Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sharkie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Low on Space Warning

Hey guys so I've had my Droid Incredible for about a month now and just the past couple of days I'll get a notification that won't go away. It says: "Low on space. Phone storage space is getting low."

I've noticed that whenever this comes up, I do not get emails and other things on my phone. I've deleted all the apps I don't use anymore and maybe still have about 7 or 8 apps, at most, on the phone. I've also gone through and cleared my browser cache and my old texts. What else can I do? This is really bothering me, as I love the phone but this low space thing is getting really annoying.

Also, I know it is not my SD card or internal storage as they both have at least a couple gigs free and my application memory is also very high.

Please help!

Thanks guys.

I am having the same problem and all Verizon could come up with is to wipe the phone and start over which I did this morning. We will see if that helps going forward.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalprinter View Post
    I am having the same problem and all Verizon could come up with is to wipe the phone and start over which I did this morning. We will see if that helps going forward.
    That's pretty much the answer. There's a mega thread on the subject here on the first page.

Yes, check that thread. Essentially, change the number days your email syncs and clear it out regularly. Also consider using another email app like K-9 or mail droid.

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpfarrah View Post
    Yes, check that thread. Essentially, change the number days your email syncs and clear it out regularly. Also consider using another email app like K-9 or mail droid.
    This was my first thought too, but I think the OP isn't doing mail. Not sure what would be the cause with no mail.

No, he is doing mail -- he said he doesn't get emails after getting the low on space warning.

OP: Set Mail to not download attachments automatically and only sync 30 days of messages.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

When you guys say change my email settings are u referring to the gmail app or the mail client? For my email client I put it to only keep 3 days of mail, check for mail every 15 min, and have a 50kb limit. I can't figure out how to do this for the gmail app.

Also, if I want to do a system wipe, via settings > SD card and storage > reset, how can I first back up my contacts etc.

Thanks for the help guys, please let me know what I should do.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
    When you guys say change my email settings are u referring to the gmail app or the mail client? For my email client I put it to only keep 3 days of mail, check for mail every 15 min, and have a 50kb limit. I can't figure out how to do this for the gmail app.

Also, if I want to do a system wipe, via settings > SD card and storage > reset, how can I first back up my contacts etc.

Thanks for the help guys, please let me know what I should do.
    If you're still on 2.1, I think the setting you're looking for is menu>settings>privacy>system reset.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by douger View Post
    If you're still on 2.1, I think the setting you're looking for is menu>settings>privacy>system reset.
    Ok thank you. Yes I am on 2.1. Based on what I read in the other thread, this seems to be my only option. My only question is how can I back up my stuff (contacts, etc) before I do a system reset??

Thanks

Gmail contacts are always backed up.

What other mail systems are you using? Yahoo, pop through your ISP, Exchange?

How these contacts are handled varies, and may affect how you need to back up your stuff.
    Previous phones: BlackBerry Storm 1, Droid Incredible - RIP May 24, 2011
    Current phone: HTC Thunderbolt
    Dropbox - free secure online storage. Sign up here and get a 250MB bonus.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by bark8015 View Post
    Gmail contacts are always backed up.

What other mail systems are you using? Yahoo, pop through your ISP, Exchange?

How these contacts are handled varies, and may affect how you need to back up your stuff.
    I don't care about the mail client contacts, I'm mainly concerned with backing up my phone contacts. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks.

Your gmail contacts ARE your phone contacts. Check your contacts list by logging in to .

If everything you want to save is already there, it will be re-synched when you set your phone back up.

Clear the cache in a few applications and the problem should be fixed. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> (menu button) -> Sort by size. Just click a few of the largest apps and hit "Clear cache" to free up space until the warning disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybalagna View Post
    Clear the cache in a few applications and the problem should be fixed. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> (menu button) -> Sort by size. Just click a few of the largest apps and hit "Clear cache" to free up space until the warning disappears.
    If he's (or possibly she's) lucky, that might fix it.

But I'm afraid that's really only going to postpone the inevitable. I'd backup everything you're not willing to lose, just to be safe. I was able to get by with the cache clearing for about 2-3 weeks before I had to factory reset mine.

I'm fairly certain the problem on mine was expedited by having both a pop account and an Exchange account managed by the same HTC mail client. I now use Gmail to manage my pop account and the HTC client only manages my Exchange account. (To those who've experienced this already, I've already tried K-9, and with the weird Exchange setup I have at work, it won't configure for me).

