1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Picture Backup - Cloud Backup

I've been looking and haven't found anything, so I thought I would ask the community for advice.

As cameras on smartphones get better and better, we are using them a lot more. I'm actually taking pictures that I would hate to lose. Before it was just funny stuff that I would MMS to my friends. Now I'm taking valuable pictures of my kids, etc... that would be a heart breaker if I lost them.

Just like the online backup services have (Carboninte, Mozy, iDrive, etc..) done for PC's, I would love to see for smartphones. Doesn't this seem like a natural progression? I'm sure people are also creating docs and spreadsheets they would like automatically synced to the cloud.

I understand you can do the 1990's thing and hook it up to your PC and copy the pictures over, or eject your SD card and copy/paste. But I want a hands off type approach. I want to take pictures, then every night at 2am (via WiFi only) have my pictures/docs synced (new pictures or changed docs) to an online backup service of my choice, or host it myself via FTP etc...

What are your thoughts? Has this been done already?

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

belogical: I use DropBox, the link is below in my signature. A brief explanation how it works...

You have a Dropbox folder on your computer which automatically syncs with cloud based backup. Anything in that folder is backed up. You also have a Dropbox App which you can access anything that is synced into that folder. From the Dropbox App you can also upload files to the cloud based syncing.

An option is to get AndroZip, to zip all your pictures you take into a zip file, and then upload into DropBox. Either way, I hope its what you're looking for.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can also upload/download the files you synced to the cloud from any internet connected computer as well.

Dropbox will resize your photos. I stopped using it for that reason alone.
    Photobucket has a free app. it also has a setting to upload photos automatically as soon as they're taken. My girlfriend likes that feature a lot. I believe they offer premium plans for more storage as well. I believe you can also download multiple photos in one zip folder for archiving if you need to free up space.
    I use Andftp and my own domain. I have a specific directory on my hosting just for camera photos. Then I set my local directory as the camera's default folder. When I open the app i just click connect > menu > select all > upload.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by cm40 View Post
    Dropbox will resize your photos. I stopped using it for that reason alone.
    Photobucket has a free app. it also has a setting to upload photos automatically as soon as they're taken. My girlfriend likes that feature a lot. I believe they offer premium plans for more storage as well. I believe you can also download multiple photos in one zip folder for archiving if you need to free up space.
    I use Andftp and my own domain. I have a specific directory on my hosting just for camera photos. Then I set my local directory as the camera's default folder. When I open the app i just click connect > menu > select all > upload.
    Ahhhh, did not know that. Never really downloaded any photos since they are just there as backup. Not able to test it over here at work, since the firewall blocks it. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

MiQ? perhaps? would do it?

Carbonite is developing an android app...they have one for the BB already.

Here's the thread regarding the dropbox app:

Some people say you can use the pixelpipe app to upload to dropbox without altering the images.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Some people say you can use the pixelpipe app to upload to dropbox without altering the images.
    Ah, from my quick skim (sorry) of the dropbox forum, it seems as though the problem is uploading individual pictures to the phone. I wonder if you were to use AndroZip to zip the files prior to uploading to DropBox via the app would work in terms of it resizing your photos? You would just be uploading a ZIP file instead of the actual photos.

You could use the default Froyo Gallery APK and upload the photos straight to a drop box album in Picasa.

One of the Admins just posted a link to the Gallery APK in the Applications Forum

This is what I do to make sure that I do not lose my pictures, after I take a set of photos I share them with Picasa to make sure they are backed up immediately.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

it looks like carbonite will just be a viewer utility, to interact with your account.

mIQ on the other hand is incredible! does exactly what I need, and automatically! simply awesome!

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyua9 View Post
    belogical: I use DropBox, the link is below in my signature. A brief explanation how it works...

You have a Dropbox folder on your computer which automatically syncs with cloud based backup. Anything in that folder is backed up. You also have a Dropbox App which you can access anything that is synced into that folder. From the Dropbox App you can also upload files to the cloud based syncing.

An option is to get AndroZip, to zip all your pictures you take into a zip file, and then upload into DropBox. Either way, I hope its what you're looking for.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can also upload/download the files you synced to the cloud from any internet connected computer as well.
    I agree, Drop Box is a fantastic app and you can access it from your Android device or your computer. And it's FREE!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by JTDavis View Post
    I agree, Drop Box is a fantastic app and you can access it from your Android device or your computer. And it's FREE!
    Have you seen the mIQ dashboard? This this is pretty amazing.

Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by belogical View Post
    Have you seen the mIQ dashboard? This this is pretty amazing.

I used miQ when it wash daswhire for winmobile....great app/ service. Just never felt right that they sold it or developr it now for best buy.

I know this is an old thread, but it's the closest to the topic related.

pixelpipe is an app I'm also looking at.

Thanks
    Device: Verizon Note2
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by belogical View Post
    I understand you can do the 1990's thing and hook it up to your PC and copy the pictures over, or eject your SD card and copy/paste.
    LOL That's about right. Hold on while I boot up my Windows 95 machine here and we can plug that sucker right in for ya.

Couldn't this be done by simply uploading to flickr.com and setting your account to private? It's not automatic, but it's then saved to yahoo's servers.

Only negative is there was a story a few months back about some guy storing ALL his photos on his flickr account and then he did some thing with his account and some how deleted this entire library of pictures. If I remember correct it was a error on yahoo's part. Guy made the mistake of not keeping a local back up as well.

BUT that being said I would find that hard to believe that happens on a regular occurrence.
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.