After Official Froyo OTA......

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
After I download the official 2.2 update whenever Verizon rolls it out, will I have to reconfigure my home screens, re-download apps and reconfigure app settings?

Fyi I am not rooted

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yup. It's gonna completely wipe your phone. Which sucks if you have any apps that arent in the market anymore like Shapewriter. You will have to redownload apps so if I were you i'd download AppBrain if you don't have it already and you wont have to worry about a thing. All of your paid apps can be downloaded with no problem either, don't worry about that.

I don't know if it's possible for you to do but try and take a picture of each of your homescreens just in case you're worried about forgetting how your homescreens are set up

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You're gonna have a brand new phone basically. Everything you did when you first got the phone you gotta do again. It's annoying but just make sure you sync EVERYTHING before you upgrade. Also I STRONGLY recommend getting AppBrain BEFORE you upgrade if you dont already have it. Install AppBrain and set up an online account. Then go back to the app on ur phone and sync your apps to your online account. It'll sync ALL of your apps. After you upgrade to 2.2, go back online and just go one by one and install the apps again.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Acording to what I was reading on XDA, the VZW Official OTA should not wipe out apps or data on the phone. The reason the leak does is because you have to root, flash/reset back to stock, unroot, apply the leaked 720p/radio update, re-root, flash the 2.2 leak. It's the flash back to stock that kills the apps and data. The Real OTA (for lack of a better term) should not do this if you are already stock.

danman7

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Real OTA (for lack of a better term) should not do this if you are already stock.

That's kind of what I figured. I couldn't imagine VZW would push something out that would completely reset everyone's phones. If they did, I wouldn't want to be on the help desk that week!

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That's kind of what I figured. I couldn't imagine VZW would push something out that would completely reset everyone's phones. If they did, I wouldn't want to be on the help desk that week!

Yeah, it isn't going to make everyone re-download crap and set things up again. In fact, there was talk about trying to make the leaked Froyo version into an update package, to avoid losing everything. I don't think it worked out, though.

Either way, I'm lovin' me some Froyo!

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Cant you backup apps to your sd card using something? I think I have an app that does that, but Im not sure.

My Backup Pro if you're unrooted, Titanium Backup if you are.

Your screens are gone unless you're rooted and can use Titanium Backup...make sure that it backs up the Desktop HTC...the widgets are gone period and will have to be reset on your screens.

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
One annoying thing with FroYo is that every time you connect to your computer it prompts you to install some type of Verizon/HTC Sync software and launches your web browser to a Verizon site...

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I am NOT thinking this is the final release that is going out to Verizon customers... There is NO way that Gmail would put a 0 in every sent message, and someone expect a user to Root his device to go back to 2.2 (Instead of 2.2.1) of Gmail...

Also, All Mail in Gmail was going crazy this morning when I went to that label. Gmail is the bread and butter of Android... THIS is not the final release.

AND, my friend who upgraded there Eris OTA from 1.6 to 2.1 had her system completely wiped by the update (Except of course what was on the SD card), so do not assume your device won't be wiped. I feel MORE confident that it will be, because there will be app incompatibilities. :(

Just my 2 cents... Other than the gmail mess, and a possible weird battery thing going on, and Sense not going landscape (Back to LauncherPro), I'm liking Froyo...

:)

sms

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I am NOT thinking this is the final release that is going out to Verizon customers... There is NO way that Gmail would put a 0 in every sent message, and someone expect a user to Root his device to go back to 2.2 (Instead of 2.2.1) of Gmail...

Also, All Mail in Gmail was going crazy this morning when I went to that label. Gmail is the bread and butter of Android... THIS is not the final release.

AND, my friend who upgraded there Eris OTA from 1.6 to 2.1 had her system completely wiped by the update (Except of course what was on the SD card), so do not assume your device won't be wiped. I feel MORE confident that it will be, because there will be app incompatibilities. :(

Just my 2 cents... Other than the gmail mess, and a possible weird battery thing going on, and Sense not going landscape (Back to LauncherPro), I'm liking Froyo...

sms

I'm of the impression that "leaks" are actually betas or release candidates that those of us living on the frontier run to help the OEM developers get the bugs out of their product.

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm of the impression that "leaks" are actually betas or release candidates that those of us living on the frontier run to help the OEM developers get the bugs out of their product.

Well, this 'leak' was talked about like it was what Verizon was going to be releasing.... Next week. Not gonna happen with this one. :)

But thats fine, I'm certainly not complaining, it was fun doing everything I did to upgrade to 2.2, I haven't done any of this since my Storm 2. :)

Either way, I still think the Incredible is one of THE best phones released. :)

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, this 'leak' was talked about like it was what Verizon was going to be releasing.... Next week. Not gonna happen with this one. :)

But thats fine, I'm certainly not complaining, it was fun doing everything I did to upgrade to 2.2, I haven't done any of this since my Storm 2. :)

Either way, I still think the Incredible is one of THE best phones released. :)

Ahh...you scoured Crackberry daily looking for hybrids too, hoping to fix the unfixable...

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ahh...you scoured Crackberry daily looking for hybrids too, hoping to fix the unfixable...

Yes, YES I DID... :) But, for years, and about 7 or 8 different blackberries. I was NEVER quite happy with RIM's phones...

I actually said to one of the guys that works for me, the Incredible maybe the first phone I actually keep for my 2 year contract, I think it is THAT good. :)

The new DroidX, the Evo and the Streak, are just TOO big.

scooz16

May 4, 2010
Visit site
you guys saying that you will have to re-do everything are not smart.

There is no way verizon would make everyone re-do everything on their phone. Nightmare.

I'm sure it will be just like any other update. You DL, it runs behind the scenes and once you restart almost everything is EXACTLY the same.

Viper

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

There is no way verizon would make everyone re-do everything on their phone. Nightmare.

my friend who upgraded there Eris OTA from 1.6 to 2.1 had her system completely wiped by the update

@scooz are you blind? If they did it to the Eris, it stands to reason they would do it to the Dinc if they had to.

And have more respect for people. Your little "not smart" comment was completely unnecessary.

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure it will be just like any other update. You DL, it runs behind the scenes and once you restart almost everything is EXACTLY the same.

Yeah, sorry Scooz, she was PISSED that the OTA wiped her Eris... Luckily when I setup her phone initially I created a google account for her, and all her contacts and such were recoverd, but she had to redo all her links to facebook, as well as install ALL her apps. She was NOT please, and said she will NEVER update her phone again....

So, I think with google going the way of a 'smarter' market, you'll see that yeah, it wipes your phone but no big deal to click to reinstall your apps, etc...

Lets face it, most people that get smart phones, run the 2 years and upgrade. In 2 years, you'll after this 2.2 release, MAYBE see a BIG release once a year...

No big deal... When I installed the 2.2 yesterday, I wiped the phone, and I was back in business in no time. No biggie. Cleaned up all the apps, that I HAD but didn't use, and if I paid for them, they were right there to reinstall which, over the wireless only took a little bit to reinstall...

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you keep your meatwrapper shut until you have something useful to say.

No big deal... I understand his frustation, but if you've ever run a linux system? I can't remember one time I did an MAJOR upgrade without having to reinstall the OS and all its apps... If you just do updates and keep the kernel at its base, no big deal, but major upgrade, pretty much wipe life clean...

:cool: Is cool, is cool....

sms

iamtone

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site

sms

the 0 in the gmail has been fixed now gmail 2.2.1 works fine in the new leaked OTA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21