Help - a Fail!!

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
the round red camera eyeball cover to my DInc just came off - it turns out it was held in place by just GLUE. I guess this is what I get for getting a made-in-China htc phone, but still I expected better construction than glue.

I got some loctite epoxy and toothpicked some more glue over where the old glue failed and squeezed it back on after alcohol swabbing and polishing the glass the best I could on each side. WTF??!!

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Not to be the bearer of bad news here, but thats not glue, its double sided tape.

As to why they used it, I don't know. I'm sure there are better ways of attaching it. The reason I know its tape is because i've had mine off to remove some debris that found its way it. If yours is glued, hopefully all the way around, because you may not be able to get debris out. It sounds like you where lucky as well that the solvent didn't attack something and leave a white film on the lens or something.

I also have used a similar tape at work for other applications. Its very sticky/super thin and usually not easily removed, but this stuff may not be of the same quality. You would probably be suprised that a lot of smartphones use this same type of tape to hold other things on like the speaker grills...etc.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The back cover helps keep the camera "cover" in place along with the tape. It is designed to be removable to clean it and/or replace it if it gets damaged. It is better than having the actual camera lens sitting out in the open to get broken/scratched or damaged which would be a lot more expensive to replace.

You must have had the back cover off for it to have come loose.

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If it was double-sided tape, that's even more disgraceful, but using the epoxy was very dangerous - the stringy glue almost marred the glassed circle. It seems relatively easy to engineer a snap closure to keep the lens "cap" in place - what lazy & poor designmanship.

Everyone should beware of this design flaw & be careful with your round red lens eye.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The back cover helps keep the camera "cover" in place along with the tape. It is designed to be removable to clean it and/or replace it if it gets damaged. It is better than having the actual camera lens sitting out in the open to get broken/scratched or damaged which would be a lot more expensive to replace.

You must have had the back cover off for it to have come loose.

are you saying the lens glass can be replaced?

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like an even better reason to get an extended battery... for the new cover

Sent from my incredible using Tapatalk

You just said what I was thinking after reading this thread. The 2150mAh keeps the lens under the battery door so it never touches another surface. If you're curious, check out the pics of my phone on my signature.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If it was double-sided tape, that's even more disgraceful, but using the epoxy was very dangerous - the stringy glue almost marred the glassed circle. It seems relatively easy to engineer a snap closure to keep the lens "cap" in place - what lazy & poor designmanship.

Everyone should beware of this design flaw & be careful with your round red lens eye.

Like I said, you would be suprised of where they use this stuff. For the most part, if its the good 3m stuff, it holds as good as anything and has the added benefit of being removeable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800