haven't been tracking it as closely since I mostly use wifi now.

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

Wish there was a way to change the data usage display from KB to MB
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Global Posts
    7,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    If you mean to change it from KB to MB from my verizon ,yeah from my verizon home screen click on data use tab>view usage> scroll down near bottom, and you will see where you can click on "view data use in MB's"

ROM
    BAMF Rezound ICS v0.6

Yeah, no I meant in the MyVerizon app

I knew about that on the web page
    ~Paul
    HTC ReZound
    HP Touchpad w/ CM7 Alpha 3
    Vignette (The BEST camera app) review

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    this really annoys me as well.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

I'd rather it show GB, or at least be user selectable. I'm currently using NetCounter, which is near real time, has user configurable day of month reset, and tracks WiFi usage. Works pretty good for me, no widget though, and I selected it to reset the same day of my billing cycle. No affiliation other than a satisfied user.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I use about 3.5 gb/month. The bulk of that is downloading daily podcasts via Google Listen over 3g. No wifi where I work. Once they put caps in place, I'll need to set GL to download only over wifi.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.