I know this is VERY early but wondering your thoughts on...Gingerbread

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I know we are all waiting for Froyo on our Incredibles (Weds. the 18th pleeeeeaaaseee) but I was listening to the Engadget Podcast yesterday and they said something that caught my attention. They said they they feel current Android devices likely will mostly not get Gingerbread. Specifically they mentioned the Incredible and the Nexus 1. Any thoughts on this? I can't see the Nexus 1 being shunned since its a development phone and the Incredible is not going to be that far behind specs wise when Gingerbread comes out. Just wanted to get thoughts from other Incredible owners, is Froyo the end of the line for us?

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Imho i believe that the nexus might be the one to run gingerbread officially since its a vanilla device unlike all the rest, htc-sense, moto-blur, samsung-touchwiz. Since Gingerbread is supposed to stop custom UI's maybe the OEM's might not make such a huge change in user experiecne by changing a customized OS version to a totally new vanilla one.... sucks but thats what i believe goes though their greedy minds. They rather release a new 3.0 device all together.

Sucks since most high end devices today can handle it but thats how OEM's work. They rather u buy a new phone if u want Gingerbread

jbuck1984

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Lets wait for the official specs of gingerbread. If anything we will not get the enhanced ui. Tbh there is no need to fix sense. If gingerbread is solely a ui update then your probably right we may be left in the wind. I do remember reading somewhere that google was going to he changing their ota structure and all updates would he going to all phones simultaneously and Inc fits the gingerbread mold just as well as all phones.... if they don't whatever.... it will be time for a new phone anyway.... and my plans is to take this one offline and mod the hell our of it!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible via Tapatalk

jbuck1984

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I know we are all waiting for Froyo on our Incredibles (Weds. the 18th pleeeeeaaaseee) but I was listening to the Engadget Podcast yesterday and they said something that caught my attention. They said they they feel current Android devices likely will mostly not get Gingerbread. Specifically they mentioned the Incredible and the Nexus 1. Any thoughts on this? I can't see the Nexus 1 being shunned since its a development phone and the Incredible is not going to be that far behind specs wise when Gingerbread comes out. Just wanted to get thoughts from other Incredible owners, is Froyo the end of the line for us?

Sent from my HTC Incredible via Tapatalk

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i can't remember where I read it, but I read something about 1Ghz phones being bottom of the line when gingerbread comes out.

Sent from my Incredible phone using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah seems like I read somewhere that the Incredible would be either, unable to run gingerbread ,or will pushing it if it could :confused: .

If you want the latest and the greatest sometimes more cost are involved , kinda sucks but true ,really with any new stuff now not just phones . I am not gunno(upgrade again so soon) tho if gingerbread requires a new device ,for awhile anyhoo ;)

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
i can't remember where I read it, but I read something about 1Ghz phones being bottom of the line when gingerbread comes out.

Sent from my Incredible phone using Tapatalk

Well I mean it looks like there will be some 1.3ghz processors by then but will that be such a huge difference between ghz? Personally I rather these companies figure out better battery technology. Batteries these days just cannot handle all this power. I hope the incredible gets gingerbread too but I am really happy with it now and think that fray will just make it even more awesome. This is one if the first phones I really feel like I could use until I am fully upgrade eligible and won't try and get an early upgrade for.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I mean it looks like there will be some 1.3ghz processors by then but will that be such a huge difference between ghz? Personally I rather these companies figure out better battery technology. Batteries these days just cannot handle all this power. I hope the incredible gets gingerbread too but I am really happy with it now and think that fray will just make it even more awesome. This is one if the first phones I really feel like I could use until I am fully upgrade eligible and won't try and get an early upgrade for.

I don't know but I don't think they were saying just CPU speed difference would matter. I think they were just referring to all current 1Ghz phones.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

They don't need new battery technology. Just bigger batteries.
I would gladly see a Droid X that is full thickness instead of the bulge and have that space filled with a larger battery.

Sterlic

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the rumors of Gingerbread's minimum specs, take note that they have gotten "kinda sorta debunked." And that they are just that, rumors.

As a consumer I would love to see Google and all the phone manufacturers drop this game of trying to keep everything secret until launch while rumors and leaks fly everywhere, but I guess they think that somehow helps their bottom line.

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would say the first phone to see ginger is a year off, at least.

As far as the dinc getting 3.0....well google's dev phone now is the n1...so they are going to have to come out with a better phone if if won't run the new os..... or if it will run the new os....then I can't see why the dinc couldn't given they are first cousins. And if n1 gets froyo you know that someone will flash it for dinc. But in a year the inc will be akin to the hero.... and we all will be looking at upgrades. crazy, but true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12