But I'm afraid that's really only going to postpone the inevitable. I'd backup everything you're not willing to lose, just to be safe. I was able to get by with the cache clearing for about 2-3 weeks before I had to factory reset mine.

I'm fairly certain the problem on mine was expedited by having both a pop account and an Exchange account managed by the same HTC mail client. I now use Gmail to manage my pop account and the HTC client only manages my Exchange account. (To those who've experienced this already, I've already tried K-9, and with the weird Exchange setup I have at work, it won't configure for me).
    Ah. I only use Gmail, so clearing the cache has worked fine for me. I practically live through my phone, have had it since launch day and haven't had to factory reset. I can see how that HTC Mail bug might have gotten to yours though with two accounts. Hopefully the OP has my luck and not yours because I would personally hate resetting my phone.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

How do u go about backing everything up?? I tries to clear the cache of the larger apps but there was no cache to clear, so my only option is a factory reset.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Your gmail contacts ARE your phone contacts. Check your contacts list by logging in to .

If everything you want to save is already there, it will be re-synched when you set your phone back up.
    Ok, so I just checked my contacts list on my gmail account and none of my phone contacts are in there. How can I get them to sync up to my gmail account?

Or, should I just use the Verizon back-up assistant to back them up to the clouds, then do a system reset and re-sync all the contacts from there.

Thanks for all the help guys!

How do u go about backing everything up?? I tries to clear the cache of the larger apps but there was no cache to clear, so my only option is a factory reset.
    What I did:

Create 2 folders on your PC desktop. Name one "Phone Mem" and the other "MicroSD"

Connect to a PC with your USB cable, enable mass storage (connect as a hard/flash drive), and copy the contents of each storage location to the corresponding folder you created.

Something to keep in mind. The factory wipe won't touch your SD card. But under Settings | SD card & phone storage there is an option to reformat the SD card. Once you're confident in your data backup, this isn't a bad idea.

Ok, so I just checked my contacts list on my gmail account and none of my phone contacts are in there. How can I get them to sync up to my gmail account?

Or, should I just use the Verizon back-up assistant to back them up to the clouds, then do a system reset and re-sync all the contacts from there.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Sorry, my mistake. All of my phone contacts are listed in my GMail. I don't remember ever migrating them separately, but it may have been when I first set up my Gmail account on my BB Storm, and they just stayed there.

Yes, the VZW backup assistant would be your friend in this case. Since you're using a smartphone, I will assume you also have a VZW online management account. You should be able to check on the VZW site under your services to make sure your phone book is backed up completely.

This thread may help if you haven't read it yet. http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...tting-low.html
    And I have a post on page 23 (my 2nd post on that page) that lists what to expect during the reset.

Good luck.

(Hopefully these links work for you. It's not working for me right now and I've tried copying it about 5 different ways)
    Last edited by bark8015; 08-05-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: SD card formatting info
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Thanks for all the help guys, I just reset the whole phone and everything seems to be okay. My contacts storage is at 35mb which is the only iffy thing that I have seen thus far.

Thanks again for all the help

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

My Backup Pro...unless you're rooted, in which case you want to use Titanium Backup.

Mostly either one will backup your data and apps...home screen customizations and most of your system settings will have to be redone.

On my rooted Incredible I was able to resolve this with ADB:

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/data/com.htc.android.mail/app_mail
    rm *

I suspect this directory is wiped during a system reset, so this approach just allows all the other phone apps and settings to remain unchanged. After performing the above commands, my Mail size (as reported in settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Mail) went from 112MB to 2MB. All of my Mail Accounts and settings remained intact through this process , but downloaded mail was wiped out. Since I don't delete from server, my mail from today just downloaded again on the next sync.
    Thanked by:
    duchesslynne likes this.

Default Re: Low on Space Warning

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    On my rooted Incredible I was able to resolve this with ADB:

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/data/com.htc.android.mail/app_mail
    rm *

I suspect this directory is wiped during a system reset, so this approach just allows all the other phone apps and settings to remain unchanged. After performing the above commands, my Mail size (as reported in settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Mail) went from 112MB to 2MB. All of my Mail Accounts and settings remained intact through this process , but downloaded mail was wiped out. Since I don't delete from server, my mail from today just downloaded again on the next sync.
    Ah, my phone is so happy now! 94MB available! I so did not want to wipe my phone (not that I haven't done it multiple times to put new ROMs on, but still!).

Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm.

DuchessLynne