Anti-Virus app might be necessary afterall!

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All this talk about not needing an anti-virus program might be incorrect! I've had one for some time just in case and I'm glad I do! Please read article.

Android wallpaper app that steals your data was downloaded by millions | VentureBeat

This isn't a virus. This is malicious software that you gave access to when you installed it and agreed to let it access your personal information. This is why it is key to read the install warnings before clicking yes, so that you know what it is going to access. The anti virus is still worthless.

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
My point was that bad stuff can be included in downloaded apps! There not all innocuous. An anti-virus app might do some good!

justinandroid

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't even know if I would go so far as to classify this as malicious software. The developer clearly states his reason for the information gathered was for favorite identification. i.e. the app needed some sort of unique data in order for users to be able to access their "favorite" wallpaper. I would bet there are few apps out there that don't do something similar.
The only thing that stands out is why the app would need the VM number from the phone...that doesn't make sense. But it is what it is.

I am fairly sure AV programs right now would not have caught the behavior above as would not considered a "virus"...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think in the case the OP mentioned in their post is ,,what would help just as much as READ what the app does and accesses before you finish installing it and if you see something odd then dont install it , lol , kinda a common sense approach that gets overlooked by lots. Yes even by me but I will be more careful now :)

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
By the time any of those worthless antivirus programs detects a virus in one of the apps, Google would have used their "Kill switch" to remove it from your phone. All those antirus apps do is slow your phone down.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Someone explain to me why Android, built on Linux with a proprietary skin, needs antivirus software when the desktop Linux distributions do not.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Someone explain to me why Android, built on Linux with a proprietary skin, needs antivirus software when the desktop Linux distributions do not.

The ONLY thing I can think of is if you recieve an email with an attachment that has a virus and you connect your phone to your PC...but even that is a strech. Plus, since the phones are locked out of root, there is very little damage, if any, it could do.

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
the only thing I can think of that may make a android "anti-virus" useful is if it worked more as an application detector. If an application is known to be malicious, the software will look for it and warn you. That may be more helpful for everyday users that do not read the forums and blogs like us.

I think I just got an idea for an Android app!

The annoying thing about the current anti virus programs is that they keep warning me for applications attempting to access root, which is more of a bother since my inc is rooted and certain apps have been given that permission.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Anti Virus programs are useless.

For your phone...at this point, I'd say you're correct. But since smartphones are THE up and coming technology, I'd say that the target is proving more lucrative to those who get their jollies off causing mayhem.

For your home computer...it's like unprotected sex out there. I wouldn't touch the internet without anti virus protection.

drclayton

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised to hear all the negatives about anti-virus programs.
i was seriously expecting everyone to say "yeah Lookout is a must have...it saves my phones life!"
I have always heard those comments and wondered what the point of antivirus would be if i am downloading from the app market. :\

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
About everytime I come to this webste I learn more and more!! :D I already learned alot. I only been a member 2 months .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci