Screwy location data?

Eric S.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Just today my HTC Incredible has started showing the wrong location on the home screen. Instead of locating me in Northern California, it persists in putting me in Geelong, Australia. This of course means that the weather and more importantly the time information that is displayed on the home screen is completely wrong.

I've tried some things to fix it but no luck, like turning on GPS locating, and or power cycling. Sometimes it returns to the correct location briefly but then bam, I'm back in Australia. The funny thing is that if I bring up Google maps, that shows my correct location.

I've had the phone for over two months and never saw this before. Any ideas on what I can do to get the correct location back?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If your talking about the flip clock drag it to the trash and then add it back and choose current location and that should take care of it.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Long press on the clock until you get a highlight around the clock then without lifting your finger drag it to the bottom of the screen and then the clock will turn red then let go.

To add it back hit the + on the bottom right of your screen and choose widget then Clock (HTC).

Brian38501

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening to me since day 1. I am in TN but the phone may have me in China, Germany, Canada, Philadelphia, Brooklyn, Chicago or a number of other places I can't even pronounce. It seems to do this only while I am inside at work. Once I leave work it does fine. I have tried deleting the widget and putting it back but that doesn't work for me either. I am hoping once 2.2 is installed this issue will go away. I really don't expect it to, just hoping.

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'be had this happen twice this week. My phone wants to be on the California coast...not in Tn

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just did a search and didn't find any fixes but did notice a few people with the same problem. You can always set it to a specific location when adding the widget so that way you will have the correct time and weather.

JTDavis86

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ya this is normal on many Android device's and the GPS is screwed up so I guess it will hopefully be fixed in the Froyo update whenever that is released.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Check under Settings -> Location make sure Use Wireless Networks is checked.

Check Settings -> Date & time make sure Automatic, Use network provided values is checked

The clock/weather widget should be pulling it's data from the towers.

Eric S.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting, thanks for the reply. I'm concluding that somehow identifying the current location by the wireless network has gotten it confused, but I wonder why it just started today for me.

I guess for now I'll just force it to use a fixed location, which is not as nice. Another thing about that is that while it usually identifies most of the towns around here as I move around, the fixed locations available to choose are only the big cities (e.g., San Francisco). I wonder why it doesn't let you choose a town that it can otherwise identify as a current location?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Another solution might be buying Beautiful Widgets from the market it has the clock and weather just like the HTC widget but has many more options.

JTDavis86

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Check Settings -> Date & time make sure Automatic, Use network provided values is checked

I tried that a while back but it didn't help, the "Location On" setting never stays checked and only once in a while will it have the actual correct location.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried that a while back but it didn't help, the "Location On" setting never stays checked and only once in a while will it have the actual correct location.

The "Location On" option in Location -> Location Setting is for the GPS. If your turning the GPS on and off it will switch between Location On and 911 only. The important setting in Location is "Use Wireless Networks" it should be checked.

Eric S.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

I definitely had it set that way, and it worked without any problem from when I got the phone two months ago until today.

Here's a thought, is it happening on WiFi only?

Wondering if the time on the router is worng and it's screwing up the clock.

No, I'm not on wifi here. But I am at work, like the other person who reported it. I'll see if it fixes itself when I leave.

The time doesn't seem to be the issue; it's that the current location is wrong, and the time is derived from that. But as I said the funny thing is that if I bring up the Maps app, it shows the correct location. And sometimes I'm able to get the correct location to show up in the clock but only briefly (like a few seconds). So it's somehow interpreting the wireless network info wrong.

JTDavis86

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ya Iv'e been doing that for months and I never change it on my own, it automatically changes modes and I always have to re-check "Location on"

Brian38501

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
For me I have GPS on all the time, Location On always checked, Wireless Networks checked all the time, and it has never happened while connected to WiFi. Unfortunately I can't set the location manually because my location is not on the list of available locations.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The time doesn't seem to be the issue; it's that the current location is wrong, and the time is derived from that. But as I said the funny thing is that if I bring up the Maps app, it shows the correct location. And sometimes I'm able to get the correct location to show up in the clock but only briefly (like a few seconds). So it's somehow interpreting the wireless network info wrong.

Hmmmm. I've had my location lag until it does another sync. But I've never had it change Time Zones on me.

Curiouser and Curiouser.

allisonv7

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. I live in Indianapolis and have it set to use my current location. When I compare the current location's date to Indy's though they are completely different.