Today is the 18th. WHERE'S MY FROYO!!!

garciajbj

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Update to FroYo?

From what I've been reading, it seems that the reason I can't disable Sense and run stock Android on the Incredible is because a lot of the graphics and framework for Android 2.1 are missing on the device. With this in mind, does anyone know if the Incredible would even be physically able to be updated to 2.2 when it comes out? It seems kind of ridiculous to think that HTC would make such an "Incredible" device, only to have it crippled in that manner. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TDAY#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It will just take us longer to get because HTC will have to put sense with it. I'm sure we will be able to upgrade eventually. Probably not on release day though. At least that's how I understand it.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Shed light on what?

If HTC is doing the upgrade, missing parts would mean nothing since whatever is needed would come with the upgrade Rom. It would make no difference if the current version is missing something.

I don't think HTC sees the phone as crippled but rather enhanced with Sense UI.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Shed light on what?

If HTC is doing the upgrade, missing parts would mean nothing since whatever is needed would come with the upgrade Rom. It would make no difference if the current version is missing something.

enhanced for sure! i love sense

garciajbj

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Shed light on what?

Crippled would be the wrong word to describe the phone, I suppose. In fact, I almost prefer the fact that the unnecessary framework was taken out, allowing Sense to really seamlessly run in conjunction with Android. I just assumed that missing framework would mean no update capability, but since that issue has been resolved, I feel much better about the subject. Thank you for all of the replies. This helps me out a lot, as I am debating whether or not to make the switch to Verizon and purchase an Incredible.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
All Sense enabled phones are usually the last to get an update because as someone said HTC has to put Sense on top of Android. Historically it takes a long time to do this but I do see the wait time dwindlind down seeing how Android is bigger than ever and has a bigger consumer base. But don't be upset if your waiting a year to get 2.2. They made get you by with a minor update let's say a 2.1.1, but not 2.2. Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.

At this point, is the Hero even going to get an update?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well the update will only take awhile if they actually change whatever they plug into between 2.1 and 2.2, then Verizon ok'ing it and them pushing it out.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
At this point, is the Hero even going to get an update?

I think there has been, in general, a lot of issues getting 1.5/6 up to 2.0/1. In the US, the Moto Droid is the only phone without 2.1 (i.e. N1, Incredible, EVO all came with 2.1 stock) to have been updated to 2.1 yet (but the Droid Eris is getting it now). So yes, Sense does take a bit more work to update than stock Android, but personally I would say the trade off is worth it. However it would be really nice of HTC to let people quickly and easily switch back and forth between Sense and Stock (perhaps with a restart?) =]

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
All Sense enabled phones are usually the last to get an update because as someone said HTC has to put Sense on top of Android. Historically it takes a long time to do this but I do see the wait time dwindlind down seeing how Android is bigger than ever and has a bigger consumer base. But don't be upset if your waiting a year to get 2.2. They made get you by with a minor update let's say a 2.1.1, but not 2.2. Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.

HTC never released a 2.0 device and had it upgraded to 2.1. That would be the only way to gauge how long it takes to get an upgrade to Froyo.

R

Roy Aguilera

The eris has not waited a year. We should get some more info after the 2.2 unveiling.

newdroidnewb

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Based on nothing but my opinion :) I don't think it will take that much longer to get 2.2 on sense. It was only a couple months after the Droid got 2.1 that the Eris got 2.1 and that was going from 1.5 to 2.1. As already stated there hasn't been a sense phone to go from 2.0 to 2.1 to compare equally but still the Eris wasn't that far behind the Droid.

Also with the Evo and Inc. both running sense I would think HTC will be on top of 2.2 once it gets released.

So yeah, we'll probably have to wait a little while longer, but I wouldn't count on it being a long time.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@newdroidnewb

Great point. The EVO and the Inc basically have the same internal hardware and software. Both are on the same 1Ghz Snapdraggon, both have same resolution screen, both on 2.1 now, both are CDMA (with EVO adding in WiMax). I would bet both phones are updated by HTC fairly quickly as they are the flagship Android phones in the US for the foreseeable future.

I want my 450% speed boost and full flash!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
@newdroidnewb
I want my 450% speed boost and full flash!

I'll believe that when I see it. And as far as full flash goes, I'm not too sure if I want it now.....I haven't had any issues on flash sites with the setup I got now and have actually grown to prefer it.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll believe that when I see it. And as far as full flash goes, I'm not too sure if I want it now.....I haven't had any issues on flash sites with the setup I got now and have actually grown to prefer it.

I think the most important thing about getting full Flash on Android and the Inc specifically would be the possibility of a native Hulu app for Android. And if Hulu never gets around to it, I am sure there will be tons of apps/hacks/workarounds once Flash gets up and running.

Especially on that glorious 4.3 inch screen on the Evo, I think alot of people would love streaming some Hulu goodness straight to their phone. It also helps make up for the lack of an iTunes-like store for video.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the most important thing about getting full Flash on Android and the Inc specifically would be the possibility of a native Hulu app for Android. And if Hulu never gets around to it, I am sure there will be tons of apps/hacks/workarounds once Flash gets up and running.

Especially on that glorious 4.3 inch screen on the Evo, I think alot of people would love streaming some Hulu goodness straight to their phone. It also helps make up for the lack of an iTunes-like store for video.

You do realize hulu blocks mobile devices right? Flash has nothing to do with it. The only way we would get a working hulu app would be if hulu approved it, if they did then we could watch now.

Hulu may be blocking mobile browsers. // Current

For instance they are blocking skyfire now from transcoding the site, which puts no more strain on their site than someone watching the video. So don't get hyped up about options you may not have.

As far as hulu goes personally, I quit using that site about a year ago, but I have a media center pc with orb, I would rather have a slingbox setup. Record what I want to watch and access it across the internet. Not as easy as hulu because you actually have to set stuff up, but I like having the option to fast foward through commercials myself, and have access to all my files.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You do realize hulu blocks mobile devices right? Flash has nothing to do with it. The only way we would get a working hulu app would be if hulu approved it, if they did then we could watch now.

This is true, but having flash on Android would remove the technical barrier from using Hulu on Android as they use Flash for their videos. What I am saying is that having full native Flash would allow Hulu to make a native app, should they desire. Right now, they would have to recode their stuff in h.264 or something.

Plus, maybe I want to watch some homestarrunner.com in my spare time ;)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This is true, but having flash on Android would remove the technical barrier from using Hulu on Android as they use Flash for their videos. What I am saying is that having full native Flash would allow Hulu to make a native app, should they desire. Right now, they would have to recode their stuff in h.264 or something.

Plus, maybe I want to watch some homestarrunner.com in my spare time ;)

Most flash video's are h.264 with flash wrappers anyways. Like youtube ;)

I think it would be awesome to access these things, it all boils down to how well it actually runs on the phone. I'm figuring at least as twice as well as flashlite, and praying for totally smooth but who knows.

I want flash that doesn't crash my phone too, so maybe they have done some really extensive testing on it as well. Guess we will see at I/O this week.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000